1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gout..OMG!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jerseyshooter, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerseyshooter

Jerseyshooter TS Member

Had an attack of Gout a few weeks ago. I have broken bones jumping out of helicopters, etc...NOTHING has ever hurt like that. I have stopped red meat, alcohol and shellfish. I figure that will help me lose some weight. I don't want to go on regular meds if I can avoid it. I am 48 and in otherwise good health...runs in the family apparently. Have any of you found any remedies that seem to help like cherry juice? I DO NOT want to go through that again fer shur. RICH

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jerseyshooter:

Congratulations:

You are now qualified to apply for membership in the British Admiral's Disease club.

My dad had gout and it started in his left big toe. He kept it under control with some sort of medicine. If he forgot to take it, he was not pleasant to be around.

Ed Ward

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sodium Diclofenac. A non steroid anti inflammatory, available for 4 bucks (prescription) at Wal-Mart.

Best thing going for me.

If I don't take at least one tab a day my ankle gets on fire. This drug has virtually no side effects on 95 percent of people, and some gastro effect on a few.

there are a lot of drugs out there, but I got this one from my former doctor (a Hindu) and I'm staying with it.

HM

4. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Concentrated black cherry juice. Available from GNC.

At the onset of an attack, take 2 table spoons every fifteen minutes until you have consumed 8 ozs. It will be gone in a couple of days

I get gout about every 3-4 years. I agree the pain is tremendous.

Dr. Honk

5. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

Gout is an accumulation of uric acid in the extremities of the body .

Get RXs for 300 mg allopurinol and some diuretic to flush the reactants out of your blood stream .

Essentially the same treatment as for kidney stones . Get on the regimen as quickly as you can or you might be looking at kidney stones too .

Charlie

6. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Dad and my brother have gout. I thought I was adopted until I started taking Niacin. Yeah, thought I was going to help my triglycerides with the Niacin. I should have known it can cause gout, so much for health food. There is an excellent product over the counter called "Go-out Plex" that has cherry extract, celery seed, Bromelain, and Tumeric; it worked well for me. I cannot take NSAID's like the guys above. DMSO topically is rumored to help, but I could never recommend it. Asprin can also increase the risk of developing gout. Good Luck. AJ

7. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

I have had gout for a least 12 plus years, taking after my Dad. You can help yourself a lot by figuring out which foods/drinks are your enemies. For me fatty meats [beef or pork], with bacon and sausage being the worst, any type of shellfish and beer really kick my gout in. But I have learned my limits and have got where I can eat these foods with minimum pain. My worst enemy was beer and I drank a lot of beer! I completely quit drinking regular beer and starting drinking non alcohol beer. This made all the difference. I also take 200 mg. allopurinol a day. I started and stayed on 100 mg until last year and doctor increase dosage after yearly check up and blood test. I tried cherry juice for 60 days and went back to allopurinol. Juice wasn't bad just pills a lot easier. What ever way you chose to combat your gout, the main thing is consistency. Take your medicine at roughly same time each day, drink lots of fluids and just try to figure out what triggers your gout. Good luck, Paul

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Shrimp is my trigger for Gout...I always take Allopurinol and have not had a single flare-up since being put on Celebrex for my RA

9. gotbass

gotbass Member

I have now taken Allopurinol for about 20 years and would not be with out it. No side effects and no flair-ups. Gout is heavily influenced by heredity. My doc says that while influenced by diet it is more about your ancestors.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Lots of good comments above.

Gout is caused by the crystallization of uric acid in the joints (like Gordon says). Purines are metabolized into uric acid (like Jimmy and Sandy said above). They are both correct.

Relieving the symptoms: Celery seed helps remove uric acid. Cherry juice has been proven to have an effect in reducing uric acid levels. DRINK LOTS OF WATER (dilutes the uric acid in your blood stream and helps the kidneys flush the uric acid from your system).

Don't overeat. Limit beef, pork, lamb, turkey, venison, liver (these meats are high sources of purines). And sorry to all you southern eaters, but gravy made from these meats are also on the no-no list. Reduce your intake of anchovies, sardines, caviar and roe sushi, herring, mussels, codfish, scallops, trout, and haddock. Reduce your use of oatmeal, dried beans, peas, lentils, spinach, asparagus, cauliflower, and mushrooms. Eliminate alcohol consumption, ESPECIALLY beer. Avoid eating purine-rich foods. Avoid stress (yes, that can trigger gout).

