1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gps for car

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DoubleAuto, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I am going to buy a Garmin Nuvi 255W at Sam's Club tomorrow for $169.95.

DoubleAuto

2. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I just bought a Garmin at Sam's Club, the same one as above with ext warranty and tax for 197.00. One of the agencies I work at has the Tom Tom brand and although it does work ok, it is not liked as well as any Garmin by the majority of the staff I have spoken to about them.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Another vote for a Garmin. I could not ask for a better one on my boat. Still need no reason for one in my car yet, with Map Quest. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I had a Tom-Tom and got a Garmin Nuvi 350 recently. No Comparison! The Garmin is far and away a better GPS system. The Tom Tom would tell me to turn right at the next street while the Garmin not only tells me to turn right, it gives me the actual name of the street to turn on. If I miss the turn, the Garmin will automatically refigure the route and get me back on track instantly, which is something the Tom Tom may, or may not do, depending on the day I was using it. I will only have a Garmin from now on. Just my experience. Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Garmin! Even a refurb 205 is a better bet than the Tom Tom.

6. shadow

shadow Active Member

We had a Tom-Tom and it only took a few days to take it back and swap it for a Garmin.

7. shadow

shadow Active Member

We had a Tom-Tom and it only took a few days to take it back and swap it for a Garmin.

8. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Garmin is the way to go
    4.3 inch screen and no smaller
    600 series and above ( brighter screens)

Go to Amazon.com and look for refurbished garmins,

Here is an example, sorry you need to cut and past but much better better than a 200 series. Although you might not use the extra stuff the brighter screen is nice during the day. I would get once but my old clam shell 340 is still working strong.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Widescreen-Bluetooth-Navigator-Refurbished/dp/B000YE99NQ/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1249561304&sr=8-7

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

My Garmin is about 2½ years old and needs the updated maps. Garmin wants $109 for the updates. I might buy a new one instead.

10. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Costco sells the Garmin 265WT for about $220.00. Nice GPS; it's got everything I need and much improved over the high-end Garmin Street Pilot I replaced.

11. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

EE, wouldn't looking at your compass distract you too? Ditto for looking at a map.

GPS is a great thing, whether you're driving, flying, or hiking.

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

They have some Garmin units on EBay for some great prices ... I bought a $400 unit for $200, brand new, not refurbished ... It'll get you there but bring a gun to make sure its safely ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I have a Garmin Nuvi and once set, I don't have to look at the screen at all. It tells me via voice command, where the next turn is, how far and which lane to get in. Couldn't be any better than that except knowing the way. Hap

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Hap is right on the money..... Set it and forget it. I never need to look at it once my destination is set. I just listen for the directions and it couldn't get any better than that unless someone else was driving... Dan

15. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Does it have a sultry female voice and say little nothins to ya on long streatches with no turns Hap??

Guy B.

16. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Guy, of course it's a female voice...who better to tell you where to go and how to drive?

17. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

EE I know you're joking because nobody could be that dense.

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I agree with EE on this one, a GPS is a toy but at times can be helpful ... Some people just like being told that to do and others just do it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Guy, the sweetest voices I hear come from the back seat?? :)

WPT, seems someone is always telling me where to go, or where to stick something? LOL Hap

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

"Recalculating". HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.