1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Grain-fed cows?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jul 11, 2013.

1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

What do you think about feeding grain to cattle?

Larry J. Frieders, RPh
    (aka GrandpasArms)
    The Compounder Pharmacy
    340 Marshall, Unit 100 ~ Aurora, IL 60506 Tel: 630.859.0333 FAX: 630.859.0114

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Prier to butchering, I always grained them up, made for better tasting beef.

You'll only know it by sampling. Butcher a pasture fed ONLY bovine, then a grain fed one. Cook them the same way in different pans then "taste"!!

It will then be a personal preference after that as to which one you will like.

Pasture fed will be very lean, you'll have to add grease or oil to the pan or it will stick to the pan. Especially with hamburger.

3. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I think grain fed beef is wonderful and makes steaks and roasts tender and delicious.

4. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

When wheat is cheaper my friend and ya can get the same results. That is all we eat here barley and trit fed. Well I should say finished on grain you would burn them out if all ya fed was grain to them. Personally grain finished tastes better then corn finished.

Brady Gies

5. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Anyone who says grass feed beef is good, has never eaten a good steak or roast. Grain fed the lsst 45 days or longer, preferably corn.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

We always grain fed them for 60 days prior to butchering. It does make a difference

7. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

When you go out to feed with the feed bucket and the steer does not get right over to eat thats the time to butcher. Grain fed is best.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Where do you think veal gets its taste or is that not PC? Jeff

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

We pen up (2) a year for our extended families beef. We usually start about 3 months before we plan to butcher. Just as important to grain feed is a quick clean kill. You don't want the cow stressed. If the cow is not killed quickly and cleanly, it can get stressed and frightened causing blood, adrenaline and other hormones to rush to the muscles. When this happens, it can alter the acid levels in the meat, affecting the color, the texture and most importantly the taste.

We always use the imaginary line from ear to eye/ear to eye making the "x" bullseye and put one .22LR in the brain. If done right they drop in their tracks. It's alot of work butchering (2) but saves a ton of money on the grocery bills. We process all the meat ourselves which takes about two weeks. We quarter them and let them hang in our walk-in cooler for around a week. Always done in the fall before deer season. Then we leave the cooler on for deer. It helps having all the right equipment. We bought several key pieces from a butcher shop that closed about 20 years ago. The most important part is the wives and grandmas to grind the burger, make Pre-shaped patties and package in various package sizes. All wrapped in freezer paper. Four deep freezers at the in-laws and two at my house.

10. APrice

APrice Active Member

Dang Matt, you've got me wanting to move to Illinois!

11. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

APrice,

Don't go and do something dumb like that. If we didn't have all of our farm ground, cattle and couple rental houses located here, we would have all made a dash out of here years ago.

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

13. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

My grandfather raised Champion Polled Herford's Penned and grain fed not for sale.Quality that is a rarity today. There is room for all Gods creatures. Right next to the potatoes on the plate. Jeff

14. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Taste with beef is all in proper cooking and seasoning. I've had grain fed and pasture fed that were both as delicious. It's all in the prep before it hits your tongue.

15. Avatar

OP's question may have been whether it is ecologically sound to feed grain to cattle, not about the taste. Apparently, in terms of the calorie conversion, it is not very efficient. But it sure does help with the texture and taste. I remember a period when I was a kid during which we practically lived on frozen elk steaks. At first it was ok, but after awhile we all got very tired of the lean texture and gamy taste and really craved feed-lot fed beef.

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Most farmers that I have known over the years always penned up the livestock at least one month and fed it a corn diet.

That really makes a for some mighty fine eating. And it also has much better flavor.

Grass fed equals tough meat............in my humble opinion.

Hauxfan!

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Corn fed makes the best meat, you can use wheat or other grains, but the cattle will get bored with the same taste and the gain will lower, but what ever grain you decide to use you also need to give them some roughage to keep their digestive system working, the roughage tickles the inside of their rumen or first stomach to get them to regurgitate the cud to further digest the feed

When I was a kid we used to raise a bunch of cattle and for about the last 3-4 months we would slowly switch them over to ground ear corn, the ground cobs worked for the rumen, and it all was superb beef, I used to like it when the folks would go on a trip, the only thing I knew how to cook was steaks on the grille

I also remember that CO_OP came out with some things called rough tabs, they were small irregular shaped pieces of plastic, that you could mix in with ground shelled corn, they made up for the roughage, I swear you can still go to the home place and find rough tabs that were from the manure that we spread, Dad only used them for a year before he saw what would happen in the end

No matter what grain you decide to use it needs to be ground or rolled so the outer coat is cracked, if not they get very little nutrition from the grain because their digestive system won't penetrate the cellulose coating very well to extract the nutrients

18. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

There must be some truth to the happy, and relaxed cows produce more milk theory. It probably makes sense that beef raised the same way would taste better. I think the quick kill method is very important also. Definitely taste the difference in deer, when you do blow out the heart on the shot, and can walk right up and gut it quickly. Seems to make difference if they are running, or walking up to the point of shooting also.

I think the added fat, is what makes beef flavor. So whatever it takes to get that, do it. To me the best tasting steak is a Rib-eye for that reason. A filet in my opinion, is plain and needs some kind of addition, like a sauce or seasoning to add a dimension of flavor. My favorite is a roasted garlic, and horseradish cream sauce, and a side of sauteed asparagus in olive oil, with onion slivers, and Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top. Mushrooms on all steaks, are a must in my opinion.

19. kansas pete

kansas pete TS Member

Sure makes more sense than making fuel out of it.
    Pete

20. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

Pete plenty of corn for both. Plus when you convert corn to fuel you still get 25 lbs of good feed left after fermentation.

If the OPs intention was it ethical. Yes it is. The feed value of corn for humans is not very good. Meat from the beef after it converted it to protein in the form of wonderful meat is.