1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GraCoil?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

How many of you have had experience with the Gracoil recoil reducing buttpad? Pros/Cons?

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Have one on a BT-99, and like it..Grubby

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Hey Matt I had one on a Kolar it worked OK but seemed to soften up and need tension adjustments about every 600 to 800 rounds. Only one I ever had so I can't say if it was just this unit or generic to the type.

--- Chip King ---

4. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Woodson

I just put one on my 10 year old son's trap gun. He is just starting out and is very sensitive to recoil. He shot two rounds last Thursday and said the recoil did not bother him. It is a 12 Ga. Huglu over/under.

Brian "Robbie's Dad"

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have 3 and they work well. Mechanically simple, not much to break.

6. 3357

3357 Member

My wife likes hers on her BT-99. It has been trouble free.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Matt---I have one with adjustable LOP on a BT99 as well. Works as advertised. I have a RAD II on my Beretta and it is much nicer and easier to adjust and return to settings. IMHO. You will be happy with either.

Matt

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have one on a Browning Superposed (Lightning) Not a Broadway and it still bites me---My Broadway with just a Pad has less bite without the Gracoil---
    Don't know why---George@SJB---

9. Rods Custom Stocks

Rods Custom Stocks Member

All reducers have to be tensioned correctly so the unit will not bottom out from recoil or pulling the gun into the shoulder.If it bottoms out you are not going to like it!It will wack you in the shoulder and the face! With the Gracoil we usually have to tension the unit to the stiff side (really STIFF usually). I like to use a piece of modeling clay between the unit when I shoot it to measure the travel of the unit, if the clay is fully compressed the unit needs more tension. Recoil reduction can only happen if your gun is fit properly!

Hope this info helps...........Rod

10. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I have a Browning Belgiun Lightning. I could not shoot 50 targets without
    getting sore. I had the forcing cones lengthened and I can shoot all day.
    It shoots so soft that my daughter now shoots it. I know some say forcing
    cones make no difference, but they sure did for us. If you try, let me know.
    Thanks, Gary Owen

11. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

FWT, I have guns with gracoils,bumpbuster and countercoil. I like them all, I would rate them in this order
    1. Bumpbuster--Ruck does a great job, smoothe,Quiet and easy to adjust
    2. Danhauser Countercoil--hydraulic unit went bad after 15 years use. Cost of new hydro unit installed and shipped back to my door was $54.00
    3. Gracoil--plates are very thick and require a lot of cutting grinding and polishing,no matter how I adjust it, it makes noise when I shoulder it. Still a lot better than just a recoil pad. Bill

12. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

My wife has one on her Browning O/U 12 gauge and shoots sporting without getting beat up. She did 100 sporting last week.

She just had someone last Wednesday telling her he did like the reCoil reducer and had it removed from his skeet gun. Turned out after talking to him a bit he had it set too soft, as he was surprised with her setup when he asked see it, as hers is very stiff and according to him, his was set very soft.

13. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

Gracoil, I bought a 682 with about 15in.+ LOP and I called Tracy at Gracoil and told him I needed something less, and he told me what he could do. I sent the stock off and I got it back on time and under quote. Plus, he tuned up the unit all for the same price. That was 30K rounds ago.
    Barney

14. ultramag338

ultramag338 Member

GraCoil is good. Ken Rucker Bumpbuster is better IMO. Have shot both. The Bump buster seems to stay were you set it in terms of stiffness. Call Ken he is awesome. But GraCoil is a great unit to I have both. Both are LOP adj and butt pad adj. Hope this helps. Corey

15. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The RAD #2 is probably a more modern, more up-to-date unit. Very easy to adjust, very, very well made. As Rod said, set it tighter rather than softer, just enough to take the edge off the recoil.

WNCRob

16. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Totaly agree,Mike. Pitch, the overlooked adjustment. Most guns are made so you can cut as needed for your owm body build. Oh yeah most people shootguns way toooo lomg. Shorten up and get in the gun. Be one with the gun. Am so smart, why don't I follow my own advice? You will never stay in the gun if it hurts. More pitch is usually the answer. No need for some ugly and expensive contraption.