1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand American Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Murphy, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Murphy

Murphy Member

I was watching the Outdoor Channel today and it was showing the Grand American at Sparta. I have 2 questions. 1) The "main event' $100,000. to the winner, does it make a winner a professional since he/she wins $'s. 2) In qualifing for the final the shooter's seem to be shooting from different distances and in the final they still shoot from diffeerent yardage, seems an advantage for closer shooters, please explain. Thanks Dave

2. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

If winning $ at an ATA sanctioned event qualified a shooter as a 'pro', there'd be a lot of pros out there who, theoretically, would then NOT be amateurs; this, in turn, would then disqualify them from membership in the AMATEUR Trapshooting Association and also from further competition (because they are professionals by the commonly accepted standard).

Can't speak to your 2nd question.

Gene in Illinois

3. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

1. It would but there is no professional category.
    2. You shoot from your assigned handicap yardage. It would seem that there would be an advantage but that is the way the game is played. It probably is an advantage for a person just starting the game of trap that has not been handicaped to their eventual yardage. Otherwise it probably is not.

4. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

It would seem logical, if you are standing closer it would be easier.
    Exception to the rule , our long yardage shooters , shoot incredible averages.
    Last week end I saw a young man( 14 ) from Utah, Not a big boy.
    Broke 98 from 27 yd. & 100 in doubles . Impressive EH !! Both scores were tops.
    This was at the Az. State shoot. The final 10 come from all aspects of our game.
    Young & Old.

5. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

6. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Given there will be no $100,000 event at this years Grand, conclude your own answer. Jake

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

That must of been a rerun, the same person won it again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Gene???? I understand you are classing hypothetically if they won they would be a pro and by default not be qualified for the ATA. But dont we truely have some pro's??? and if we agree they are "pro's" ie, Campbell, types etc. So why wouldnt they be banned from the ATA?? I realize they are not but your comment brings another question...Should they be banned from local competition in the spirit of "fairness"? heck maybe they are IDK and not trying to be a smartazz here either. Maybe its just a ethical thing???

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The ATA cannot afford to ban anybody, they should have one of those guys or girls swinging the sign around on the corner to hustle up some business ... Location, location, location and promote, promote, promote are very important business factors for expansion of ones business ... Everyone says they want to shoot against the best, well here is your chance but bring lots of towels and bandaids to help control the bleeding after getting your ass handed to you ... Pro's, what you talkin bout Willis ..? Glad I could help ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Banning anyone who wins $$ trapshooting leaves very few shooters who then continue the cycle to extinction ..

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

In the shoot offs, do they shoot their new yardage, or their yardage when they qualified?

12. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

For any handicap shoot-off, for $100K, $100, or zero, you always shoot at the yardage that qualified you for the shoot-off. Not your new yardage.

At Michigan one year they were shooting two handicaps one day. I got a punch in the first one and qualified for a shoot-off, so then shot the second event at the new, longer yardage. Then at the end of the day went back for the shoot-off for the first event and shot from the original yardage (the one I shot the event from).

Scott

13. Murphy

Murphy Member

Thanks for the info, not complaining but really did not now if the $'s were causing a problem as they would in golf or tennis? Jake, has the gentleman who put up the $100,000 last year decided not to do it this yr. I was able to attend a couple years in Vandalia and hope to attend this yr. in Sparta. great sport, great fun.

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The Grand will be Grand but no $100,000 grand.

Hap

15. gunfighter001

gunfighter001 Member

I'm with Berry WTF

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.