1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GRAND ATTENDACE!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rooferbob, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Bad day! Can't even spell but does anyone know if it is up or down or too early to tell yet?

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Yes???????

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It is my understanding that those that could did and those that couldn't didn't.

Curt

4. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Thanks Shooterone!

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Shooterone -

Thanks for that info. Not speculation or guesstimation. Based on real raw numbers. The real test will be the championship targets beginning tomorrow. Either way, a 27% decline in two years ain't good no matter how you slice it.

Jeff

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I trust nobody is surprised by this.

A 15% decline year over year is material.

Any business suffering this type of decline in base business would be concerned.

ANY BUSINESS.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Maybe you don't know business but a 11% drop in this economy is a good day.

Don

8. John55

John55 Active Member

Add up all of the higher costs that we must pay to live these days and it's a wonder that shoots in general have held up as well as they have, attendance wise. I'm hopeful that things will eventually improve, but until they do we're going to look at lower numbers of shooters. Will it ever get back to the numbers we had 20yrs ago, I doubt it. Back in the '70s and early '80s our IL state shoot used to have 200 squads on the state handicap. The past several years it's been half that.

9. primer

primer TS Member

If a 11% drop in this economy is a good day then a plus 1%for the Ohio State shoot would have be a very good day!

10. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

11% drop is not a good day at the Grand. 27% drop in 2 years is even worse. For a month all I've seen on this site is "your not a serious shooter unless you go to the grand". It is not a priority right now. Time and money are the deciding factors. The location is a problem. Just because you build it, doesn't mean they will come. Location, location, location.

11. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Anyone watch NASCAR? How many empty seats have you seen lately? Sell outs are not as common place as last years. Busniess is down everywhere. So the point is? Jake

12. slugger

slugger Member

They turned away a lot of local shooters on the 200 bird event. They won't let you shoot only 100.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

" If a 11% drop in this economy is a good day then a plus 1%for the Ohio State shoot would have be a very good day!"

Lucky to be you!!......

Michigan down, I imagine most state shoots were down........

Since you have all the data, why not let us know how many non-ohio shooters (% wise) were at the ohio state shoot....

14. John55

John55 Active Member

The location is NOT a problem for everybody. Sure, the Grand has lost some shooters due to the move, but it's also gained some shooters due to that move. I know a lot of local shooters, me included, that stopped attending the Grand 10 years and more ago for a variety of reasons. I have met and shot with about a dozen shooters at the Grand this week that have never attended one before...I wonder why they never went to Vandalia? If the Grand was still being held in Vandalia, does anyone here actually believe the current economic troubles wouldn't have had an impact on attendance? C'mon guys, the Grand is in Sparta because the state of ILLINOIS built a great shooting complex that is capable of handling the Grand. Did Ohio or the city of Dayton do anything but show the ATA the door? It might take some years, but eventually the Grand will be grand again...but it will NEVER be back in Vandalia.

15. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

It doesn't have to be at Vandalia, thats not the point. It's not located near a large number of ATA shooters. Don't get me wrong, I want it to succeed. There's been a lot of time, money, and effort put into this facility, but name the population center near the Sparta site that contains the majority of ATA shooters which will support the facility, especially consideting it's cost. Would it have been better near Indianapolis or closer to St.Louis? How many ATA shooters are in those cities? How many ATA shooters live near Sparta compared to say a 3 hour drive from the old Vandalia site. Would another town in Missouri been better? Would Arizona or Florida been better with a mid winter grand in Jan or Feb. Did the BOD have these options? Probably not, considering the time constraints and long tradition of other shoots on competing dates. Ohio could not produce a competitive site and I have not heard from anyone in Ohio who has argued that point or claims they were not given a fair chance. Illinois made an offer that couldn't be refused, but should it have been accepted?

16. John55

John55 Active Member

Mid winter in Florida or AZ would probably not be a good option. I think if you make a 3hr drive from Sparta you will find lots of shooters but can't give any idea as to the number. IL and MO both have a good number of ATA shooters, as does Iowa, Indiana and Kentucky. Given time, these areas will produce more shooters as the word gets out on how great a place to shoot this facility truly is. The other thing you fail to mention is that Sparta also has a great sporting clays facility, as well as cowboy action events. This is not a single use facility! The state and the local area don't have to rely on one big shoot per year to make it work. This means nothing to the ATA folks, but they got a sweet deal from Illinois and I DOUBT that anyone or place in the future will match it.

17. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Slugger, shooters were NOT turned away! They (the shooters) choose not to shoot the posted program. The ATA can't be made the bad guy on this one. Jake

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Location, location my butt. Where are you going to built a facility that we needed near a large metro area without land costs killing the deal?? Check the number of ATA targets thrown in IL prior to Sparta and you will find they were in the top 10 possibly the top 5, so there goes the theory of no shooters in the area.

It doesn't make any difference that people traveled 100s or 1000s of miles to get to Vandalia, to many buckeyes want to pout and stay home because now they have to travel a little bit. It was alright for everyone else but not for them and now they take great glee in the down attendance. The true Ohio ATA shooters are here at the Grand and doing very well I might add.

To have to miss this shoot for personal economic reasons is one thing but some other phony reason is another. You have missed one of the greatest experiences a shooter can have at a premier facility.

I am sure all the Sparta bashing has helped decrease attendance and for that the bitchers and whiners can take great glee. All those that bashed the place for it's hot temps of last year can now slither back into your holes.

The ATA doesn't have to worry about outside sources damaging it, it will be done from it's own so called members. Especially those espousing change, change we got to change.

Don

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Big Don

That is a hell of flinch!!!

Shoot well!

Don (who wishes he was there with his buddies)

20. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Bigdon- better get that finger checked....maybe need a release mouse? LOL. All kidding aside your idea of shooters staying away from Sparta because of a few people (or maybe more than a few) bitching about it is a tad far-fetched. Those who want to shoot there will go, those who don't/can't will stay home. I'd love to go but the finances will not support the trip. Maybe next year or the year after...Only time will tell.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.