1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GPS brand/model recommendations?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by johnjohn91387, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

Thinking GPS.....

Saw one mounted on a motorcycle, and it got me to thinking; I've never been lost on my bike.....but I HAVE been confused....

Moving on, suggestions?

Costco has a model or two, usually......

Thanks.

John

2. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello John,,

I went through the same research a while back , looking & asking questions,
    I ended up with the Garmin Nuvi 1490 T

It has a 5" screen , the T is traffic mode , there is a pedestrian mode if
    you want to carry it in your pocket.

Very happy with the bundle of lifetime maps, and the lifetime traffic, it
    includes a base so you don't have to fasten to the windshield.

3. TjayE

TjayE Member

hwy13, how does the Garmin mount to the car dash?

4. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello TjayE,

The unit does not fasten to the dash, it suction cups to a weighted
    base unit that you can position on the dash or on the console. I super
    glued the suction cup to the base to make it permanent.

The screen will snap in & out of the holder if you want to put it in
    your pocket , I take the whole base unit inside at night , or put it
    out of sight on the floor if going to be in a store for a short time.

I put the base unit on the dash when driving my jeep, on the console
    when driving my pick-up truck, all you need is a cigarette lighter
    plug -in , the unit can read the signals either way.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Have 3 Garmins and a Tom-Tom. No more Tom-Toms.Get the Nuvi. Bulge.

6. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello TjayE,

Back again, if this is any help the sku # 's are
    ARO12 & GAX11375 these are the two accessories
    that I was talking about, very convenient.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

About three months ago, I started a part-time retirement job driving vehicles all over the northeast for Enterprise Car Sales. I immediately saw that I had to have a GPS and started the shopping procedure. My co-workers, 10 of them, all have GPS units and all but one are Garmins. The other has a TomTom and it sucks, in plain words.

Before I got my GPS, he and I went to western Pennsylvania and the TomTom couldn't find the destination ZIP code. The next time we traveled together, it was to Newport News, Virginia. He had been there before and cautioned me that the street our office is on doesn't come up on a GPS and you have to use the nearest intersecting street. Well, mine recognized that street name and took us to it with no problem.

Meanwhile, my son was given a TomTom by a company he represents and the first time he used it was the last. He gave it away and bought a Garmin. The guy I work with paid $67 for a map update and the thing still can't find that ZIP code in western PA. But especially now that he sunk another $67 in his, he's too cheap to buy a new one and leaves his at home, preferring to use Google or MapQuest directions.

I bought a Garmin 1450LMT - 5" with the free lifetime traffic and map updates that attaches to the windshield with a suction cup mount or to the instrument panel using a smooth disc for the cup to grip. It isn't perfect - I've found two mistakes it makes so far, but 99% of the time over the 10,040 miles I've driven with it over interstate highways and some mountain roads that could be classified as trails, it's right even when I initially think it isn't.

Most places charge $239.99 for this model but Cabela's often has it on sale for $189.99.

Ed

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Another co-worker of mine has Garmin GPS software on/in his tablet and it doesn't work as well as a stand-alone GPS. Before I had mine, we took two vehicles to northern New Jersey and I followed him. We made sudden right turns into a church and a Sam's Club - both times, his GPS told him to "turn here" and we were nowhere near a destination (he since has found that it goes nuts every time he goes to New Jersey). Then, after we were good and lost with no idea how to even get back where we came from, we discovered it lacks the "Where am I?" feature of a normal Garmin GPS. We stopped at two convenience stores for directions and came away from those encounters with the belief that Spanish and Russian apparently are the official languages of north Jersey.

Ed

9. TjayE

TjayE Member

Ed, thanks for your input on the Garmin GPS. Also, it is scary to hear the official languages in North Jersey is Spanish and Russian. Tom

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Fortunatly I live in South Jersey! Farsi and Arabic are the new languages of the north.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I have both a Garmin GPS and Google Navigator on my cell phone. If my GPS isn't
    locating the satellites, I connect with my cell phone through the nearest cell.
    If the cell phone doesn't have reception, I used the Garmin. If neither is working I have a map.

12. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Garmin 5" Nuvi is way to go

13. johnjohn91387

johnjohn91387 TS Member

1490 LMT for $186 delivered, Amazon.com.....

Thanks for the PM, and the VERY helpful info.....

John

14. howie

howie Member

Garmin or Magellan are the two manufacturers you should look at. Make sure you get at least a 4.5-inch screen. The models and features vary so pick the model that has the features you want. I have a Garmin and my wife a Magellan. Both work well and if you know how to specify how you want to get where you're going (least time, least distance, etc.) you won;t get sent down too many cow paths.

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I have an older Garmin and and shopping to purchase a new one (Garmin) in the next 30 days. Waiting on holiday sales.

For me I'm getting one with Blue Tooth so my cell will work through it when in the vehicle. Just an option you might want to look at.

Also, a few mentioned the 5 inch screen. Highly recommend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.