1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gra-coil instalation

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by desertdigs, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertdigs

desertdigs TS Member

I am going to install a gra-coil recoil reducer and need to know the best way and machine to grind the aluminum backing plate to fit the butt stock.Thanks Desertdigs

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Belt sander is what i used on some adjustable butt plates. Then i polished out the edges with 1200 and 2000 grit wet/dry sand paper with lite oil.

3. burtona

burtona Member

On the few I've installed I first use a bandsaw to rough cut then a belt sander, then sand by hand with progressivly finer paper until I get the finish I want (or one I can live with).

4. citadel

citadel Active Member

I use a grinder motor to rough it in to the score lines I have drawn on the plate. Mount the plate to start with on the stock with the screws that you are going to use in the finished setup and score the stock shape on to the plate with a sharp pointed marker, remove and grind down close to the marks. Then I re-mount the plate on the stock, wrap the stock with masking tape to protect the finish and finish the fitting with a fine file taking great care not to scratch the stock. Once it is filed down I take the plate off the stock and then I use a buffing wheel with rouge or a simllar fine polish to get rid of the file marks. The result is a real professional job of which I am quite proud and I saved about $150.00.
    Doug

5. desertdigs

desertdigs TS Member

Thanks guys that gets me started in the right direction.

6. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Desertdigs, if you want to make it look professional, use the same sanding jig you would use for a recoil pad. It will be used to get the angle on the aluminum plate to match the angle of the stock.

Take a black marker and darken up the underside of the place. Mount the plate on the stock and screw it down tightly. Scribe a line around the plate to match the stock. Remove the plate and rough saw it with a bandsaw. Mount the plate to the sanding jig and sand to the line. Use a buffing wheel and polish the sides of the base plate.
    Next you will have to mark the movable end of the Gracoil and cut/polish it. This one is harder to do as you will have to find a good way to hold it. I made up some sanding blocks to acomplish this. Pics attached. Good Luck! Bob

smithy47_2008_030331.jpg

smithy47_2008_030332.jpg

smithy47_2008_030333.jpg

7. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Don't forget that you may want to angle the bottom of the alum. plate to match the angle in the lower part of the stock from front to rear.

If you grind or cut the bottom of the plate at a 90 degree angle, it may not look as good.

I know this is a repeat of what Smithy47 said, but I think the angled plate matches the flow of the stock better.

Good Luck

Danny

8. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

And NEVER grind aluminum!! Use a belt or disc sander. Grinding wheels load up with aluminum and explode!!!

Ken Rucker

9. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Ken, after you posted this I first wanted to call BS, but I did some searching. Some say, it will explode other say it will burn and some say it merely just clogs the pores of the wheel too fast.

A little more research I found out it appears there is this compound called Thermite. It is created when the iron oxide, from previous metal griding, mixes with the aluminum filings causing this potentially unsafe compound. But on that note I have found that is takes a great deal of heat to cause this compound to burn.

Bryan

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Not only is grinding aluminum on a grinding wheel unsafe but the dust can be dangerous too. I have a spot on my left arm that was the result of a 3rd degree burn caused from a Magnesium explosion from the dust being ignited. Just say'n Aluminum and Magnesium dust alone can be very dangerous under the right conditions. It took place at a local aluminum/magnesium plant. It ignited in the dust collection system and i was blown 10 feet against a wall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.