1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand American - Program Change Idea

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by DJSims, Sep 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJSims

DJSims Member

The Grand American has days later in the shoot that have only 100 targets per day for most shooters. The Thursday “Champion of Champions” is only for the State Shoot Champions, and is not available for all of the shooters.

I propose that a concurrent event, non-HOA doubles, be thrown on the east fields, and use the west fields for the “CofC” event. This would be registered targets with awards, but would not be meaningful for the participants in the “CofC”. The doubles go faster, lots of income, and with the field split east and west, would finish at similar times.

Another thought would be to let all shooters shoot the 100 singles, and let RJ Stuart sort it out in the computer. It ain’t that hard!

Similar thought for Friday. Start with a doubles event, then on to the handicap championship. If you don’t want to shoot it, then don’t! This would be another non-HOA event available, with income and participation. My trip from Arizona was not to finish at 11:30, and wait for the next day.

The move to random assigned fields was welcomed by me and my shoot squad-mates. More targets over 125 fields allows lots of shot in the air. This new facility still allows the ATA to re-think the 80+ years of Vandalia.

2. trapper

trapper TS Member

Or, the CofC could run concurrent with the CTC, or, it could be eliminated completely. I would suspect that the majority of shooters are not even aware of this event and/or how one qualifies. I would like to see how many actual Champions particpated and how many were the actual Champion representing their state versus the r/u, who is entitled to shoot if the Champion is not present.
    In its place, another event could be held which everyone could participate in.

3. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I'm with Mr. Sims....more doubles !!.......Uncle Sam, Pa.

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

If there were too many events, when could we visit the vendors, who are a big part of the shoot?

Ed Yanchok

5. trapper

trapper TS Member

I like replacing the CofC with an event that everyone can participate inbut - no 300 target days during prelim or Grand Week. Hopefully next year will not be as hot/humid.

6. Don S

Don S Member

The Saturday events attract more local shooters. Ending the shoot on Friday excludes too many weekend shooters.

7. 870

870 Well-Known Member

They just tried ending on a Friday and were chastised for that on this site. The ATA must feel like there is no way to make anyone happy!

8. canada

canada Member

Champion of champions could not be shot concurrently with another event. It is an honor to shooters who were fortunate enough to win their state or provincial championship, and a chance for them to be in the spotlight. It also is another event that has all-american points available, only to state champions though, which is also a reward really.

What i'm saying basically is that C of C is a prestigious event and should be left the way it is.

9. Doug Sims

Doug Sims TS Member

canada -

Do you travel the distance to have only 100 targets available per day?

The income from a non-HOA event could be a nice boost, and the ATA could use the dollars. Even have a money pay out with ties divide so no shoot off!

Doug Sims

10. ky205

ky205 Member

The C of C event only takes about an hour and a half there is another event that day. Also if the Grand ever gets back to the attendence that they had at Vandalia, seven and eight hundred squads of handicap on Thurs. & Fri. is about all they can handle.

11. erm

erm Member

I like the DB Bill's idea of offering other formats outside of the normal program. Handicap doubles? Buddy shoots?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.