1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Government buying hollow point rounds?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 27-T, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 27-T

27-T Member

Haven't been on here for a few days so this may be old news. Heard today that the military (our government) is buying one million hollow point rounds, presumably in .223. This is against the Geneva Convention rules for military use. Also heard that they are also ordering thousands and thousands of body armor vests. Has anyone heard this same thing, or is this possibly a hoax?

At best, it is alarming if any part of this is true. With the election coming in approx. 100 days, I don't put anything past Adolph Obama.

Lets hope this all a false rumor, but I'd like to be sure, if thats possible. Our country is in very bad shape right now and there is a lot of discent among the people. With the uprisings in other countries, it's not impossible that it could happen here. I'm not trying to stir the pot, but Soros would love to see this country go down, along with Rev.(?) Wright, and others.

If you have any information, share it with the rest of us.

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I am not so sure hollow points are against the Geneva Convention.

As it was explained to me, years ago, the military uses full metal jackets, because they inflict more wounded, by going through and hitting another person or two.

When a soilder is wounded, it then takes one person at least or more o recover the injured and pull him to safety. You could take 3 people out of the battle this way.

Law enforcement uses hollow points to prevent over penetration. An LEO does not want to fire a round that goes through the suspect and takes down another person. You would not want to hear for example a round go through the perp, through a wall an strike an infant in the next room. In urban settings, that is what can happen.

So rumor or not, it means nothing in the long run, if you kill a person with a FMJ or a JHP, why would one be more inhumane than the other???

Perhaps the " wound one, take out three " thinking is out of date, given the trash our troops run into now days.

Also a FMJ is more likely to go through armor than a JHP, so a JHP is not a good round to use against soldiers using armor..........perhaps the military is planning on using FMJ in urban settings. Perhaps against us.

3. G550

G550 TS Member

JHP does not conform to the Geneva Convention. However, when Special Forces are seconded to the CIA for an operation (UBL) they can use whatever they want as they are not operating as a US Mil unit.

RCH

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

The Hague Convention of 1899, Declaration III, prohibited the use in international warfare of bullets that easily expand or flatten in the body.[3] This is often incorrectly believed to be prohibited in the Geneva Conventions, but it significantly predates those conventions, and is in fact a continuance of the St. Petersburg Declaration of 1868, which banned exploding projectiles of less than 400 grams, as well as weapons designed to aggravate injured soldiers or make their death inevitable. NATO members do not use small arms ammunition that is prohibited by the Hague Convention.

Source: wikipedia

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

How many people on here really believe our own troops would fire on the US citizen? Their own family. LOL

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

DHS recently bought 450 million rounds of 40 cal.....that may be what they are talking about.....

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Did you ever consider the rounds your referring to might just be the bullets the military buys from Sierra for the military shooting teams? Just like the military participants are using at the Camp Perry shooting championships taking place this week. The US military is also the largest purchaser of Eley 22 ammunition.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have military match ammo in 223, 308 and 30-06, and all of it has hollow points. The boxes specifically say they're for target use, not for combat.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Come on TOOLMAKER, it's no fun if they can't make it be a conspiracy of some sort.

10. 27-T

27-T Member

Hey guys, it was just a question!!! Sincere and concerning. I don't know all the answers so I sometimes ask a question seeking an intelligent answer.

Thanks to those of you for your inlightening answers, like target ammo, special forces use, etc., etc. I hadn't thought of those possibilities. But for Barfin, well, you just can't fix stupid!!!!!!!

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Serious Question:...does or should a terrorist count as a "soldier" which the Geneva Convention articles of war are meant to apply to during a declared war...my opinion is no...smoke'em with whatever you got up the pipe..anything goes against scumbags and especially when protecting innocents of any nationality..JMHO, but I'm a vet and a bit of a harda$$ and have no pity for poor misguided terrorists who believe their cause justifies killing the harmless who get in their way

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

No uniform = No soldier = No Geneva Convention

13. Rick Barker

I think some judge ruled about 20 years ago, the Geneva Convention does not apply to terrorists, therefore they the military can use JHP on them.

If I can find a link, I will post it.

14. TOOLMAKER 251

175 grain Sierra match kings work best on towel heads.

15. Rick Barker

I think this is it.

Will keep searching for more.

16. 27-T

27-T Member

Where did the implication that ANYONE is concerned about killing terroists come from? Certainly not me!!!! As for the Geneva convention, If you'll re-read my post, I said that "I heard", implying that it was a conversation, not cast in stone as some of you have implied, and that I was trying to verify if any one had heard the same thing, or if it is a hoax.

Barfin, who stuck a barbed thorn up your ass? You sound like your pissed at the world and anything anybody says that you don't agree with. Reread the post! I thought I made it clear that "I had Heard" something, and was simply asking a question.. you have a problem with people asking a question? Get off your hard ass attitude and act like you have some sense!!!!

As for Obama, that guy took an oath to protect and defend the constitution. So far he done neither! He's violated several sections of the Constitution, he's bypassed the Congress, and in doing so, he's ignored every Americans voice in the House of Representatives. There is a strong suspicion that he and Holder are together in the gun running sting that went wrong, and he has invoked "executive privledge" to help cover it up. Now, Barfin, if you'll take the time to study the history of the German government from 1930 to 1939, you will find a remarkable parallel to government activities, then, and now!!! I'd love to debate this whole thing with you, but I don't have the time to educate those who can't educate themselves.

Before anyone else tries to jump my ass over this thread, I just asked a question, and I didn't intend to go this far on a trapshooting site. But but when hard ass ignorance tries to sound like a jerk, I have to answer him.

17. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Barfin your wrong, most times your right what you said but this time obama ordered 450 Million rounds 40 cal HP ammo for homeland security. Lee

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Hollow points work well for Homeland security and pest elimination too...whether in the hands of the armed forces or the private citizen : ) Its what I will be feeding to any uninvited guests to my home...in heaping size helpings too

19. cnsane

cnsane Member

And likes-to shoot really wants the rest of us to believe he is uneducated enough that he has never heard the phrase, 'Go Kent State on the protesters'. Ignorance is bliss, but you won't be LOL'ing when the $h!+ hits the fan.

20. TOOLMAKER 251

Besides The Kent state incident, do a search on "bonus army"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.