1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gps/fishfinder advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by James L Balog, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James L Balog

James L Balog Member

Well my fishfinder on my boat is very old and its time for an upgrade. I want to go to a gps/fishfinder combo instead of using my cell phone for a gps.

There is a ton of them out there so I was looking for some advice. I see that the prices range from as low as 300 up to 1500. The most id want to spend is 700 or so. I'm young and my eyes are good enough so I don't need a huge screen. I'm looking for a quality peice which is most important to me but if I can save a few bucks I'm all for it.

I'm sure there's quite a few fisherman on this forum so what do you guys use and what do you recommend?

2. mra

mra TS Member

Lowrance HDS 5

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a Garmin GPSAP 178c Sounder and is several years old but they have a newer upgraded model that was the price range you are wanting. I liked it because you have the ability to install an up to date card that gives you the channels and depths from memory and then if you actually get in an area that is shallower it will tell you. I used it for coastal fishing. Jackie B.