1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grand Advice: Camp or Travel an Hour to a Hotel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

My son and I are considering traveling to the Grand for the second week. There are hotels on the outskirts of St. Louis for around $69 a night, or we could rent a pop-up camper in St. Louis (with AC) for around $450, then add $200 for the camping spot.

Could you folks give us some advice as to which would be the better route to go? The hotel will cost a little less, but adds two hours of travel time every day.

Thanks!

2. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Staying on the grounds...watching shootoffs and having a place to cool off between events would add alot of value to the camper deal.

3. twostraight

twostraight Member

Thats assuming your pop up has air conditioning.

4. pullll

pullll Member

all of the above.

5. zoom

zoom TS Member

Staying on the grounds is the way to go. What ever type camper you stay in make sure it has a very good AC system. One more time a very good AC system.
    Have fun shoot well.

BC

6. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Pop up campers are great if you are parking it in the shade at a campground. Most of them that do have air just will not stay cool during the day in the sun. Especially above 90 degrees the AC can not keep up.

The 13500 btu AC in our fiberglass sided travel trailer had trouble keeping the inside temp under 80 degrees at Sparta a couple days last year pre Grand. So you can imagine a canvas sided pop up would struggle.

7. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Look at motels in O'Fallon, Ill or Fairview Heights,Ill. Both are nice areas with places to eat and other things to do in the evenings. And very good air conditioning and someone else to make up the room! Also, less than an hour drive to Sparta. Jack

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

If you go looking for a hotel, try O'Fallon. It's about a half hour North, and traffic isn't bad at all.

Frankly, I'd rather drive a half hour and be able to take a shower and sleep in an air conditioned room. A pop-up camper sounds like a Tasty Bake Oven to me. It's gonna be hot.

9. 2 kluk

2 kluk Member

UpNorth

I've used a pop-up camper (with air) the last 3 years at the Grand and found it to be very comfortable.

It will warm up at high noon, but I used a sleeping bag at night. Staying on the grounds is a lot more

enjoyable than all that travel. "The electric only" camping area has a very nice shower house.

Dennis Kerns

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Don't forget the part about a good AC unit.

11. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

I vote for the camper.. most have a fridge so you can even save a few bucks on lunch .. a pound of meat and cheese can make a few sandwiches.. bottled water or soda purchased at the local market. Then add in that you can lay down and relax before or after an event

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Whatever you decide do NOT book a room at the Executive Inn in Belleville. I can not say enough bad things about that dump.

13. Bird Grinder

Bird Grinder Member

Camping is the way to go but you have to have a camping spot reserved in advance, the last I heard they were all sold out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.