1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand American handicap new shell enforcement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1oldtimer, Jul 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Shooting new shells mandatory on Handicap events. How close will this be enforced? Do some shooters shoot illegal loads and get away with it, 1- 1/4oz. of shot for example.Reloads? Have you ever heard of someone breaking the rules,then getting caught. Strange things do happen ?
    ^

2. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

Oldtimer...........Everyone on your squad will be watching!!! Everyone in the squad waiting will be watching!!! RUN'EM

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If You win, we'll cut your shells open..

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Certainly someone could cheat. They could also cheat at any ATA shoot. But I believe very few do. Shooter integrity enforces several of our rules very well.

Pat Ireland

5. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

For the chance to garner a hundred grand, you know that some fool and/or fools will attempt to cheat. It's the nature of the beast just like sandbagging a yard or two on their cards.

Curt

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

A greater effort will be put to reducing yardage than will be gained by hotter loads. You still have to hit them...

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

How much of an advantage could realistically be garnered from illegal loads???

I think talent and performance by far outweighs anything one could do to a shell.

We are, for the vast majority, people of integrity.

Guy Babin

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Have any of you ever seen a club challenge a shooters shells? I always heard they have to replace your shells that they take. To be honest I have never seen a club do this despite shooting next to some shooters with boomers.
    Steve Balistreri

9. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Speak for yourself Guy....................I'm the most dasderdly,dishonest,vile,uncouth,cheatenest SOB ya ever seen.
    Cut my shells open,and all you'll find is 1 7/8 of 9's.Thats legal ain't it?
    Oh,by the way,I still can't hit anything.I'm thinking about getting a 8 ga.,I hear you can put alot more shot in them.

D.P.Reynolds

10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

O'Pap,

Go for it my brother..... I'll stick with my low-rent 3200's that got kicked out of high school 'bout the same time I did, and my "soft" shot.

This coonass from Louisiana is on his way to Sparta, loaded to the teeth with store bought WalMart shells and a kick-ass attritude.

Come on big dogs, I ain't skered!

Guy B.

11. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

No I will never admit that my shells are shooting 1350 FPS and I will REALLY be bummed if ALL of my reloads are confiscated and replaced with say.... hmmmmm.... some factory federal papers... HAHA

12. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Go get 'em Guy....................I'm with ya on this one............The big dogs ain't so big,are they............????!!! Or are they????

Signed.............Hard Shot's Pap

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

The plan is to train the scorers to pay attention to what hits the ground and the shell bags if possible and will inform the squad hustlers. So if you're planning to cheat, then you better do a great job of hiding your shells and hulls. Concentrate hard on that.

14. alf174

alf174 Member

Back in the Vandalia days I recall a squad behind me with a shooter that was banging away with reloads. It wasn't hard to detect & he was promptly DQ'd. For Sparta, it will require all shooters to police the others around them and alert officials if they suspect something is not right.

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I know I will be looked at as being a wise a** but as long as you are following the rule and shooting the required shells. "WHY" would you be concerned about how the ATA enforces the rules.

You can only be responsible for your own actions. Not what others do you can hardly find it fruitful to be worried about who the enforcer is. As a matter of fact for many years the Grand required new shells for all events did you worry about it then???? If so did you win any events or titles? If not do you think it was in your best interest to worry about what you have no control over? If you spend any time worrying about this subject do you think you will be ready to concentrate on winning an event so you can shoot for the $100,000?????

I think there are many more thing to think about than who is enforcing the new shell rule. As long as you aren't breaking the rules about new shells I think it is counter productive to dwell on who is enforcing the new shell rule. Not to mention just plain unintelligent.

Bob Lawless

16. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

It's up to the shooters. It's called protecting the field.

Scott

17. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Scott Calhoun brings up the topic of "protecting the field." Anyone who has played competitive golf knows that golfers police themselves as far as the rules. When in competition it is up to the golfers playing partner to "protect the field," in other words be sure that all rules are followed to the letter.
    A player wishing to remove what he feels is a damaged ball from play, during play on a hole, must get the permission of his playing partner to do so. That is one instance of the application of this "rule."

I do not believe have never seen "protecting the field" mentioned in the ATA rulebook. We shooters do so because we know it is the right thing to do. From what I see in the rulebook, shoot management is deemed the rules enforcer. Am I right when it seems to me that individual shooters are in no way obligated by the rules to protect the field?

18. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

RLC -

I'm sure you are right that there is nothing in the rules about requiring or expecting that shooters will "protect the field". What you are saying is that the rules of trapshooting are more along the lines of the rules of football or basketball or baseball - it's only illegal if you get caught.

I don't belive most trapshooters would look at it that way - as we all know that there are not referee's on each field (and don't try to tell me that the scorer is the referee - I'm talking about people trained to be referees). With hundreds and sometimes thousands of participants in an event, it's not reasonable to think that each person can be "refereed". Integrity dictates that all the participants ensure that everyone follows the rules.

As for golf - I play a lot of it, but I'm not even sure if protecting the field is in the Rules of Golf. It's just that it's a gentlemen's game and gentlemen don't cheat.

Scott

19. Fhil Whiner

Fhil Whiner TS Member

I heard they were going to put "DR LONGSHOT" in charge of policing this problem.

It takes a cheat to catch a cheat. He's probably thought of alot of ways since he got caught shooting big shells in Ohio.

So watch out boys....The eye will be on you.

20. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The <i>ne plus ultra</i> 'cheating' (factory division) shell are Remington Nitro 3¼ x 1¼ Pigeon Loads ... in a ported barrel.

except of course that the hulls are marked, and the copper shot kinda sparkles & glimmers some'at.

What happened to poor, misunderstood & misrepresented & mistranslated Dr Long at Ohio?

It is still a gentleman's game, but for this kind of money, lots of folks will have read the rulebook on shell challenges.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

grand american mandatory new handicap shells