1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand America logistics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Sep 3, 2013.

1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

As an item to cross off my "bucket list", I would like to attend and shoot at the Grand in Sparta next year. I know nothing about the personal logistics to make it happen. I am inquiring if there is anyone on the board who would be willing to trade a few e-mails with me and help me to get pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for any help.

John

2. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

John, PM sent.

3. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Don't know what you mean by "on the board", but I am an "A" (sometimes "B") class...short handicap guy who has gone to the Grand for the last three years. I would be happy to answer any questions you have with an honest answer from my perspective. Ask away. Martinpicker

4. 548

548 Guest

I think he means bulletin board, another common name for an internet forum. So he really would take info from anyone, I think.

5. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

John,
    I live 6 miles from the World Shooting Complex. If you have any specific questions, I would be happy to help.

regards,

Todd

6. JT 27

JT 27 Member

#1 find a place to stay, now! Only 2 decent motels in Sparta. That done, everything else is simple. Some people rent an RV and campsite.

7. Joe McGorman

Joe McGorman TS Member

Sparta is located a mile south of heaven.

Joe McGorman

8. todddietrich

John,
    If your going by convienence,
    First choice would be the Holiday Inn Express in Sparta (800) 939-4249

Second choice would be Briar Wood Inn in Sparta (618) 443-4526

Third would be a toss up between
    Best Western in Chester,IL (618) 826-3034
    MainStreet Inn in Pickneyville,IL (618) 357-2128

Fly into ST. Louis Lambert International.
    You will need a rental car and plan on a little over an hour drive. Rush hour in any big city is a pain. Add a half hour 7-9 am or 4-6pm. I don't know the logistics of flying with shotguns, you may need to check with your airline. If it were me, I would see about shipping my guns to Stu Wright or John Mann a week prior. I don't know if they offer the service, but it would be one less thing to deal with. They are both excellent gun smiths and have store fronts on site. It maybe cheaper than the check bag fees and the hassle of dealing with the airports.

Shells are plentiful. The Walmart in Sparta will have pallets of AA, STS and Federal. The price will be a few dollars cheaper than the Shell House. Winchester was the only one running rebates, so if you buy AA, cut the barcode off the flats and save your reciept. Up to $20/flat limit of 5 flats.

I would book your hotel room first, and as soon as you get a schedule.

Plan on shooting in 90 deg with mid to high humidity. Buy a case of water and a cheap cooler. Bring a comfortable hat.

On average, you can park within 100 yards of the trap line. Golf carts are the standard mode of transportation for the folks camping, but if your staying off site, probably not needed.

The vendors start showing up about a week before the Grand, and are there the whole time. The last day of the Grand is a mass exodus of vendors. If you want to test out new shotguns, all the big names have demo guns with coupons for the demo field and usually free shells.(Perrazi, Kolar, Kriegoff, Blaser, Browning, Beretta). Just give them your drivers license.

Plenty of food stands on site and a restaraunt.

If you think of any other questions, let me know!

I'm sure the rest of the TS folks have comments too.

regards,

Todd

9. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Flying with a shotgun or 2 is not too bad. You need a hard case that is lockable. Only you should have the key or combination, TSA locks are contrary to the DOT regulations. Single lock in the center is sometimes not acceptable. At least 2 locks toward the end is best or a rod and a single lock.

Be absolutely sure that the guns are unloaded. You declare the unloaded gun to the airline clerk at check in. They give you a tag or form declaring that the gun is unloaded. You sign the form and place it in the gun case. Take the gun and your other bag to TSA. Let TSA know that you have an unloaded firearm with the declaration in the case. Stand by to see if they need to open the case.

United charges $30 for a second checked bag. If you can ship it and receive it for less shipping would be worth it.

10. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Thanks for the tips. This is great information.

John

11. Gunnerx11

Gunnerx11 TS Member

Vandalia Ohio, how sweet that was, and now, the new world order. If he did not
    want them sheared, he would not have made them sheep.

Just a thought,
    Gunnerx11

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Are there still sheep grazing at Vandalia?

13. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

UP YOURS!! Gunnerx11 The man asked for honest information. All but YOU were helpful. Your comment, while you do have a right to hold, was not what the man needed! I have shot the Grand for years BOTH PLACES, like each and by the way, Sparta is two hours closer to where I live. I have NEVER had a problem getting accommodations in driving range of Sparta and while Vandalia had "charm and history" The check-in process at Sparta is about a lite year ahead of Vandalia.

My hat is off to "Wave rider and Mr Detritch above for taking time to detail information for a new friend to the Grand. You guys are great! Would love to shoot with you sometime. Gunner, not so much, can't stand whiners!!

For goodness sake, Vandalia is NOT coming back. Give it a rest!!

Open for your comment
    Jim Porter

14. todddietrich

Thanks for the kind words, Jim. I can't comment on Vandalia, I never attended. I'm sure it was great.
    This area is home. My family has lived in the area for about 40 years. My wife's family for about 120 years.
    I had a duck blind across the road to the north of the World Shooting Complex. My father had a duck blind on the lake on the east end of the property. I guess I'm a little selfish on trying to promote Sparta. The Shooting Complex has opened up alot of opportunities for our area and I hope it stays active.
    I would be pleased to meet any of the fine folks visiting our area. I've met a few, and all are great people. Perhaps next year we can have a Trapshooters.com game shoot. Sliders or Annie, just a thought!

regards,

Todd

15. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Todd I can see what you are big on where you live. I've been coming since the first Grand. I have only respect and warm feelings for the people around there. Pretty country, clean and manicured crops and every place we have stayed or gone for food has been first rate and the people outstanding.
    Would very much like to meet and maybe we can next Grand. I'm a duck hunter too! Use a hammer 10ga with black powder and bismuth! More fun than you ought to have.
    Do understand, this is a little hard for a true son-of-the-South to say about people from behind enemy lines!! About the only way I can justify my liking is to think you guys just have Southern Hearts!
    Much Obliged
    Jim

16. todddietrich

Jim,
    My friend from Alabama calls it "The War of Northern Aggression". That also was before my time. Please remember we cannot cook grits and if you order iced tea, you are in charge of adding sugar. Other than that, we are all friends here.

Todd

17. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

Todd,

You have to add the sugar when it is fresh brewed and warm, not the same if you add after it is cold.

18. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Do you rent the RV spot from the ATA or from the shooting complex?
    thank you
    Gavin