1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GPS question...is it done?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

I started out for the Indiana State Shoot with my Garmin 660 nuvi, I turned it on put in the address and it said the arrival time would be 7:30 a.m. the current time was @10 a.m. It's only about a 3 hour drive. It would eventually get the arrival time to @ 10 P.M. also, it would want me to turn every 3-4 miles, I go up I-65 so I knew there was no need to turn until I got close to Indy. Thank the Lord my phone has a GPS and got me there. The Garmin also for some reason turned itself off twice. The last time I left it off. Anyone with thoughts? Anyone with experience like this? Does it sould like it is finished?

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I have a Nuvi 1450LMT and twice in the year I've owned it, it has spoken correct directions but shown entirely different ones. I was on I-78 once and it was showing me as being on I-283. Both are in this region but lead to very different places. Both times, I switched the unit off and back on - when it booted up, everything returned to normal. I think you can connect with a hinky satellite sometimes.

But what I experienced is NOTHING like my fellow Enterprise Car Sales drivers with TomToms put up with. They don't recognize ZIP code 16061, a Pittsburgh-area destination we go to occasionally. They don't recognize the heavily-traveled highway in Newport News, Virginia that our car sales office is on. They almost always provide directions for a longer route than the Garmins the rest of us have. They tell you to turn where there is no intersection. And once, when a co-worker and I were en route to Port Newark, New Jersey, using his TomTom, it told us to turn into a church and about a mile later, into a Sam's Club.

We're down to one driver with a TomTom - the rest all bought Garmins and are glad they made the switch.

Ed

3. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello,,

Sometimes it is necessary to stop & start, re-boot if you will,
    I shut mine down , re-load the destination, then all seems ok.

Mine will want turns that seem to be out of the way , just keep driving,
    it will adjust to a different route, it will work better as you get closer.

If your GPS is programmed for the fastest route, it might select roads
    that you don't want to travel, just keep driving, it will get you there.

Also if you just use the "view map" until closer to the destination, then
    put in the info, it seems to have a better chance of operating correctly.

4. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Try updating the firmware.

Tim

5. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Maybe you just can't get here from there. lol

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Road maps are a lot cheaper, assuming you can read.....

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have an older Nuvi unit that continually tells me to turn and it also shuts down on its own ... The unit was not used very much and the battery got to the point it will not take a charge but will operate off of the battery in the vehicle if I give it time enough to get charged up before putting my settings in it ... I bought another Garmin Nuvi unit with a bigger screen that does all of the things the older unit does without the agravation ... I ordered it of of EBay, $85.00 shipped and no more problem ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not sure of the significance of this, but there have been major solar flares over the last few days. They are known to interfere with GPS satellite tracking ability.

A re-boot might be in order...

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I`m always arguing with her telling me to turn off the major highways and take her way !!! I`ll be driving south on the NJ Turnpike to Delaware and she wants me to take 295 ?? Coming home it stops at the corner down the street saying I`m home ?? Happens to others coming to my home ? Maybe I don`t live here ??

10. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the GPS industry is owned by the Gas and Oil companies. These confounded machines will invariably send you on a 60 mile jaunt to get to a 10 mile straight-line destination. Don't trust them and never will.

I use aviation software in a Nav aid, and I always but in way-points to insure it goes where I want, and not it. Give me a printed map and Atlas any day.

Kip

11. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

If you use it with the GPS battery it will not give the correct readings.You have to use the car battery. My garmin on battery said I had .2 of a mile to go to my drive-way when I was already setting in it. Henry

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I don't know what makes you guys hate technology so much. My GPS has bailed my butt out of wrong turns in large cities and helped me avoid severe traffic congestion many times. Maps just cannot do that.

I once took an incorrect ramp when faced with a confusing choice in heavy traffic. Not wanting to take my eyes off the congested curving elevated highway in front of me to check the map on the GPS' screen, I took my chances and guessed wrong. I wound up in the ghetto of a major city and normally, I would have been worried about where to go. But I just waited a few seconds for the infamous, "Recalculating..." and followed the unit's instructions back onto the highway I wanted to be on.

Several months ago, I was traveling with a 91 year-old co-worker (yes, he still drives and very well, too) to Philadelphia. His memory for good eating spots is very good and he instructed me to get off the Schuylkill Expressway at City Avenue so we could eat lunch at a great restaurant. Perhaps two congested city miles into I-have-no-idea-where, he decided the restaurant he hadn't been to in 10 years must no longer exist. No problem - Mr. Garmin guided me back to I-76.

Just a few weeks ago, I was traveling back to our office from Washington D.C. on I-83 when my GPS advised me that the road was closed at mile-marker 31 and gave me an alternate route to avoid the tie-up. In less than 10 minutes, I was re-entering a deserted I-83 on the other side of the closure.

But I work with a couple of guys who distrust their GPS units, too (that 91 year-old is one of them). However, their problems are self-inflicted - maps that are several revisions out of date, destinations that are entered incorrectly and destinations in other states entered without first changing the state in the unit. When the address cannot be found, they blame the GPS and head off blindly.

I wouldn't think of traveling without mine. Even when I know where I'm going or was just at that destination the day before, I use it for the traffic warnings. On average, I'm warned of an impending delay ahead that I am able to avoid once a week.

Ed

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try this one instead...

14. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I only made it through two of them. Maybe if it were Elizabeth Hurley.

15. G550

G550 TS Member

Turn the unit off, with a charged battery, and not connected to the charger. When you turn it back on hold the button in until the the unit boots up (10 to 20 sec). This will force a reset and may resolve the problem.

RCH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.