1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GRAND AMERICAN SPARTA ILL ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by KelleyPLK, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

After spending a few days at Ohio ST SHoot listening to almost every shooter
    that I have talked with in state Ohioians and out of state folks also have a bad taste in their mouths from last year when they attended the New shooters complex . They didnt like it and wont be going back . Some dealers also arent going back ? I still will support the Grand Maybe these better shooters wont be shooting and I can sneak in back door and steal a shoot ie win something .Why all the Fretting over Sparta over over over over Sparta ?

P.L. KElley

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Search the forum for the plethora of feedback and commentary on Sparta. Leaving Vandalia is like loosing a family farm that's generations old--a traumatic experience that takes time to get over.

The new place will never be the same, but it is a new chapter in our sport's history. We had a great time last year. If you can go, you should.

Guy

3. carv

carv Member

Leaving Vandalia was not the ATA's choice. But we have moved to a world class facility located in Sparta. I did attend last year and had a great time and will return this year and probibaly for the next 8 years to support our sport. Remember we have a 10 year lease.

4. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Last year was surely the first Grand exerience for someone who thought it was great. This year someone will attend for the first time and also think it is wonderful. No matter where you hold the Grand it is special. You get to compete agianst the best in the nation, no in-state out-of-state trophies here, it is the best versus the best.

The "sour-grapes" shooters who choose not to return will be replaced by someone else, it has been that way for years and will continue. A few years ago I was raising a family and could not afford to shoot the Grand. The ATA still held it without me, and it will be held with or without those who are heartsick about Vandalia.

Do I miss Vandalia? Of course I do, I was there every summer for years, but that is history, it is not coming back and all we have are the memories of that place and those people.

Given the current financial problems in Illinois, it is still amazing to me that they built it in the first place, we should be glad it is there for our use.

5. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

..."Given the current financial problems in Illinois, it is still amazing to me that they built it in the first place, we should be glad it is there for our use."

ric323, nothing amazing about this at all. This is typical government, whether its Fed, state or local. The tax payer will be "billed" for the construction of anything that officials feel that they want built. Look at the lite rail systems that are built with little riders. They serve a few that have access because they live and work "downtown".

Tax payers foot the bill to build sport franchise's new stadiums.

We build new convention centers, then tear down the old ones, sometimes not even 10 years old.

I'm sure you can come up with more examples. Wish I could run my finaces like the government.

Scott

6. John55

John55 Active Member

I attended the Grand in Vandalia many times and always enjoyed it, but last year at the Sparta facility was every bit as nice, IMO. No, there wasn't as many vendors around as in years gone by, but I think that will improve. I don't miss having to park out in the middle of a field and ride a shuttle wagon to the other end of the place every time I needed to get back to my car. Parking right behind my trap bank was great, as was parking behind any of the dealers' buildings or tents. The detractors can stay away if they want, but it's still the Grand and I'm happy as punch we have a place this big and this nice to host the shoot for the ATA.

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The sour grapes crowd will always be there no matter what. I miss Vandalia also, but the fact is we were "evicted". We didn't own the grounds except for a very small plot. Most of what the Grand was held on belonged to the Airport.If some one else owns the park, they can tell you to move your picnic!It's THAT simple. There will always be some of the "if they don't build it in my back yard, I'm not going" crowd, but Hey, it's their loss! Is Illinois my pick of locations?(NO!) , but the fact remains it's THERE. They built it(the ATA didn't have the money) and the Grand will go on. I admit the dealers have a much harder proposition in Sparta, and it may force some of the smaller ones out. That is a negative,but there isn't much the ATA can do about some of it. There were MANY positives. Lots of parking, drive to your bank, good resturant, the shoot went smooth and fast. The Illinois folks were friendly and (WANTED US THERE)! Many in the Dayton area acted like they could give a Rat's behind if we came or not. Sparta is a very nice facility. As far as the small group of nay sayers, too bad for them. It's hard to find much wrong with the shoot itself. There were a few bugs,but for the FIRST YEAR, I thought it went GREAT! Heck, two years ago there were people on this sight that were saying it would never happen! If some of the Eastern shooters don't want to come back, then fine. It's a free country, but the Grand will go on with or without them.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Mr. Kelly; You talked to the wrong Ohioians as many went to the Grand and are going again. Those that whine want it back in there backyard like before. There was no place to go so what was the ATA to do. If they stay home and suck their thumbs it will be their loss. If you want an enjoyable shooting experience then go to Sparta if not then stay home and comiserate the Ohioians.

Don

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Let's help the Illinois government and make a deal to buy the whole shooting facility. If we had a ten-year plan to pay for the facility we might end-up owning it. There was a pride of ownership in Vandalia and it took years to pay it off, but the common wish to own a home grounds unified trapshooters across the country and a plan to own the Sparta grounds could reignite that same feeling of loyalty and common interest.

The State achieved their goal of converting a played-out coal pit into a money making opportunity for the good folks of Sparta. Now the ATA can offer to take control of the facility and eventually own it. It would give the ATA a purpose for setting-up an organization form that would require continuity. When the State sets a price they can always blame the politicians of the past of over paying for the construction - - and today's payments can go toward today's budget deficit.

10. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I went to Vandalia for many years and had a great time. I also went to Sparta and enjoyed it very much. The people of Sparta, Illinois State Police, and the ATA did a great job of hosting the Grand American in Sparta. I am very appreciative that Sparta, and the state of Illinois made the Grand a reality for us to continue to enjoy the in Illinois. I appreciated the police helping with traffic , did they EVER help in Vandalia? In a word, NO. Coming out of the old west end parking lot was a total nightmare every day in Vandalia. Restroom facilities were less than adequate in Vandalia. I, for one, like the new location. Great back ground, ice water at every other trap. Lets be fair , the Grand was BETTER in Sparta.
    I believe if people would stop complaining about Sparta and give it a chance they would enjoy the Grand just as much as they did in Vandalia. I am going back again this year, and will continue to support the ATA .
    I hope to see may of my friends there.

Charlie Becknell

11. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

CHANGE is the key word. Some run around their whole life avoiding it.

Semper Fi

12. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I went to the Grand last year, and I had a good time there. I got my BT-100 tuned up by the fine people at Browning for the sum of $25.00! I also was given friendly advice by many of the factory reps. I was amazed by the good nature of the venders in tent row, despite the dust and hot weather they had to endure. I could go on about the good food, etc but I think you get my drift. In short, I will be back this year. Maybe I will see some of the good people from this forum there also. Have a good evening, Rodbuster.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Many Ohioans showed their displeasure by not going to Sparta. The numbers were published, they were noticible by their absences. The rest of us decided to give Illinois a chance. I for one, plan on being back..

Jim Chapman

14. Arkie

Arkie Member

Sent my camping form in yesterday, looking forward to the Grand.

15. JLW

JLW TS Member

I attended last year and despite the problems, I would like to go back. I doubt if any large event was handled well the first year.

I think Ill. needs to keep the trollies tho'; just manage them better. There is no reason they can't depart on a specified schedule with a couple of trollies in reserve for peak useage. W/O mass transit, there will be a traffic jam around the event center.-Jerald

16. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Thank You ! ALL these are truw shooters talking now !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.