1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand American Hdcp is down by 33% in 3 years

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

2009 Grand attendance was estimated to be Over 7,000 only third of that amount showed. I am only speaking of the GAH Grand American Handicap which is the largest attended and participated event.

Forget about entries, how many shooters actually attended?

The only event that really shows participation is the GAH!

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Hey there Gary. Why don't you address the questions raised on your other post about the pattern your gun throws instead of starting new ones. What are you, some sort of Democrat?

ss

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

What was once the biggest trapshoot in the World is fast becoming the biggest little trapshoot in the World ... Location, location, location, did I mention location ..? I have been to Sparta, but never been there to shoot and never will be ... By the way, I never say never but in this case I'll make an exception ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

Gary - clarify that for us. If a person doesn't enter, he's not shooting. He's just a spectator. So there's shooters/entrants and there's spectators or whatever we call the supporting cast. Do you mean folks who pre-register and don't show?

If you're talking about the GAH itself (entries), I think the decline has been about 13-15% a year for the past 4-5 years.

5. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

That's a helluva lot less than a lot of shooters stock portfolio went down over the same period of time. Get it Gary?

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I think the decline is a shame and I wish it wasn't so.

But I have to agree that it's all about location.

If the shoots at the Cardinal Center keep increasing as fast as the Grand is declining, it won't be long before the CC shoots will eclipse the Grand.

Curt

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Curt It did that the first year .

8. racer

racer TS Member

Longsnot- tell us about a few things you like.. Dan

9. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Cuban have you checked the numbers last year on the shoots north of columbus?
    Economy doesn t seem to effect that place.

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Lack of available lodging has ALOT to do with it, I'm sure. I was looking to book a motel for the Jr World Skeet shoot at the end of july. Now this is going to be a small shoot in comparison to the grand, so the burden on local lodging is going to be MUCH lower. I looked at the holiday inn express right there in sparta, and they did have rooms the first time I looked, but they would have been 80 for wed and thurs night, and 100 for friday and saturday night. When I looked again, everything was already booked. The closest motel that I could find that was reasonably priced was in Caseyville, an hour and a half away, which I where i stayed when I attended the grand as a visitor, not a shooter, in 08, which would have tacked another $40 in gas on just going back and forth b/w the motel and club.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The Grand will continue to have problems with attendance as long as the Ohio and other eastern US shooters continue to avoid it, just to prove their point.

The problem's not Sparta, It's those mentioned above. It is as simple as that. It's has become a mission to punish the ATA for taking away their beloved Grand so they took their ball and went home.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I really think it's a travel and hotel issue. I'm planning to go this year for the first time, and I can already see that a hotel is going to be an issue.
    Like many, I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to go till approx. 2 weeks before the event. Will I find a room?

13. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I agree with Setterman.

I've attended the Grand the last 2 years and it's frustrating trying to find an adequate hotel at a reasonable distance and I don't mean 45 minutes to an hour plus.

My wife and I grew up in IL, but let's face it folks it's not close to civilization such as Chicago, Rockford, Rock Island, Peoria, or even St. Louis.

Fact: Build more hotels or cabins and they will come...

TNCoach

14. Setterman

Well this "5 year old brat" won't stay in a dump, or drive an hour and a half every day just to go to the Grand. They should have built the place around a population source with some rooms. Poor planning.

15. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

The Grand is what it is.......located near the center of the country with a beautiful facility......if you don't want to attend, just stay home & whine about the old days. The shoot will go on with or without you or me.

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Setterman

"They should have built the place around a population source with some rooms. Poor planning."

Very good so tell us all with all the populated areas that proposed land in populated areas with some rooms which one should the ATA have chosen?????

I would love to here a solution to the problem by those that feel their answers to the problem are the only ones.

Bob Lawless

17. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Honest to God, sometimes I wonder how some of you get by in your day to day life, let alone make it to a trapshoot. It does however provide a clue as to why a rotating bank system can cause so much confusion.

Obviously everyone on here has access to the internet, have any of you that "can't find a room" used the internet to find lodging for the Grand, or do you just rely on what you hear regarding the availability. It's true, there's only one hotel in Sparta, the HI, and it's usually booked. You'll have to expand out past there, but I can guarentee there's no need to stay 90 minutes away unless you absolutely want to. If you do it's your fault due to poor planning.

How many of you already have rooms booked for this year's Grand? How many of you know that you can make a reservation at most hotels up to 51 weeks in advance without any cost, and can cancel usually the day of arrival (some hotels require 2 or 3 days notice)? I've been every year the Grand was in Sparta, and never driven more than about 40 minutes from the hotel to the facility.

For those of you that think $75 - $100 per night is too much money, you should get out a little bit more. It's 2010, stuff doesn't cost the same as it did in 1962. I travel quite a bit, trapshooting and otherwise, and a decent hotel that I'm not afraid to take my shoes off and also not afraid my car will be broken into costs more than $49 a night.

Scott

18. Hill topper

Hill topper Member

TN coach,

I used to live in Ill. and I can tell you from experience that Chicago, Rockford, Rock Island are not trapshooting mecas.
    Don't even try to start a new gun club in that area.

Bring or rent some type of RV and stay on the premises, works for me

ed

19. perazzi03

perazzi03 TS Member

i hope the grand can make it at least one more year cause i plan to go this year. oh by the way im from ohio

20. Setterman

And ladies and gentlemen, thats how all this Sparta/Vandalia/Cardinal BS gets started. "5 year old brats", "just stay home and whine", "it has become a mission since taking away their grand". I got news for you guys, 90% of the trap shooters from Ohio, Michigan, and similiar states don't go to the Grand because it's less convenient, and now more costly. It's not about sore feelings. We do however hear horror stories about hotel rooms, driving time, lack of places to eat and entertainment.

Bob, I wasn't informed as to all the available alternate locations. I wasn't part of the in crowd or decision making group, nor do I wish to be. It seems communication with the members really sucked at that time, and most people like me have more important things going on in our lives. So where the Grand is or will be is secondary. But, when people start complaining about attendance being down, there is a reason. No one can blame those that now live farther away. They should have thought of that. Do the Illinois shooters replace the Ohio shooters? Did the ATA examine how many shooters are with in 100 miles of Sparta, 200,300,400,500? How do those numbers compare with the Vandalia site? I would think these questions were considered. Now we have to live with the current situation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.