1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand American in August - Confused

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by QuillDesign, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

I've tried to look this up myself without luck - and since trapshooting is fairly new to our family, we haven't quite figured out the whole game yet.

I'm trying to figure out what dates we need to be at the Grand American in August.

On the shootATA.com site, there is a list of events, but it's not detailed enough for me to figure out "when" we need to be there.

My son is shooting as a Sub Junior (7th grade). If any of you seasoned folks could explain the event structure, like when we would want to be there or at least point me to a place that describes the different events so we can understand it that would be great!

Sorry if the question is vague - but my understanding is somewhat vague already.

2. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The Grand American is a ten day tournament. This year the start date is August 3rd and the end date is August 13th.

The Grand American is comprised of two sort of "mini" tournaments. Preliminary Week starts on August 3rd and ends on August 7th. Grand Week starts on August 8th and ends on August 13th.

You can consider Preliminary Week to be a "warm-up" for Grand Week.

The "big" Championship events are on Grand Week. The Singles Championship (aka the Clay Target Championship) is a 200 target event on Wednesday, August 10th, of Grand Week. The Doubles Championship is on Friday, August 12th. And the big Handicap Championship (The Grand American Handicap) is on the 13th.

Preliminary week has its own High Overall, High All-Around type awards, but the prestigious trophies are on Grand Week.

Generally the advice I give to first-time Grand attendees who can't come for the entire time is to start shooting on Saturday of Preliminary Week. That gives you two days to get "acclimated" and get used to the size of the place, the number of people, and just generally the whole Grand experience before the "serious" business of Grand Week starts.

If you're still not sure about what's what, send me a PM, or call me. My number is listed on the ATA's website.

Scott Hoover

ATA Delegate, Utah

3. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

For sure be there that second week. Good luck to your son, it's exciting!

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I'm not possitive, but I thought the serious "Junior" days of the shoot were the very first days in the first week. Best of Luck to your son!!! Break-em all. Jeff

V10, Yes Aim, and all the Young shooters. Like Junior World is to skeet??? Sub Sub Junior to Colliate class. Aim to SCTP. Break-em all. Jeff

5. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

I don't know of any "serious" junior days.

If you are referring to AIM, AIM shoots their championship concurrent with the NRA Singles (Saturday and Sunday of Preliminary Week.)

6. exnavy81

exnavy81 TS Member

The AIM Grand Championship is will be shot during the NRA singles on Aug 6 and 7th,

7. QuillDesign

QuillDesign Member

Thank you in advance to all who've responded - Scott sent you PM

8. SD Trap Family

SD Trap Family TS Supporters TS Supporters

Paul, I will send you an email to introduce ourselves and we will also try to answer any questions you might have about The Grand.

We can meet you at the facility to help show you around as well if you want.

It is a great place.

Bud Bartholow

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Bartholow family know their stuff. Take them up on their offer. Finer folks, you'll never meet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.