1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GPS for guns or Hard cases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682LINY, Dec 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have been see'ing new GPS trackers,,,(cell based) I think,,,,small enough to put on a pet collar or in a lap top ,,,,has any though been given by the high end case makers on offering this as an option permently mounted in a hard case for those who travel or fly alot with their gun/guns

2. smokngun

smokngun TS Member

http://www.gpstrackingstore.com/shop.htm
    $499.00 plus the monthly fee??
    View Asset(GUNs etc), Person, Vehicle, or Equipment location in real-time
    View historical movement of vehicle(s)
    Dispatch - Find nearest vehicle to an address
    Landmarks - view customer's sites on mapping (with vehicle's location)
    Set Geo-fences to receive notice if vehicle leaves area
    Monitor time when vehicle arrives/leaves job site and/or home base
    View historical reporting (i.e. start time w/address, stop time w/address), miles driven
    Vehicle Maintenance - track vehicle maintenance items
    Backup Battery - Use for power disconnect alert (optional)
    Multiple Telemtry - 2 inputs and 2 outputs for use with multiple PTO's

Click Here for Details
    Updates Rate
    5 minute updates $19.99
    2 minute updates $29.99
    Voice plan for 2-way communication $9.99 and up
    Geofence Alerts via Text/Email $FREE

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

They make LoJack for laptops there should be no reason why they can't put them in a gun case or gun for that matter.

Bob Lawless

4. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Good idea.

http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/gps-car-tracking-vehicle-logging.html

5. ivanhoe

FlaLagarto I agree that it could be on the gun.

However if discovered removing the stock is probably the cheapest and easiest way out of getting rid of it.

If it is installed in the center of the locking bolt or barrel lug it might be better.

Bob Lawless

6. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I have to add some technical stuff to this conversation. #1. It cost more than insurance. #2. It needs a power source. We have sold thousands of GPS units and generally power from a vehicle's 12 v system or internal batteries as small as a large pack of gum. #3. The GPS receiver must track a 450 watt radio signal from at least four satellites orbiting at about 12000 miles. Difficult to do if the receiver's antenna is in a gun case. #4. Must have imbedded cell phone to transmit the location. I make my living selling and training people how to use GPS. You' de be better off with some good insurance. But, if you need GPS for tracking, surveying or construction let me know.

7. ivanhoe

ebsurveyor you are probably right after all you work with this for a living.

Maybe it is not feasible directly in the gun. The question is if the battery can be recharged and an antenna can be built into a gun case, could it become feasible. I know it won't be as cheap as insurance.

It would however be really gratifying to catch these slim bag that steal peoples guns red handed. Wishful thinking I guess

Bob Lawless

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Those who say it cant be done will never do it,,,,I am thinking about airline and air port loss,,,,as with lojack,,,,it woulg catch them before they knew what happend,,,,,only turned on during travel,,,my cell phone has a gps ,,mapping system that I can turn on by the day or by the month,,,,and pluging it in before travel should give good batt lift as it will not be used for making phone calls,,,,,I would use it for the big shoots I travel to,,,,june thru sept,,,,local shoots just use my small case not my flying case,,,,,,,its just that airports allways worrie me

9. ivanhoe

682LINY my vehicle has a GPS in it also it gets used so little its almost a waste.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.