Read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) that comes in the box of your medicines (or ask the pharmacist for a copy with your perscriptions), since some medicines can trigger gout. Weigh the risks of discontinuing any meds with your doctor.

Rapid weight loss can also contribute to high uric acid levels in the blood stream. If you have family members who suffer from gout, don't take the chance on an extreme diet...lose it slowly instead. Genetically, your metabolism or kidneys may be the same as those family members'.

For SOME people - eating a diet high in fructose (a common type of sugar) can contribute to a buildup of uric acid in the bloodstream. Check the labels on the foods you buy for fructose (corn syrup is one of the items to avoid).

The things that I am suggesting that you avoid can trigger a gout attack if there is UNDERLYING problem such as the way your body makes or gets rid of extra uric acid, but they aren't the cause of gout. That is why they say that there is a genetic component to the occurence of gout. It has to do with your (and your blood relatives') metabolism and kidney function.

And finally, low fat dairy products have been associated with a reduced risk of developing gout. If you don't have gout yet, and you have a family history of it, low-fat plain yogurt is a good idea (as long as dairy products are not a high-risk food group to you).

DON'T SELF-TREAT WITHOUT SEEING A DOCTOR! Gout can be a sign of a kidney problem or another serious illness.

11. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Devi has got it right. I guess I better see a Doctor huh? AJ

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i don,t know about the rest of you but every time i have been the receipent of a gout attack i have had no symtoms when i go to bed, but wake up sometime in the night & i have it. in my case even a sheet laying on my big toe was almost unbearable. i take meds now & quit drinking beer 20 years ago. & like the rest of you,i have had very few things hurt me like a good case of gout will. i was also told that eating large amounts of twinkies after a gout attack will help your body absorb the uric acid in your system but i never tried this method. dwain

13. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Any of you guys that have suffered from gout, you now have a clue what the level of pain is for a lady in labor. Women who have had both gout and pregnancies confirm that the pain is a similar level.

Give your wives and moms a hug whenever you get a case of gout. At least SHE will feel better. :)

14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

My first and so far only gout attack was precipitated by my use of cholesterol lowering drugs. According to the Reumatologist those drugs can lower it too fast and that may cause those symptoms. Had it for a few months and it was ugly but I still drink beer and eat plenty of red meat!!

15. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

First attack about 30 years ago. Three or four things trigger one for me: too much beer, aspirin, and repetitive trauma (walking on uneven ground in bad shoes)...combine them and it is attack time.

I took 100 mg allopurinol for years, one per day, and now am taking one-half a tablet (fifty mg) daily intending to cut that back. Attack time=Indomethacin three times a day and if I'm quick enough to sense it, colchicine for a day at the outset (causes diarrhhea so watch out). Cherry juice seems to help.

There was a product available years back when I had my worst spell (1994) called "jogging in a jug" and I took a couple of tablespoons morning and evening. Seemed to help. It had cherry juice, grape juice and something else in it.

Well into my sixties I find that the attacks are fewer and further between..don't know if it is changing body chemistry or better habits. Don't care..just don't want to experience it again. Heredity, I feel, is the biggest factor in whether you get it or not.

Strangely, in my research on it, I found that women rarely get it until after menopause. A factoid that will have little impact on many of us.

16. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i forgot to mention that in days gone by gout was considered a "rich man,s disease." i can prove that theory wrong!!!!!!!!!!.. dwain

17. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Venison both Elk and Deer bring it on with me, 500mg Alopurinol a day during the winter, down to 300mg in the summer works for me...'course I don't partake in the beverages much any more either..Either Big Toe, and Left wrist are the killers for me....LarryB

18. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

Would extreme burning and itching on the tops of the feet be symptoms of gout? I used to get these symptoms only in the colder months, but now it's regular. I thought at first it was from wearing wool socks, but that ain't it. And yes, I wash my feet, before you ask.

19. dward

dward Member

I went to the doctor and got allopurinol too. But given the "acidic" cause I read about taking a couple tablespoons of baking soda and it worked for me. You can read about it on icuredmygout.org. I don't know if it will work for everyone but it seems to have worked for me.

20. Wingshotgod

Wingshotgod Member

Doctor put me on allopurinol 3 years ago, haven't had an attack since. Can eat anything I want with NO adverse reactions.