1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gracoil for BT-99 w/adj. comb

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vegas blaster, Jan 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Looking to add the adjustable butt-plate hardware to my BT-99. Mine is the newer model with the Browning factory adjustable comb.

Does anyone know which Gracoil unit to order like the one on the 'golden clays' factory butt-plate hardware. I have a great stock-fitter here in Las Vegas for the installation.

Also, if you have had that screw break that holds the forearm latch hardware I can give you a solution to reattach it rock solid.

Thanx, Jeff K.

2. BuddyR

BuddyR TS Member

Tell me how you fixed your forearm. I've had mine loosen up. Thanks Bud

3. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Please send me and e-mail with the fix. Thanks Mark R.

4. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

The metric factory screws that break off in that latch hardware are impossible to find [browning will not sell any either]. I thought I had some from brownells but they were too long. So I had to get my stockfitter here in Las Vegas to drill out the wood and glue in some screw inserts with standard thread. He also added an extra insert underneath that latch bracket that goes thru the latch into the wood for strength just forward of the big phillips head screw.

Still looking for info about that gracoil butt-plate. Can I use the LOP assembly [$64.85] with the factory adj. comb or do I need to use the butt-plate only [$50] hardware? will the recoil reduction unit work also? and can I get a shorter adjustment screw anywhere or do I need to shorten the one I have?

Mark R. you have email!!!

thanx, jk.

5. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Thanx for the info/input Ed.

Will any of the graco hardware there absolutely NOT work? Just can't decide which one to order that will require the least 'finesse'!

Does the recoil reduction system really work/worth the trouble? I shoot max ATA loads right now without concern for recoil. Some say they dont notice a recoil difference other than the 'fitting' aspect.

jeff k... 'Pastors Blasters'

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have a GraCoil LOP on both of my Brownings XT and BT-99. When I would shoot 200 rounds on a sunday I would get a headache. I tryed weight to the stock but didn't like the feel of the gun. I tryed the GraCoil LOP on a gun from one of my club member and like it.
    Headache gone. So I had one install on the XT and loved it so much I had one put on my BT-99.
    My wife shot my guns and like it also so we had the GraCoil install on her XT. I just can't say enough about the unit.
    I have it set up 2 1/2 turns form the softest point.
    Your stock guy should hook you up.
    John

7. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

"The metric factory screws that break off in that latch hardware are impossible to find [browning will not sell any either]. I thought I had some from brownells but they were too long. So I had to get my stockfitter here in Las Vegas to drill out the wood and glue in some screw inserts with standard thread. He also added an extra insert underneath that latch bracket that goes thru the latch into the wood for strength just forward of the big phillips head screw."

The trick to getting the proper length screws from Brownells is to use the parts list in the back. I found out the hard way that there are two lengths of screw (ordered the long ones first) only to then notice the red asterisk on the diagram indicating that the correct length screw wasn't shown as an option in the diagram. The correct length screw from Brownells for the beavertail fore stock is part number 149-001-815. Just got a couple this week and they fit perfectly.

Kerry

8. Billster

Billster TS Member

Both my wife and I shoot BT-99s. I bought mine with the factory adj. comb and had our stock fitter install the Gracoil LP. You've got to remove about an inch length in order to mount the LP and the existing adj. comb limited the amount of stock he could cut off...so you might be limited to getting the stock short enough for you. I learned from that. Her micro came with the straight stock and it was easier for him to mount the LP and THEN cut the adj. comb (using Graco's EXCELLENT adj. comb hardware.) If I were starting over with a new BT that's the way I'd go..straight stock. No Browning adj. comb again. He had to machine my comb adjusting screw down and create a slotted head for a regular screwdriver. Works just as well as the allen head. On her gun, he had to cut down the upper guide pin on the LP so that it wouldn't protrude into the adj. comb area. With the ajustments of the LP and recoil reduction I'll never shoot again without an LP on the gun. That's fer sure.

Re: the foreend issue. Haven't had the latch screw break (yet - I should keep my mouth shut) but continued tightening of the big philips screw at the rear of the piece ended up basically stripping the wood thread. Jim (stockfitter) took the wood and drilled out a 1/2 hole and epoxied a brass insert with machined thread and replaced the stock philips head with a machine screw. Now able to retighten without stripping thread. Yet..four rounds and the wood still moves and the screws loosen- even with blue loktite! It's an ongoing thing. Red loktite is next methinks. Keeping an eye on her foreend (that doesn't sound right!) - her screws keep loosening too. BAD design on part of Browning.

Summary: Gracoil LP rocks!

cheers
    Bill Stengel

9. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Thanx for all the continued input/info. Jeff K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjust graco recoil bt-99 golden clay
adjust the comb on a bt-99
bt99 gracoil assembly
graco recoil for bt-99
graco trap comb

gracoil for bt-99 trap

mounting a gracoil to a bt 99
price to add adjustable comb and gracoil system to shotgun