1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gout

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by hairy, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hairy

hairy TS Member

I got my lifetime first case of gout over the Christmas weekend. Of all places it's in my right hand. Went to the doctor yesterday and got some pills for it. Do any of you have any advice to prevent this from happening again? I didn't really eat anything out of the normal...so I really have no idea what caused it. My pills are a 7 day supply. I sure hope it doesn't last that long.

2. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Hairy........Sorry to hear that and hope you get better, but from what I have heard/read about gout is that is isn't something that comes and goes.Ask your doctor for more details!

3. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Uric acid collects in the joints. Keep hydrated. Mine was caused by some meds that dehydrated me. Also organ meats such as kidney, heart and liver contain lots of uric acid. All from my doctor. Tripod. P.S. my sympathy as it is very painfull. Tripo

4. samples

samples Member

get a prescription at the Doctor for Allipurinol (sp) it relieves the excess uric acid in your system that causes gout--

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It was commonly called the "rich man's" affliction in eighteenth century England. Due to, the drinking of red wine, and eating roast beef, and pastry. So, you must have a lot of money "hairy."

6. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

I also suffer from gout, it is EXTREMELY painful! I recently had surgery to remove a serious gout build up on my foot.

Uric Acid actually crystallizes in the joints causing the pain and inflammation.

Have your blood checked for Uric Acid. The range should be 2.6 to 7.2. My count for Uric Acid was 7. In order to lower and control Uric Acid, my doctor put me on 200 MG of Allopurinol. So, I guess I will be taking this med for life.

Good luck.

Frank

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Mash on the link for some good info on gout. Jim

8. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i suffer from gout also. anyone know why it always strikes in the middle of the night i take allipurinol also now haven,t had a serious attack since starting the med. before my biggest fear was what would you do if it stuck both feet at once? i always got it one big toe or the other. i have had milder cases in my hand but not nearly as severe as the attacks i would get in my big toes. i had a dr.tell me also that eating twinkies will help also. helps absorb the extra uric acid dwain

9. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I get it real bad on occasion. I also take Allopurinol on a daily basis. Drink more water and stay away from beer is good advice. I get it in my feet but I couldn't even dream what it would be like in your hand. You might have your Doctor give you a perscription for Colchicine and if you feel it coming on many times this will stop it if taken soon enough. Dan

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Been there-done that. Had a case that started in Feb. and lasted months. Finally subsided in Sept. Rheumatologist told me my case was probably related to the cholesterol drugs I started taking. Uric acid levels were normal and that is not unusual.

I've since met many others who had the same problem lately. My advice is to see a real doctor as my Rheumotologist told me she could have corrected my condition in a few days!!

11. AHEIA Bob

AHEIA Bob TS Member

Hairy:

Sorry to hear about your bout of gout. It is an extremely painful affliction and the weight of a bed sheet on the effected body part can be excrutiating. What you have read on the site as answers so far are all true with the exception of the one reply about "rich mans disease". It was indeed considered to be just that but modern science has proven that to be an old wives tale. If the inability to rid yourself of excess uric acid exists in your gene pool you will eventually indulge in something that sets it off. Sorry! I had it last year at the Grand so bad I could barely walk for a full day. Took my prescribed medication and day after next was back to normal. The post referring to Allopurinol is spot on - but it's a lifetime drug. I don't take it but my Dad does and hasn't had a bout since he started taking it 2 1/2 years ago. Before that he was basicallly crippled at least monthly! I have been stubborn and am trying to avoid it by watching what foods set it off.

There are a number of things to prepare yourself for. First... you will get it again. Each attacks tends to be worse if it appears in the same joint. Unfortunately.

Some things to do..

Drink plenty of water (2-3 litres a day) to help flush the uric acid through the kidneys. Please note though... if you have cardiac or kidney disease, your Doctor may actually require fluid restriction and you should consult him re fluid intake alowance. Be careful not to damage the joint. (Mine occurs in my toes and a few hours on a step ladder with poor shoes is a sure sign to cause me to have an attack).

Foods that are forbidden (very high purine content): Herring, herring roe, meat extracts, mussels, Sardines, yeast (brewers and bakers) and alas... Alcohol. Not because Alcohol in itself is bad, as it contains no purine but it does interfere with uric acid excretion.

Foods that you should avoid (not more than 1 item per week): Anchovies,bacon, chicken soup, beef, mutton leg, mutton chop, pheasant, salmon, sausage, trout, turkey, veal, venison, lobster, crab.

Be Careful (moderate purine content - not more than 1 item 4 times a week): Asparagus,bass, bouillon, brains, cauliflower, chicken, duck, halibut, ham, kidney beans, lima beans, lentils (virtually all legumes), liverwurst, mushrooms, peas, pork, rabbit, roe, shad, spinach, tongue, tripe, tuna, wholegrain cereals and bread.

