1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand American

Discussion in 'Shoot Information, EVENTS, Clinics & Results' started by atra_service, May 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

I know that I could search and probably find all this info, just wanted to see what you all thought. I've never been to the grand so for a 1st timer should I go for Grand week or prelim's week??

I've been told that you have to shoot new shells there is that right?? If so what's their prices (just ballpark) can i bring my own (new)???

I found a schedule of event's but what's the prices to shoot?? Target fee's etc??

Thanks,
    Jeremy

2. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Last year was my first year and I was there for Monday through Friday of the prelim week. It was great! I would suggest you do the same and if I could, I would do the same thing again. (This year my work schedule forces me to shoot Tuesday through Friday of the next week.)

I felt no pressure. Got to shoot from trap 5 to trap 50 something. All the vendors were there, but were not all that busy. Traffic was not too bad. It was an experience I wouldn't trade for anything!

I don't know if you can shoot reloads, but you can certainly take your own shells to shoot. However, shell prices at the shell house on the grounds, (Gamaliel's), and the Sparta Wal-Mart were pretty much competitive with any I have encountered. I had heard that to get a bargain you had to go to Wal-Mart. I went there and compared prices and found myself buying from the shell house. Then won a case of shells for my effforts! (The only thing I won!)

Whatever you choose for a plan...GO!!! You will never regret it! Martinpicker (Jack

3. Don S

Don S Member

Last year, new shells were required for handicap events only. Reloads could be used in singles and doubles. The new shells could be purchased anywhere.

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I haven't seen the rules for playing this years Martin money but as I recall from last year, you need to shoot new shells if you do play the Martin money. Last year you were noy req'd to buy them on the grounds. If you don't play/ want to be eligible for the Martin money, you can shoot reloads for everything.
    Check this yrs GA program when it comes out to be sure what this yrs requirements are for ammo.

5. Don S

Don S Member

Page 20 of last years Grand program under Ammunition. "New shells are mandatory for all handicap events and handicap shoot offs". Be sure to check this years program.

6. Shawn

Shawn Member

New AA's were about $73.00 a flat last year. You can bring them from home or buy them there. Likely will only need new shells for the caps.
    If you can only go for one week I would go for Grand Week.
    It just doesn't get any better then Grand Week.

Shawn

7. charleyj10

charleyj10 TS Member

Don't think AA's will be only $73.00 per flat this year. That would be a very good price if it were.

Charlie

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

atra -- Starting last year reloads are still OK for singles and doubles HOWEVER,new shells are required for all Handicapevents. You can bring them with you or purchase them locally. I usually just buy them at the shell house on the grounds. You can presquad by sending the presquad application you will get in the program or down load it on line. Some of the later events have to be cashiered the day prior or there is a late entry fee. Motel reservations are pretty tight there so it is a good idea to have them before hand! good luck at your first Grand!

9. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Yes the new shell requirement is for all handicap events regardless of the Martin Lewis or not. All the other events can shoot reloads. As for prices the shell house AA's, STS, and Gold Medal's were about $73 and at Wal-Mart they were about $70. You could buy cheaper shells such as Rio's, Gun Club, Super Target, Kemen, Estate, Top Gun, Nobel, etc. but I don't remember the price. Both places were priced very fair and probably cheaper than most people pay for shells where they live. Also they had all kinds (trailer truck loads at both places). About every brand made was for sale.

Also if you bought at Wal-Mart and you were out of state, you needed to show your ATA card and maybe your driver's licence. In state residents had to have a FOID card.

As for ON THE SPOT rebates the rule varied, some required you to by them at the shell house, some did not. Check the rebate rules before you buy them.

10. atra_service

atra_service TS Member

Thanks for your input!! Greatly appreciate it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.