1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GPS RECOMMENDS !!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe Woods, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

What is everybody buying for GPS these days. I have one that is a year or two old. Was thinking about a new one. Hoping not to spend $1000.00 but do realize you get what you pay for. Any suggestions.

Joe Woods/Ontario

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I bought a Garmin (Nuvi) off of EBay two years ago, the thing does all I need and more ... I paid $200 for the same unit my brother paid $400 for and I also got free shipping ... When the time comes that I need another one I will probably get another Garmin ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I've got a Garmin NUVI 760 that does a great job. I can download all the updates when they happen. It's bluetooth compatable, re-routs around construction and accidents. It's a pretty user friendly device and I only paid $100 for it new a year ago (a deal through a motorsports team from a sponser).

ss

4. Maurice

Maurice Member

I have been using a TOMTOM GO 720 for over 12 months, you can update any road changes due to construction or any other reasons on a weekly basis. Directions are by voice and visual, has lane guidance and many more features. On a recent trip to Washington DC there was only a .5km difference between what the GPS calculated the return trip to be and what my odometer recorded. It is also Blue Tooth compatible.I paid $325 for it about 14 months ago. Maurice ( The Brit. )

5. shadow

shadow Active Member

Garmin is the route to take. Pun intended.

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Zardo,

I think the woman (female voice) on the Garmin is my EX wife or related to her because she was Bossy also ... I like to make a wrong turn on purpose, that really gets her going and makes her sound like she wants to go off on you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Recalculating. She does get pissed off if you don't follow her directions. HMB

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I did to mine what I couldn't do to my EX. I just muted her:)

ss

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

We call her Gladus....Gladus Garmin. She's very smart!

10. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Garmin....

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Member

Garmin 255W or 255WT. I bought the 255WT last weekend at Best Buy for $169. They are the same unit except the "T" model will receive local traffic updates as a subscription service. I didn't really want the "T" version but it was the one on sale and it was $30 cheaper than the "W". I have seen the "W" for $159 if you catch them on the right day.

12. brantman

brantman TS Member

dont get a tom tom ,they suck big time. yes Im a owner of one, hope to get a garmin for christmas

13. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 265WT from The GPSStore.

www.theGPSstore.com

Great customer service!!

SW

14. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

My preference is the Garmin Nuvi in my truck and car and the Garmin eTREX for the woods.

15. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

garmin nuvi 205 119.95 at kmart.com great gps we have her set to the brittish accent and her name is gretchen! it is fun to piss her off lol

16. Maurice

Maurice Member

Brantman, maybe you should learn how to use it. I have used a number of makes of GPS units and I did about six months of research before I decided on the TOMTOM, it is by far the best unit available and I am not saying the Garmin is not a good unit as it is very competent. The TOMTOM GO 720 is also voice activated and also has traffic reports as an additional paid feature. As I mentioned in my earlier post my unit was only 0.5km different from my truck odometer on a return trip of over 2,000km to Washington DC. Maurice ( The Brit )

17. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

TomTom 130 is all you need and the fastest to program.
    Didn't say it was the best guys - since we all know how to drive and stuff like that it will do all you need on the roads.
    I've got a nuvi also, just usually grab the tomtom.

PS - you can get one for less than $100

18. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I married a GPS so I didn't really need one. I did buy a refurb Navigon from Tiger Direct and it works fine when she isn't with me.

19. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Hoosier Daddy - might have just struck me funny, but I can't stop laughing.
    I used to be married to one too now that I think about it.

Still Laughing

20. skeezix

skeezix Member

My wife has one of the Garmin units - don't recall which one, but we got Gladys with it "Recalculating" I think she gets starts getting pissed after about the third try.

I took it to Phoenix this spring for the Skeet Zone 7 shoot. I thought, well, its a couple years old, maybe I'll check and see about updated maps. HA! I think to download new maps cost almost as much as a new unit. grr.

Other than the updating software costs I like the unit. I don't know what TomTom charges.

John