1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gracoil Reducer Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I tried to get on Graco's tech. site but couldn't. I had a Gracoil reducer put om my BT100 a long time ago. The other night during practice I was hearing a click after firing once in a while but I couldn't find anything and neither could my team mates. Then the outer pad and plate came loose. I taped it up so I could shoot league and later found that the set screw on the side was missing. I got a replacement screw today at the Fastenall Store but it didn't work. The setscrew went in like it belonged there but everything is still loose.

Anyone kmow what the problem is and the solutiom? Thanks

2. K.80

K.80 TS Member

All you have to do is call them and talk to tracy and he will help you out. One of the nicest guys you will ever talk to and if you have to send it in they are great to deal with and fast turn around.

3. Yankee Bill

Yankee Bill TS Member

I just called them last week to get another set of instructions (can't find original) for a LP that I had installed on my 682 Gold E a few years ago. They emailed me a copy within minutes. I'm sure they'd help you out as well.

YB

4. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Isn't it great to have customer service like this.

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

It is unlikely that the original screw fell out; it only has to loosen 2-3 revolutions to release the plate assy. I suspect it is still in place , just loose, and you merely tightened the new screw against it.

Ken Rucker

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

There is a small channel in the protruding shaft that the set screw goes into. If the set screw doesn't mate with that channel, you will get exactly the result you encountered.

Here are a couple of reasons why this could happen:

1. The new set screw isn't tapered, and doesn't enter the channel

2. The old set screw broke off, and the new one is stopped before it gets to the channel

3. You haven't pushed the pad down far enough onto the shaft

4. The set screw has been inserted too far before putting the assembly back on the gun. If this happens, the shaft will hit the set screw and never seat properly or engage the set screw.

Try backing the set screw all the way out, then put the allen wrench all the way down the passage where the set screw normally goes, and see if it engages the channel on the shaft. If it does, you should not be able to pull the pad off the gun. If it doesn't, something is obstructing the set screw.

Ted K.

7. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I had mine loosen up but screw was still in there after some panic at a shoot. But haveing some machine experiance I was ready to re-tap mine to a thread I knew and had. Stick small allen key in hole see if screw is there or not first before panic, Then take the piece right down to hardware store with you and your set of keys. Graco being a US company start with standard Stainless set screws. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerry Lewis

8. Dave P

Good advice from all and my thanks. Ken, you were right, the screw was still in there however that was only part of the problem. I studied the mechanism and determined that the screw can't be the problem because the plate held on by the screw was in place. It had to be under the recoil pad itself. Fortunately Cracoil makes all screws etc. for the same exact size hex wrench. I took off the pad with the wrench and there was the problem. The adjustment wheels for the amount of resistance were loose?????. I set them where I think I want them, and tightened them. Each wheel turns separately so I assume that getting them set equally with the marking holes will prevent the top or bottom guide rod(S) from binding. I will know tomorrow at the club. Dave

9. K.80

K.80 TS Member

All the wheel's you call them do is adjust the pad angle and up and down of the pad. Set the pad where you want it and tighten them up.

10. Dave P

K80, Do you know how to set the recoil tension then? Somehow I lessened the tension. Thanks

11. K.80

K.80 TS Member

Ya you loosen the set screw on the side remove the pad and turn the allen screw in the middle of the wheel things. Then tighten the set screw and install the pad.

12. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

K-80 Has it right, That is how I have adjusted mine.

Jim B.

13. Dave P

Thanks all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.