1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GRAND AMERICAN MEDALLION AWARDS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I've been to the Grand coming up on five years now and I still don't understand the Medallion Award thing.

The program states (pg 54):

Awarded for Events 17, 18, 19

Champ, Runner-up, Third

Each Category

Each and every yard (for hcp)

Here's the part that I'm confused about:

"(A) Only shooters who did NOT win a program award will be eligible for these awards."

Does that mean for hcp event 17 for example the 13th place score gets the medallion? The 4th place in yardage group, except that they give one for each and every yard?

For singles and doubles, after the program trophies that leaves 4th-6th. If the preceding is the correct interpretation, why do they refer to these awards as Champion, Runner-up and Third, when in reality the recipients would be fourth, fifth and sixth?

Or does the shooter have a choice of either a Program Award, or a Medallion Award?

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box, but I'm not retarded either; nonetheless, I haven't been able to figure out how this works by my lonesome.

Someone who knows, please clarify. Karla??????

Guy Babin

2. Terry L A

Terry L A TS Member

Guy: These awards are the "feel good appearance awards". As attendance shrinks the awards committee tries to find ways to make shooters feel good about attending (so they will return the next year)-thus the medallion awards. In my opinion these awards diminish the value of a "grand" trophy. Shoot well and stay cool, Terry

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

So no body knows how these work?

Guy

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Guy, it is not a choice of trophy or medallion, the medallions are additional awards that come after the trophies, so their value is less than a regular trophy.

The first thing I won at a Grand was a medallion, and I was really happy to get it. But when I won a handicap trophy in a shoot off in 2008, that meant a lot more to me. I guess that's the way one has to look at it.

I don't think it does any good for the older guys to resent the awarding of the medallion trophies. For those that have what they call "real" trophies, how many of you have a Grand Championship ring? Looking at it from the Championship perspective, THOSE are the REAL trophies...everything else is just a feel good award. So why award anything but the rings?

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks Devi, but I'm not addressing the merit of the awards--just wondering out loud about the technicalities of who gets them.

No controversy please from the rank and file!

If an event has let's say five program "real" trophies 1st-5th; do the 6th, 7th and 8th place finishers get the "Champion, Runner up and Third" Medallions?

Guy

6. recurvyarcher

Yes, Guy...that's the way it works. Also, I was addressing the other poster about the merit thing.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks.

I wonder why they refer to them as Champ, runner up and third then in the program every year?

That's the part that cornfused me, and does seem a bit hokey for a lack of a better term--not that it matters. I'd be happy to get one.

Me

8. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

Guy,

In handicap the medallions are awarded to the top 3 scores in each yardage group (in this case each yardage is its own group), with the exception that shooters already winning a trophy in the event aren't eligible. It's hard to exactly say what "place" the medallions signify because they don't use the same yardage groups as the event trophies. They're definitely the bottom rung of prizes awarded at the Grand, but considering how many people walk away from the Grand without winning anything, they are more than a "thanks for coming" "feel good" award.

As far as I recall, the medallions were added to the Grand program in reaction to all of the "27 yarders win everything" complaints. So, now we have fewer place trophies, more yardage group trophies, and medallions -- and people crab about "everyone winning a trophy".

--Dan

9. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Thanks Dan. I think it's a good thing, but do wish they'd find a way to refer to them that better characterizes the relitive placement. Granted this is more complicated for the reasons you clearly cited.

So far all I've ever brought home from the Grand was a good tan, Grand pins, some of my best scores ever, and great memories. These are the "feel good" awards.

Placing anywhere in the top 20 in any event of this scale is very significant in my view.

Thankfully I have the opportunity to try again this year.

Guy

10. recurvyarcher

Guy, you MIGHT have had one, since I know that you walked away from a shoot off at the Grand without knowing that you were in it. I did that, too. I could had a shot at a week in a Bug Bus. :)

11. indycamster

indycamster Member

The Medallion Awards are for NEW 2010 Members ONLY. It's right there in the book, the awards are concurrent with the regular events. So, if you break 200 straight, and claim any other program award, you are not eligible for the Medallion Award.
    I think it is a good idea.

12. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Sorry indycamster, but I believe you are wrong about that.

The Grand Program (pg. 54) indicates that for Events 17, 18, and 19, Champion, Runner-up, and Third Medallions will be given to 2010 New ATA Members.

These are in addition to the "open" Medallions that are being given in those events.

13. indycamster

indycamster Member

I stand corrected. Thanks, V10.
    See you on the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.