1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gps help?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I have a Garmin 60cx. I am going on a trip to whyoming to hunt mule deer on BLM lands were all roads are dirt and deep valley's. The roads are very bad and often a quad is used. Will a Garmin topo micro SD card of that area help me get in and out? thanks

2. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I think it will help. I used Garmin topo this summer hunting Prairie dogs in Wyoming. I was on both public and private land. If I could see a jeep trail it was usually on the topo map on my Garmin. All in all I think it was worth the money.

jim brown

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

jim , thanks. hope your doing well.

4. ken a

ken a Member

You mentioned deep valleys and this may cause your gps to loose satillets and this is a cause of concern when trying to find your way. I'm familar with garmin gps units and they are very good and the best at holding sats. I have used the garmin and lowrance hunting and they are very helpfull in finding your way. I wouldn't be without them and a cell phone while in the wild. If you should get hurt or lost you could likely communicate your gps position to others. By all means bring extra alkaline batteries. Get very familiar with your gps unit at home so you have confidence. I suggest you mount it in the car and use it every time you go somewhere to gain the experience.

5. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Zard,

I plan to be there shortly after December 1.

jim brown

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You'll need at least 3 points to get a vectored position. You may have trouble in valleys, but you can always go to the top of a nearby hill.