1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Attendance - First three days

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scott calhoun, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Here are the attendance numbers for the first 3+ days of the Grand. The numbers for this year came from the RJ Stuart website, and the numbers for last year came from the Grand program.

Day 1 was down, but day 2 and 3 are up compared to last year. These figures do not include the AIM shoot on Saturday (day 4), just the "regular" Grand events.

Day 1:

Singles: 2009-581, 2008-805
    Hdcp: 2009-646, 2008-775
    Doubles: 2009-523, 2008-633

Day 2:

Singles: 2009-829, 2008-821
    Hdcp: 2009-848, 2008-809
    Doubles: 2009-686, 2008-628

Day 3:

Singles: 2009-1213, 2008-1007
    Hdcp: 2009-1206, 2008-1007
    Doubles: 2009-879, 2008-805

Day 4:

Doubles: 2009-1001, 2008-1129

Scott

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

We're growing.

3. pdq

pdq Member

Nice numbers.

Sorta takes the steam out of peoples posts here that: "trap is dying", "the Grand is dying"; "people these days can no longer afford to travel".

I've never been to the Grand and never plan to, but I'm glad to see it's still drawing the crowds.

Pete

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

For the first 10 events there were 8,421 entries. Should be interesting to see the final total after it's over.

Eric

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Just tried to find a parking spot around the CE Bldg. none, people parking on the grass, very few spots behind the Vendor Bldgs., Camp grounds looking full. Looks to me that people forgot to read all the negative BS. Even seen some Ohio shooters here. Over 500 spuads for today's handicap.

If you are not here you are missing one of the greatest shooting events on this planet.

Don

6. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Is this right? over 500 squads for Handicap?

Berettaman7

7. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Berettaman7,

I am not sure what is going with the squad numbers when compared to entries. I was happy to see 475 squads for Event 11 the Blaser Hcp. Even happier to see one of my shooting buddies broke a 97 in the event! But when I checked the entries this morning on RJ Stuart's website, there were only 1431 entries in event 11 which represents a significant decrease compared to last years 1661 entries in the same event. On a different post I read that they are not using 9 or 10 banks for the Grand program but the squad numbers do not reflect that change. Good luck to all those lucky enough to be shooting there.

Don

8. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Glad to see a positive report. How was the weather/temp. yesterday Aug. 8th and today Sunday Aug. 9th? It was not very pleasant a little farther up north

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

It was hot but the breeze made it acceptable. We are getting a rain as I type and temps are supposed to be in the low to mid 80's for the rest of the week.

If you count the AIM shooters this weekend then the numbers should be up. I heard last night that the shoot was up 20% from last year. What ever as long as we are on the + side. The camp grounds appear full. Based on the economic conditions this is a major + for the shooting community. I have not seen the number of cars in the parking areas as I have this year. A lot of first timers.

Don

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Based on RJ Stewarts numbers of 2156 people classified (this may of increased or not) no records will be broken ... Big crowds and not a lot of shooters it seems like when looking at the tally sheets ... Hell, if they limit the number of shooters per squad to 2 or 3 they could make it look like every shooter in America is there ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

It's always good to see something positive. It looks like the weather is going to be good for the rest of the week and maybe that will help too.

12. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Hey BigDon,

I have not seen your name in the winner's circle yet, what gives? Just kidding. Keep your head down and break 'em all, that what it will take against the group you have out there.

Don

13. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Numbers don't include those of us who were first timers going to do some shopping and see what it was all about. I felt sorry for those shooting in that heat, and it looks like storms are on the way now. But did I have a great time. Next year, I'm bringing the gun.

Hal Hitchcock

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Yeah, give us the good old days at Vandalia, after driving 6.5 hours to get there, when the first three squads were empty and, your squad, the fourth one out, consisted of yourself and your son.

You'd go back the next year and ask for squads in the mid 150's and if you hadn't melted by then your squad would be called and it would be the last of the event and it consisted of, you guessed it, yourself and your son. Ain't nothing perfect, but Sparta is sorta close and has the chance to progress. Vandalia served it's purpose. I loved that place too.

15. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Was down at Sparta yeasterday, looked like a large time was underway!

Semper Fi

Ronbo

16. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

Just got back last night. Shot Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon. No rain, but was warm with a nice steady breeze. Can't call it hot after spending 4 days down there two years ago.
    Very well run, even with the steady breeze of 8-10mph the targets were very nice. Breeze was out of the south, targets were where they were suppose to be. It's the greenest I've seen the place, it's starting to look very nice.
    We had squad numbers in the 500's for the events we shot. They squaded 27 at a time. Lots of shooters.
    Shot the Cabela's Singles on Friday with a shooter from IN. Watched him shoot his very first 100, now that's fun.
    Those who didn't make it missed a very good time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.