There are a number of sites on the web that you can study and you will have to experiment with which foods set your affliction afire! Some people can eat some of the things listed on the forbidden list and others are ready to jump off the bridge with a single serving. The worst case of gout I ever had come from one of those spectacular turkey dinners!

Ultimately be careful what you eat, keep your water intake up (if warning above doesn't apply to you), be careful not to damage the joint and take your prescribed medication regularly. I know you only have a weeks worth of drugs but make sure you take them all. The pain will subside very quickly with the first few pills but the uric acid buildup needs to be beaten so take all your pills. Some people find relief from anti-inflammatories such as ibuprophin but frankly they don't do anything for me. Maybe in the early stages of gout you might find success. Also prepare yourself for a difficult time with the pills prescribed - depending on what you have been given - some are brutal on the stomach.

Sorry for the length of this post and I am even more sorry to hear you are experiencing this rotten affliction.

Good luck, get better and straight shooting.

Cheers!
    Bob Gruszecki
    Calgary

12. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Hairy, I've had gout for years. It comes and goes and seems to be triggered by what I eat and my current weight. For me it's shellfish that trigger the uric acid (iodine?) and sometimes just rich/sweet food. I have some cococine(sp?) that is gout specific from the doctor and also use naproxen (Aleve) for relief. Suggest you keep track of what you eat and see if there is a pattern or specific food that triggers you gout. Good luck and don't be afraid to see the doctor; you don't have to suffer endlessly.

13. stickbird

stickbird TS Member

I have heard that gout also runs in your family my father has it and so do I.
    I have noticed that since I quit drinking beer I have not had a flair up in years, if I eat allot of ham I will get a a mild case that goes away quick.
    I stumped my toe one time and thought I had broken my toe but the doctor said it was from the gout and gave me a shot of something and it cleared up almost that day.
    It is very painful you hear people say that just haveing a sheet over your toe hurts and they are right.

14. hairy

hairy TS Member

Colchicine .6mg is the drug the doctor prescribed. I was hoping today would be better, but it's not. It's funny that I can grab my right hand with my left and squeeze it and while it hurts a bit at first it actually feels good to do it. Yet to sleep at night the weight of the sheet on the bed feels like needles driven into your hand.

15. Trapmanjohn

Trapmanjohn Member

Hairy, I'm sorry to hear about your problem. My father and my sister acquired gout. The good news is that you don't need pills for it. Just eat cherries and it will go away! Always look for a natural cure. Hit 'em hard.

John

16. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

I have gout. Terrible stuff. Allopurinol has kept me attack free for along time. Not much beer anymore and drink plenty of water. Heard about the cherries but never tried them much. Good luck. This stuffs really sucks!!

Austin Fatts

17. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

AVOID spinach and sardines!! Also, Allopurinal, or however you spell it damn near killed my brother. Made a mess of his liver. If you take it and have weakness and turn gray, tell your doctor. Brother was sick for almost 18 months and they finally figured it out with a liver biopsy. Watch what you eat and it will not be nearly as bad.

Good Luck

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

"Cherries" they work for me but the Doctor who told me about them said I didn't hear it from her ... I heard it someplace but not from my Doctor but they do work no matter what she said that she didn't say, if you catch my drift ... (wink-wink) ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. stillmisses

stillmisses TS Member

Hairy I feel for you and any other Gout sufferer. My first bout with it was after moving to florida 21 years ago. Didn't realize I wasn't drinking enough water for the fliud I was losing to sweat. That and at the time I loved Liver and onions. Hits me first in the top of my left foot, dr. gave me colchicene same as you. I had it so bad he had me take 2 right away, then 1 every 5 hours until I got diahrrea. (don't do this unless your doc specifically tells you to !!!) after that it was 1 per day for a month. Next day the pain was almost gone in the foot, but the pita lasted longer from the runs. the most recent was from seafood, we went to red lobster and I had the ayce shrimp, by 3 am I was diggin for the colchicene! Gout hits many people differnt ways, and rich or poor makes no difference!
    Mike T.

20. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Had it for years. Two causes, heredity and diet. My cure took months. Still carry Indomethacin (Indocin)when I travel to take at first signs. You can't take it on an empty stomach and first dose don't drive for about four hours. Eliminate organ meats (lots of "low fat" diet processed meals have lots of that) or anything else containing high amounts of purine bodies (look that one up), stay away from anything that dehydrates (alcohol, caffeine, and I'd like to say exercise but won't).

I've been on 100 mg of allopurinol for years and have started cutting the tabs in half for 50mg/day (some Drs. say that after about 60 years of age the occurrances decrease). I hope so. The allopurinol is hard on the eyes so as soon as you can get off it the better.

We enjoy a good diet, a glass of wine with dinner and a drink or two a couple times a week and I've gone about two years without an attack....pretty good since I was never more than six months free since 1994 till two years back.