1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*** Grand American Help Site ***

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

If you are anticipating coming to the 2010 Grand American and need some help, I'll try.

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Barry,

I would like to win the GA Handicap this year. I will be very grateful and give you 75% of my winnings.

I trust this is reasonable compensation for your assistance. If you get a better offer, let me know.

Thank you for taking time to help fellow shooters. Even a bum like me.

Don Verna

3. Barry C. Roach

I have it writing folks! 75%. Anybody up the offer?

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Barry, I cannot find lodging....can I stay in your spare bedroom?? that would be a great help....

5. Barry C. Roach

Frank C. There's room on the floor of my corn dog stand. You can wash up in the sink.

6. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Maybe I need help. While multiple 200 singles events are not my favorite, it is trapshooting, my favorite sport. Doubles are fun, but my resources are limited, and I'd rather shoot Saturday and Sunday, singles and handicap events, at local clubs.

Now as far as handicap at the Grand... When you percieve that many All Americans will routinely shoot a handicap score higher than your singles average (I'm an A shooter), why would you go?

I shoot a high score of 93 to win a local shoot with 25 shooters, and I'm back on the 27 yard line. I need help to understand "why I should go to the
    Grand".

I don't want to reduce this thread into a "whats wrong with the handicap system", as I believe it actually works, at the local level. It does not work at the Grand, in my opinion, and I believe it reduces shooters incentive to go there, and COMPETE, ON A LEVEL FIELD, which is what HANDICAP shooting (I believe) is about.

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I would like to win the Grand American Handicap BUT I have a better chance of getting hit by lightnig, Getting run over by a New York cab, Slipping and breaking my neck on this Pennsylvania ice, BUT i love trapshooting and will continue to shoot.

8. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

It's like a Dirty Harry movie, where Harry has you on the ground, with his Cannon pointed at you, and says... "I know what your thinking, "Did I shoot 99 or 100 straight, in all the excitment I forget, but the question you have to ask yourself is... Do You Feel Lucky? Well... DO YOU PUNK?"

9. TennTrap

TennTrap Member

Hey Barry, Don't forget to bring those extra corn dogs home to your next door neighbors... me and Maggie.

10. Barry C. Roach

Shooter R. All I can tell you is how I felt when I decided to go to my first Grand back in 1975. I was so excited I could hardly sleep for the week before getting in my old '67 International pickup and heading east to Ohio. I didn't have enough money to stay in a motel and planned to stay in the bed of the truck under my homemade topper. They wouldn't let me sleep on the grounds so I stayed in Smedely's Chevrolet used car lot at night.

I couldn't shoot all the events as funds were low so I had to pick and choose what I shot. Since I didn't shoot doubles then I picked what singles and handicap I could afford. I really didn't think I WOULD win a trophy but I knew that I COULD win a trophy. I didn't think about winning. I thought about competing. I wanted to soak up all the history of trapshooting in America and Vandalia did not disappoint. To walk on the same ground as all the greats thrilled me. The Hall of Fame was like going to church. Vendor's Row was terrific. Any and everything you could ever want was there. I was in trapshooting heaven and the bottom line was I HAD FUN. I met folks at that first Grand that have remained friends all my life.

Those are the reasons I went to my first Grand and they remain the same today.

The Grand is a bit like attending a pro golf tournament with the additional feature of being able to bring your sticks and go up against the best in the world on the biggest and best venue in the world - especially in handicap. You do have the greatest chance there and I would concentrate on the handicaps. There are a lot of places in yardage groups and you will not be shooting against everybody in singles, being protected by your class.

When you go to the Grand you become a part of it. When you go to the Grand you become part of history. It's not just another shoot. I hope I helped.

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Ahah! So you DO run the Corn Dog Stand!!! LOL

12. Barry C. Roach

There's one of those good Grand friends of mine now, ShooterR. That's Wally who, by-the-way, came all the way from eastern Tennessee and won a trophy. He didn't have any guarantee he'd win a trophy - but he did. We've become buds and I would do anything to help him and I know he would for me. I love his dog Maggie too.

I'll have the corn dogs or maybe even something better. See you there Wally!

13. Barry C. Roach

I'm the Korndog King, Frank.

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I always thought of the Grand American in the old 60's term: a "happening"...lots of fun built around a very competitive event. Absolutely worth going if you can. Best Regards, Ed

15. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I was with SMSNYDER till he was going to get hit by the New York cab, no way in hell that's happening to me. I ain't go'in there! LOL. Barry, you get me to a 98 or 99 from the 23, you can have 80%, PLUS,free beer for the evening. Bob

16. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Thanks Barry. I've been to the Grand (Vandalia) twice with friends and I remember it like it was yesterday. It was special. I guess I'm a little frustrated at a few issues with tournament class handicap.

17. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Barry, Aside from the bs you have a good thing started info from a shooter. First timers to the grand should jump on this

jpark

18. Barry C. Roach

What BS Molly?

19. Chipper77

Chipper77 Member

"The Grand is a bit like attending a pro golf tournament with the additional feature of being able to bring your sticks and go up against the best in the world on the biggest and best venue in the world - especially in handicap. You do have the greatest chance there and I would concentrate on the handicaps. There are a lot of places in yardage groups and you will not be shooting against everybody in singles, being protected by your class.

When you go to the Grand you become a part of it. When you go to the Grand you become part of history. It's not just another shoot."

Last year was my first and hopefully not last GAH. You said it best.....When you go to the Grand you become a part of it. It was a little bit overwhelming at first, but it was an awesome event. I sure wish one of the people I was with felt the same way.....not just go back to the damn motel after shooting. I'll be back, but not with that clunker.

20. TennTrap

TennTrap Member

Look forward to seeing you again Barry. Maggie is ready learn something new for a treat.
    Wally

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.