1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GRAND AMERICAN - Day 2

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steven R. Scheib, Aug 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steven R. Scheib

Steven R. Scheib TS Member

Today was slightly cooler, but if you can call low 90's cool, then you must be from the south or someplace warm. Almost 300 squads were on the board for singles. Maybe 286 or so. Handicap not as many. And doubles around 200 squads. It sure seemed crowded today. The traffic is not bad, but cars and trucks are always on the move. A couple of 100 straights in the handicap. And alot of 99's. There were probably 8 or 9 doubles shooters posting 100's. They are shooting off handicap each evening and carrying over everything else. Everyday the RV's just keep coming in. It's really starting to fill up. If anyone thought the Grand attendence would be down this year, is kidding themselves. I won't shoot everything, but will pick and choose. Alot of the people camped around me are doing the same thing. I had two calls tonight of groups coming in for the weekend, so should be a real busy place. See R.J.Stuart for scores. I will try to post some scores tomorrow, as I see Stuart is a little behind. Have a good evening everyone!

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I visited the Grand today and was impresses with the turnout, especially the campers.

I bought 5 flats each of Federal (need to mail in rebate form) and Remington (on site rebate) at the shell house and Federal even kicked in 5 free Tee shirts. What a deal.

The weather was great except for the wind blowing in to the trap fields. I shot singles and handicap and was glad that I spent my option money on shirts and hats. You don't have to win to have fun.

The targets looked great and the pullers were well trained. As to classification, squadding and payment, everything went very smooth.

I visited the Remington gunsmith shop and picked up a few 870 parts and got a lot of good advice.

I visited the White Flyer booth and picked up the free boxed clay target. I also bought a hat and some shirts. They have a very nice ball cap.

I visited the Bob Allen/Boyt shop and bought a gun case and looked at their merchandise. Another nice visit.

I visited the MEC shop and got a free replacement base for the high capacity primer feed and some other parts for which I paid. I spent over 30 minutes withe the MEC representative reloading shells on a 9000G (I have a new one that I have not had time to set up) and going over the adjustments and lubrication points. It was time well spent.

The World Shooting Complex is amazing with so many vendors and so much to see.

If you can, you really need to come to the grand.

Ed Ward

3. DuckDog

DuckDog Active Member

Steven,
    I hope you are right on the attendence figures for the rest of the Grand, but Day 1 numbers were not very good. Entries were down 20.92% vs. 2008 numbers and down 47.24% vs. 2007. Hopefully entries will increase as the week goes on. As was posted earlier, sqaud numbers are misleading due to several banks being removed from program usage. Shoot well and have fun!

Don

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Cowboy:

The shells were $73 a flat. plus IL sales tax of 6.25%. You can park near the Shell House and they will wheel the shells out to your vehicle.

Since I was ATA and this was an ATA shoot, no fuss was made over identification, FOID card, etc.

I did not see a cop all day and you can drive anywhere and park nearby to your bank, Shell House, Vendor building, Central Registration.

It was very sunny on Day 2 and I have a little sunburn on my neck so bring sun screen.

Bring lots of money also because there are lots of things to spend it on.

Ed Ward

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.