1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gracoil Complaints?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JD Jake, Apr 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

I'm thinking about getting a Gracoil with length of pull adjustment for my Browning XT. Has anyone gotten a Gracoil and not liked it? The recoil on my XT is fine. I'm really interested in the Gracoil's adjustable butt pad and, because of that, am considering getting a Jones adjuster instead. But if the Gracoil results in even less recoil than I have now, that would be nice. Out of curiosity, has anyone had the unexpected experience of having more felt recoil after a Gracoil was added? Thanks.

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I don't think you'll hear any. Mine works slick on my 90-T.

Buz

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

JD Jake, when I started shooting trap, I put a gracoil on a Browning Citori special trap. big mistake. I shoot doubles with that gun and having that stock move did not impress me. The gun will twist and good luck hitting the second target. Spring is set tight now so the reduction has no effect and I just wish I had a whole stock back again. The gracoil does not have floating steel inserts for the recoil pad screws - just fixed threads in aluminum. good luck with not stripping them. My bottom line is that installing the gracoil permanently screwed up my stock and made changing recoil pads an adventure.

4. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I had a Special Trap with a non-adjustable - never a problem - best doubles scores I have ever broken.

Also put an adjustable LOP Gracoil on my new KX-5 - never a problem.

Both guns were sold when I bought my Kolar Combo.

FR

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Gary,

I'm with you, if the gun fits well it will not punish. I shoot doubles very quick and the Gracoil movement does not work for me. I would rather add wieght for recoil reduction.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Graco stands 100% behind their products.

Whiz

7. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have one on my XT Trap Combo for the same reason as you I needed it more length. I'm not a good doubles shooter yet but I have no Problems with it and have taken the recoil pad a Kickeez off many times to tweak it with no problems either. I like mine a lot.

Martin ATA # 0765881

8. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Had one put on my BT what a great product!!!

9. TOLIPNUG

TOLIPNUG TS Member

I HAVE A GRAYCOIL ON MY ALFERMAN (4 YEARS) AND MY KX5- GREAT-WILL DO IT AGAIN
    RICK ZINO

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Nothing against the company, but I had one on a BT-99 Golden Clays and never could shoot a decent score with it. I dumped the gun at a loss and would never buy another gun with a Gracoil again. A lot of folks like them; I didn't.

I would suggest shooting a Gracoil-equipped gun before committing to it.

11. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I put one on my BT-99 also for the same reason I needed more length it worked great. I think I'm going to sell the BT because I bought it not knowing about doubles and I never shoot it any more since I have the XT Trap Combo. Its like new 300 rounds through it at NY State Shoot last year.

12. old tex

old tex TS Member

Gary Phipps is a gentleman and Gracoil products are as good as it is possible to make.

Try 'em you'll like them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unc

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Agree with old tex. Purchased a Ljutic mono gun a little over a yr. ago that had one on it. Liked it so well that I just had them install one on my KS-5 Special. They did a beautiful job. Do not shoot one on my dbls. gun as of yet.

I think you would be happy with one on your gun. Steve

14. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

If the Gracoil moves backward when you shoot, what happens where your cheek meets the stock. Is there felt movement there? More felt recoil there? I guess I don't understand the Physics of it.

15. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Old Ranger:

It actually does move back slightly but you can set the tension in the plunger part mine is really tight as I didn't buy it to reduce recoil just to lengthen out the stock a bit. I don't feel it on my cheek at all but I do hear a little click when I shoot singles. I don't hear it shooting the doubles at all

16. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I had both of my guns Hacked off XT Trap Combo and the BT-99 much better than walking off the line afer a 100 black and blue all the way back to my righ ear because the gun was too short for me. Re sale value maybe less scores and painless ness Priceless .

17. flyfishinfool

flyfishinfool TS Member

My experience with GraCo has been very positive.

They treat everyone, as far as I can tell, as a valued customer

Dan

18. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

If all you want to do is lengthen the pull dimension, would it be more cost effective to use a spacer and extra thick butt pad?

Mike

19. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I bought the Adjustable Butt Plate mainly for LOP adjustments and to lengthen the stock on used guns that had too short stocks. I like to be able to shorten it when I wear extra cloths in the winter. Sometimes It is cold in the morning so I shorten it some and by afternoon I am down to a Tee shirt and I let it out a little. Easier than spacers for me.

http://www.mpcsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2146

20. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Rather that title this thread: "Gracoil Complaints?" which gives the illusion of a problem, I would have used one with a less negative connotations like: "Gracoil Users", or something equivalent.

IMHO

Whiz