1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GPS for Off Road use

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by dverna, Apr 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Any recommendations?

I want something for trail riding and general use. Vehicle is a Polaris Ranger. The ability to downloads maps for different areas. Planned trips are Northern MI, Royal Blue in TN and Hatfield & McCoy trails in WV.

Thanks,

Don Verna

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

The greenies are still getting their way in our state(WA)!

The federal government is broke but they can find monies to destruct Forest Service roads!!! They (greenies) don't want you out in the forest driving around, you might disturb the fairy's and leprechauns! NO JOKE!

Check out the Wenatchee - Okanogan National Forest districts contracts.

I've logged in most of those areas and they are claiming they are doing it to save the fish!

Fish is the buzz word for unlimited money around here!

Guess what?

There are no fish or habitat where they are destroying the road network.

Their projected goal is "pavement" only roads! no need for a GPS.

If you check into this, be careful,some of the greenies are wearing FS uniforms! They will tell you one thing but DO the opposite!

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I use a RINO 530 by garmin. It is also a two way radio and an electronic compass.

4. woodtick2

woodtick2 TS Member

Every Forester I know including myself use Garmins. I currently am using a Garmin Map 60CS. It's was $199 at gpscity.com. Works great and holds signal well in dense cover.

Timberfaller is right on regarding the forest service. The special interest greenies are calling the shots. I believe they have more employees now and when they use to manage timber stands. They should be making the feds billions of dollars, but they are costing the tax payers billions instead. The last figures I saw they where only harvesting 1/12th of what they are growing. It is a huge money pit that is extremely mismanaged both as a department and their lands.

Randy Kerr

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Correct Randy,

Where I live logging is down about 75% of what used to be done. All but two mills are running. 20 some mill are no longer around, thousands of jobs lost. All to save trees for those that fight wild fires!! And cost is in the Millions annually!!!

A renewable resource and asset, HAS become a expenditure to the tax payers!

6. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

My grandfather and father were USFS career foresters. My dad advised me in the early '70s to avoid following in their footsteps. Their mission today is social engineering, like all government agencies. They have Regional and District administrators today who are non foresters, non hunters and many are products of urban upbringing. Bottom line, it ain't our National Forest anymore. Its only going to get worse.

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Go have fun but remember that all things electronic can fail and usually at the worst time. get a good compass, a dial watch and learn how to use a topo map. Learn all the outdoors skills that you can. If in doubt find a boy scout to take with you and remember that moss grows mostly on the north side of a tree.

Bob

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

First of all, Tom-Tom is useless for off-road. Highway use only.

When I got my little (read cheap) E-Trex, I took a class at the local science museum. Best thing I ever did. Not only did he teach us about the E-Trex, but spent a lot of time with map and compass. He insisted that you really need to know both. Batteries fail, things get dunked, cold messes things up, etc.

So...know your map and compass as well as the gadget.

And...Geocaching is a lot of fun! Google it!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.