1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GraCoil Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 87AA, Oct 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 87AA

87AA TS Member

With the GraCoil recoil reducer does the stock generally have to be cut as part of the installation?

2. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

no, but it will increase LOP unless you do.

3. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

How much do you need to cut to get back to the same LOP? Assume the GraCoil is adjusted to the middle of the total LOP adj range.

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

It's 1", fully closed down.

Ed Yanchok

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Yikes that is a lot of wood to be chopping off. So I take it that with some space for recoil compression, the amount needed to take off the stock is even more than 1"?

6. chipking

chipking TS Member

Since the LOP range on the GRA-Coil is about 1 1/2 inch half of that is 3/4" off the stock just for the LOP adjustment plus 5/16 for the "travel" of the recoil reducer portion, plus the 1/4 inch for the pad adjuster portion so that adds up to a minimum of 1 5/16 inches. BUT very few people set the LOP to center of travel to start. Usually most set it about 1/4" to 3/8" out to get their preferred LOP (so they can shorten it slightly for winter and heavy coats)so now you are talking around 13/16 to 7/8 needing to be removed just to stay where you started.

--- Chip King ---

7. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Ken Rucker (Bumpbuster) recommended using a 3/4" thick recoil pad when I bought mine. Thick soft pad interfers with the absorbtion characteristics of the reducer. Marc

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

chip, alright so if have your math correct then i'd set it 3/8" out to be able to go down to 1/4" in the winter then add ~9/16s for the travel and adj plate and get ~15/16s total. So yeah still basically an inch.

Do I need 3/8" out for summer or can I do 1/4" summer then down to 1/8" in the winter?

Lastly, the adj plate is 1/4", is it required or can it be left out to get the total cut down to ~11/16s?

Thanks!

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

IIRC the adjustable plate is a part of the GRA-COIL. So I don't think you could gain any there (actually you could gain 1/8 inch if you took the back piece off but the front plate is not set up for the recoil pad screws). As for the 3/8" out to start that is up to you to decide. You could put the adjustment all the way in and make the summer to winter change with different thickness recoil pads. And some folks I know shoot the same LOP all year around no matter how much clothing they add. I always preferred to use the LOP adjustment because once I have my pad set to fit me just right ( down and twisted toe out)I don't have to worry about screwing that up while changing pads.

--- Chip King ---

10. 87AA

87AA TS Member

One more question. If I remove the Gracoil can I just put the original recoil pad back on or does the Gracoil screw things up forever?

11. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

would probably need a new spacer otherwise the LOP will be really short.

maybe i can just leave 1/4" out to leave that for adjustments so i would need to chop off like 13/16ths off the wood. still hate having to do that, but i tried a PFS this weekend and loved the soft recoil.

12. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Ask around on here to find a stock that is cut already. Usually you can find them pretty cheap. Some even have the recoil reducer on them, for cheaper than you can have yours cut and installed. Then if you don't like the feel of the reducer, you can put your original back on, and sell the reducer stock for what you paid. Also helps with resale of the gun, if that happens, to sell it with the original uncut stock. Just saying.

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

87AA. I can tell you that your query is common to the guys that do stock work. I am constantly measuring and calculating what I have to do and would have to do in order to get he gun to fall into the LOP range that I look for. I suggest to you, buy a adj LOP unit and figure it out for yourself. But whatever you do, maintain the MOnte Carlo look to your stock. Otherwise the value drops.

14. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

87AA, sometimes a picture is worth many words. The two pics show Browning XT's, one with an adjustable LOP model, the other is the non-adjustable model. Both have a 14 1/2" LOP.

smithy47_2008_030340.jpg

smithy47_2008_030341.jpg

You will have to cut the stock if you want to install a GraCoil reducer. How much will depend on how thick a pad you will want to use.

The gracoil is a minimum of 1" long. If you use your origional pad and want to keep the same length of pull, you will have to cut 1" off the stock.

As the Browning pad on an XT is 1" thick, you can go to a thinner pad, say 5/8". This way you only have to cut 5/8" off your stock to get the same LOP.

If you are thinking of doing this yourself, please look up past threads on the tooling you will need to install a GraCoil.

Best of luck. Bob

15. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Big difference in a GraCoil and a PFS. Yugo vs Bentley IMHO

16. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

rhett, many would say you have the names switched.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gracoil how long

gracoil on monte carlo stock