1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GPS question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by halfmile, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Never had one, but want to do 2 things and I don't think they all can do it.

1 is to plug in a set of latitude longitude co-ordinates and have it take me there. I guess it needs a keypad or another way to insert it.

The other of course is to show the latitude/longitude data.

Car or handheld don't matter, cost/quality issues considered.

thanks,

HM

2. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

Halfmile,

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 - it does both of which you identified as well as address input etc. I have had mine for about 6 months and now I don't know how I got along without it. I have eliminated all of the maps out of the tow vehicle and rely solely on the Garmin. Nice feature is to be able to display a map of where your vehicle is traveling - down to the street level or as 'course' as the US.

Several months ago I tried to enter an address for a gun club into my Garmin - obviously had an inaccurate street or city association. I went to Google Earth - visually found the location I was looking for and captured the Latitude & Longitude. Took these co-ordinates and entered them into the Garmin - two hours later I was at the gun club.

Ron

3. k80jim

k80jim Member

There are a lot of good gps units out there. But I think Garmin is on top. I have had a couple. I am now using a 276c and love it. I will try and post a link to a Adventure Motorcycle Site below that has a section all about gps. The top half is were people post tracks you can download and ride. NO use for you. But below that section you will see lots of post with Q & A's. There is one that is titled. " Lost or confused, before you ask another stupid question click here" Or something like that. It will be about the second or third post down. They talk all about the different units, how they work, how to save and download trips. Some you can even go to Google Earth and save your route and load it in. Good luck. It does take a bit of time to get good with it. But they are great units.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Sorry, but the link about might have to be copied and pasted. If it does not take you right there.

Jim Lee

4. halfmile

OK, I coasted around some sites, including the above listed. I find they say a lot of the software uses a format with decimal division of lat & long degrees, but there is some with the Minutes/seconds etc system of location.

I think there is a software fix for that too. Learning curve ensues.

HM

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Halfmile, As a offshore fisherman I can tell you all you need is any marine type GPS unit. Any handheld unit will do.All use Lat & long.Always tells you your current position, just type in the #'s you want to go to. I do like the Garmin as well, but there are some less expensive units out there that will do the same thing. They will not have any road tracks per say. They can and will have a compass heading and a arrow type direction as well as well as ETA at current speed and direction. You can pick-up some cheap ones at the marine department at sporting good stores, at just over $100. Or you can buy a one with more bells and whistles at any Marine Boating supply. Hope this helps you out. Break-em all. Jeff

6. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

Garmin GPS units give you a choice of how the lat and long are read out. It will do any type you want. The needs you state are the very basics of any Garmin GPS unit.

7. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

I'm with Pull & Mark n this one! I bought a Lowrance for fishing $200! Waterproof, shows Lat& Lon, Compass, Alarm for turning, ETA, speed, alituide, Distance traveled,etc. The road map doesn't have much detail because I didnt download it. With this if I were to do it, it would show place of interest also. Plus more things I'm learning about!

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Though I have a Garmin I5 GPS which is great, what's better is my cell phone.
    I have Verizon Wireless Navigator service which adds $ 10 a month to my phone bill. It doesn't require a view of the satellites because it works through cell phone towers. You can use it anywhere your cell phone works. For extended road trips or when I don't have cell phone service I use the Garmin.

In the menu is a selection to get the co-ordinates of any location including your current location. I don't know what other cell phone providers have a GPS system, but I'm sure there are some. However, you can't get GPS service on most PDA's including a Blackberry or the new Apple Iphone.

9. obfd13

obfd13 Member

not sure what coordinates to use? here's a link to a gps coordinate converter and map program. http://boulter.com/gps/?c=36.711031+-119.736899

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with a GPS on a motorcycle? I understand some companies make models designed with bikes in mind but I have just one friend with one and his cost more than I think one is worth. Of course, he bought it years ago and like most technologies, the cost of them is falling.

Ed

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with a GPS on a motorcycle? I understand some companies make models designed with bikes in mind but I have just one friend with one and his cost more than I think one is worth. Of course, he bought it years ago and like most technologies, the cost of them is falling.

Ed

12. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have posted a URL for an excellent GPS web site. Any questions can be researched or answered there.

I have a Garmin 320 which is their basic unit. I have a horrible sense of direction so it's the cat's meow. Excellent tech support if you need it.

Ed they do make units for bikes. See the URL above.

Cheeers,

Jerry

13. Augie Daddi

Augie Daddi TS Member

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 680 several months ago and it's great. No need to look at the screen. Just listen to the voice. You even get to select a voice of your liking. I used it at night when you couldn't see the street signs and it was a marvel. Alerts you to a need to stay right or left and tells you several times when approaching a street you need to turn on. Lets you know when you've arrived at the address you entered. You know you've missed an instruction when it tells you that it is 'recalculating'. Like a cell phone I wonder how we ever did without a GPS. When you register your unit, Garmin tells you whether you have the latest map. You get a one time upgrade to the latest map. I received a 2008 North America CD that took almost 2 hours to load from my PC to my Garmin. If you need other maps or upgrades, they charge. Not having tried other GPS units, I can't compare. However from what I've read, Garmin appears to be highly rated.

ABD

14. halfmile

Sounds like a basic unit will do me. That is as long as there is a method to put the data in without connecting to a computer. I am planning a couple trips next year, using Google Earth to find some likely spots. Not a lot of roads in the area, and sometimes will have to go the long way around to get to a spot.

Plugging in the coordinates will tell me where I need to get, topo maps will tell me how to get there.

Best part is my partner is going to spring for the unit (I just get to do all the work).

I do see some price specials now for the shopping season, Older models going for reduced prices. I don't think I want the TomTom, though. Looks like a cheapie.

HM