1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GP Trap Motor replace or rebuild-or spare in WNY?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The drive motor on the GP trap at the club went tonight, and we NEED it to be functional by saturday morning.

It seems like the gears are maybe stripped, or something became disengaged? The motor will make a sound when turned on, but won't rotate to cock the arm, and the shaft out of the gearbox that engages the arm can be twisted at least half way by hand.

Any guesses on the kind of shop that could repair something like this?

As an alternative, anybody in western NY that has a spare that they could loan my club for the weekend?

The trap guy at the club is going to call GP in the morning, but I'm fairly certain there's going to be no way to get us a new one in time for saturday morning...

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

There is a shear pin that might have let go. The motor itself can be repaired at a shop that does DC motors like car starters. If the gearbox is junk it will have to be replaced. GP in Kansas might have a spare motor but it might not match up with your gear box. The company has had to change suppliers a couple of times and I believe there are like three different combos of motors and gear boxes now. Good luck!

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

3200- Any idea where the shear pin is? I had the gearbox somewhat apart last night looking for one, but didn't find anything that was obviously broken (not that I could see much with all the grease in there, and I didn't want to take too much out not knowing what to replace it with). Is it possible to replace the shear pin and return the gearbox to operability (if that is whats broken)?

BTW, found out this morning that we do have a spare drive motor at the club, we came across it last night, but thought it was an oscillation b/c it looked perfectly the same, but I've been told it is a drive motor, so it shouldn't be a big deal to swap out this afternoon.

4. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Shear pin is in gearbox.

When the shear pin lets go, pieces generally stay in the gear, and make it hard to tell it is sheared.

Take a tool to pry with, and gently try turning the gear. If it turns without the shaft turning......tadaa!! Add extra grease to gearbox if needed.

We had problems with the brushes, too. They would stick, and not make good contact, thus overheating the pressure spring on the brush. Sometimes tapping gently on the motor would make it re-start, so we knew we needed new brushes.

Always keep extra brushes on hand, and change every 100,000 targets or so.

...We also have a spare GP trap for sale if you are interested....$1500.00

We were fortunate enough to buy a Pat-Trap as a replacement.

The GP is ready to go, with some new parts. Just needs final adjustment after install.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gp traps problems

replace motor on gp trap