1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

grabber problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by redhawk44, Sep 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

I load all my shotgun ammo on the MEC Grabber(s). Yesterday, while loading 28 ga. ammo, I noticed that the charge bar was not returning completely to battery, causing the shot charge to fluctuate badly. The brass washer was missing from under the powder bottle and I replaced it. The situation got better, but I still have a problem. Do the springs that return the charge bar to battery have a history of getting weak? I didn't have any spare springs to try.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Redhawk, it may be your shot/powder bottles may be too tight.

I relieve all the bottoms of my bottles so I can tighten them down and not worry about that binding. Binding can create a lot of headaches when loading and that's the first things I'd look at.

Hap

3. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

I also load on a mec grabber 12 ga. This is what I have noticed over the years of loading. The powder bottel is to tight and stopping the charge bar from returning all the way. The bushing on the shot bottel side needs altered a little to clear/ not rub the charge bar. A little bit of oil on the bar helps a little also. (I mean a small amount) I have also put another spring/heavier spring to return the charge bar to battery. Hope this helps.

Jason in PA

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I use grafite on my charge bar. Every so often, I reach up, back both bottles up, then lightly retighten and stop with least resistance felt.

I do not think I ever had the bottle problem before with the smaller bottles.

5. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

OK fellas, thanks. I did notice yesterday that if I loosened the powder bottle slightly it got better.

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

and yes, the spring can and does get weak. take your bolt off of the charge bar and run down to home depot. get the next longer one and 3 or 4 washers. reinstall with the washers. problem solved. good luck with it

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've had a piece of lead sheared off a pellet get wedged between the bar and it's frame that caused your problem until discovered. First to check; bottle(s) to tight, next check the thin metal, gold color bushing in the powder drop which is intended to reduce loose powder mess; if worn, it can get out of position and interfere, then thorough clean job on the bar and it's frame. I'm still using the same spring on my Grabber from the mid 1970s, never had a problem with it.....breakemall

8. quartering

quartering Active Member

doesn't sound like a piece of shot in the resizer. could it be a piece of shot in the resizer? i'm thinking maybe...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.