1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

##!! gout

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Hello all. It looks like I've got another old timers disease. Got gout symptoms in both feet. Right at the base of my big toes. Going to the doc today to get some meds. Anyway... does anyone have any tips for this Michigan old timer? And yes, I drink some beer....sigh. One more fun habit bites the dust.

Bill in MI

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Last week I met a guy who had Gout and was so bad he needed a motorized cart to get through around . Don`t take it lightly . Never had it myself and don`t wish it on anyone .

3. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Gout can come and go regardless of beer or any other food or drink. For me, it's champagne! I had a major bout with gout a year ago and have had only very mild relapses since. Good luck to you!

LA in MA

4. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Drink lots of cherry juice, eat a bunch of fresh cherries.

5. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Taking 1000 mg of Vitamin C in the morning and at night keeps my gout away even if I drink beer. JM

6. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

I've had it for 20+ years. Chronic gout can be easily treated with allopurinol. Acute symptoms can be treated with a variety of NSAIDS. The doc will give you a list of foods to avoid, but, with drugs, it doesn't mean that you can never eat them. YMMV, of course.

7. JLSO5

JLSO5 Member

I had it 3 times in 2 years about 20 years ago. The first time when my foot touched the floor I thought I had broken it during the night and could hardly walk. The Dr. knew what it was right away and after the 3rd time he put me on Allopurinol and I have not had it since.
    A few posts back they are talking about shingles and it is true getting OLD is not for the faint of heart.

8. snkypete

snkypete Member

Cherry juice works for some people. It would be worth a try. Look for Nature Blessed on the internet. They sell it in concentrate form shipped right to your door. Two or three tablespoons a day...works wonders.

Richard

9. RichardCurtis

RichardCurtis TS Member

Bill in Mi
    I had several years ago it was so bad I had the Doc ex-ray it, I knew it had to be broke. After getting over it with some meds, he gave me a prescription for Allipurinol, to keep from getting it again. One a day from that time on have kept me from getting it again. The med is inexpensive, with my insurance.
    Hope this helps, because the only thing thats worse is kidney stones.

DC

10. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Allopurinol 200MG daily. Been taking it for years, no more gout.

Discuss this with your doctor, Allopurinol is a prescription medication.

Frank

11. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Those with gout have been the unlucky who have a missing string in their DNA that controls the uric acid percentage in The blood. Home remedies can work, and restricting some food intake also helps. If it becomes chronic, allopurinol is a godsend. It works very well.

Gout is systemic - it's in the blood and therefore throufghout the body. What it does if not controlled is grind awa at your bodies joints, longterm, well, you get the picture. You must control it to prevent more problems down the road.

And you can get it in any part of your body, not just the big toe. It settles in the big toe often because that larger toe joint is located further from the heart and doesn't pump the blood through it as well as closer joints. My last attack of gout was in my right knee - ouch. No sleep or much else of anything for ten days...

My advise, if it attacks several times a year is see your doctor and get on allupurinol. It's a very benign drug and for most has zero side effects. The only one listed is the possibility of a rash. This is less warning than if one takes Tylenol. Good luck, boys. Smoke 'em all....

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Falcon Sprint has it. Or at least what works for me.

I keep cherry juice in the fridge and start drinking it whenever it acts up. Doesn't take long before the pain is gone.

Works for me!

Hauxfan!

13. gotbass

gotbass Member

One word - allopurinol! Given how bad it hurts, why not take a proven remedy? Been taking it for over 20 years, no side effects and no flare ups. Gout has more to do with genetics than diet. Mike

14. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I second the Allopurinol. I have to take it because of my cancer cells dying causes my uric acid to go sky high. The uric acid will cause gout. I take 400 mg. a day for now. When the cancer is whipped I will be able to cut back. I am very lucky. My chemo is in pill form and doesn't make me sick if I take a phenergan pill along with it.

15. k810329

k810329 Member

my gout is so severe that i have been hospitalized on several occassions for it.was even in kidney failure as a result of a severe gout attack.i have had gout in my feet,knees,wrists and once in my elbows.allpurinol never worked for me.i was part of the study group for uloric for 2 years.i currently take 2-80mg tablets a day and it has really cut down on my uric acid levels.

16. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Curse of the Balkan people. You're in luck because the Bing Cherry's are in season. In my experience you can't eat too many or drink too much cherry juice. I get the juice in the organic isle of my grocery store.

Shellfish and beer can be acid ninja's. Red meat is the second wave of the attack. Plenty of fluids, fresh fruits and avoid the others. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Gout in the toes and feet is worse than being shot!

IMHO,
    Kip

17. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

I too suffer from gout, its funny I posted on the shingles thread as well. But there is a natural drug /herb that I been takin, its called "Burdock" root, it makes your piss stink, but other than that no side affects, take two a day, it will "Clean" you out. I also keep allipurinol.

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I get gout in my joint by my big toe and also were I bend my wrist. When I get it in my wrist, I can not even shoot. I have never experienced anything worse than the pain I get with gout. What triggers it for me, is shell fish, or to much red meat. I now have medication and I hardly ever get it. The pain was so bad, I couldn't stand even putting a sheet touching my foot. I wouldn't wish gout on my worst enemy.
    Steve Balistreri

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I hope Obama and Biden get gout!!

Oh...and all their friends too!!

Curt