1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gout in elbow

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by KS-OKIE, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

OK,had bone spur and Bursa sack removed from my left elbow last Tues.Soft cast removed today(Thank God).Bone Dr said when they were doing the biopsy on the removed items they found gout.Doc said gout could return.Swell...just what I needed to hear.I thought gout was only found in your feet.So now I`m reading all the info I can about gout.Anyone else ever have it in your elbows ? I`m 58 years old and 2 months away from retirement so no more assembly line repeative movements issues.Had L 4-5 disc back surgery in April.I hope to hold together long enough to get the BIG cake...John..KS-OKIE.

2. Dustoff

Dustoff Member

Yes, I have a good friend that has gout in his elbow. When it flares up, it's terrible!

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Get on the proper meds, you will be gout free.

Prevention is much better than the cure, My father had gout for 20+ years. He was gout free for the last 10 years of his life.

Phil Berkowitz

4. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

Your falling apart John. Hope everything else works.

5. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I get gout occasionally in my right big toe. Have had it in my left also, and the knuckle of my right middle finger. I take Endomethicin. It is an anti-inflamatory medicine. It works great for me. One pill a day for 2-3 days,and I'm good to go. I took Allopurinal as a preventative medicine, but after a week, I started itching, had a rash etc., so I quit taking it. Wierd side effect. Hope that helps. Charlie Henderson

6. leadvail

leadvail Member

Know 2 guys that get a huge nodule on elbow. So far just my feet for me. I have medication to zap it for me. Bad stuff, horribile if you don't find a good doc and meds.

Bob

7. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Toes, ankles, knees, wrist and fingers for me so far. Suffered for years until I recently got on a medicine called Uloric. Lowered my Uric Acid level from 10 to 6.0 ... and I havent had an intense flare-up since. Dont suffer with it .... seek some medical help. It can only get worse.

8. rich A

rich A TS Member

I had exactly the same operation three years ago for a spur and Bursa sack, right arm. The same biopsy results. I have suffered for over forty years and they never found high enough uric acid readings for medication until after the operation. I had both feet and ankles swollen and they were deep purple. They shed skin like a bad sun burn after the swelling went down. I could hardly walk with a cane for over four months. I was put on allopurinal then uloric. That has gotten me back to more normal, but I still have flare-ups. Don't put off getting medication to limit joint damage. Dick

9. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

And realize too, that you will need to alter your diet some.

10. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

I had it not only in the feet, but got it in my knee as well. I now take a "Cherry " pill once a day & it seems to work. Wayne Downham / Camden, IN

11. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks a million everyone for the info and advice.I have a Dr. app for tomorrow am.Here I was so happy to get left elbow fixed only to have right flare up while still in the temp cast.Hey Shootlow you sound just like my wife ! She claims my jaw should have been a prime spot for gout.Frosty,I hope you & yours have a Merry Christmas and a jolly New Years...John

12. opa41

opa41 TS Member

Had the same problems for years.I was diagnosed last Year.The only thing that helped me is a complete change in my diet.No Beer very little meat no other alcohol no processed foods.I also lost 50 lbs in the process.Had no flare ups since the weight loss.I also take Allopurinol and Colcrys.Live is much better with out Pain.
    George

13. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Very under diagnosed disease, Medicare doesn't pay for the lab test to look for it. It can attack any joint in the body; my Dad had it in his back. AJ

14. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

If you guys google the word gout, you will find many recommended cures. But one that seems to ring through on every one of them is Cherry juice. I don't have gout, but I drink dark cherry juice every morning when I take my vitamins. It is VERY good for you and tends to make you regular as well. But I read that it will stop the gout from being disabling.

15. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

KS-OKIE/John.

Sorry to hear your health is not to good, Gary, Little John and the gang from "Downunder" wish you well and hope you are soon on the road to recovery.

As they say "ain't gettin old a bitch" 2 months to retirement, you will be able to practically live at KCTA and get some more targets under your belt.

Wishing you a great Christmas and New Year and a pain free 2012.

Not sure if we will visit this summer as my surgeon tells me I am in line for another new shoulder (I think he needs a new Ferrari).

Regards........"Release Trigger"

16. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Yep, I have gout too and I have done some research on it. It can be controlled by diet but there are those that just have to take medication for it. When I would get the attacks it would effect my big toe. In the medical field gout attacks are the most painful attacks to have.

When an attacks is occurring there is a medication call Colchicine which you take one 10 mg tablet every hour for up to 10 hours or until diarrhea occurs. Yes, that's right diarrhea. Colchicine has been around since Roman times and blocks the white blood cell from attacking the inflamed area caused by the crystallization of Uric acid in the joint area.

Gout effects the large toe primarily because the crystals collect due to gravity. If you ignore gout and do not treat it the uric acid crystals will collect and build up causing a loss in movement in the joint or pain. Once the crystals build up there is little to do to reduce the build up other than surgery. Studys have shown that getting your uric acid below 5.5 mg/dl can acutally removed the crystals from the joint.

As of now there are only two medications that reduce the uric acid in your blood stream. Those are Allopurinol and Uloric. Allopurinol assist the body with the removal of uric acid and Uloric aids the body in prevent over producing uric acid. Uloric is the newest medication to hit the market and has been show to have the least amount of side effects.

The production of uric acid is a result of too many purines. Contrary to popular believe it is NOT red meat, it IS meat organs along with other vegtables that you wouldn't think would be high in purines.

Bryan

17. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

I suffered from it back in my 40's and 50's. Would hit me in the ankles, had to crawl to the bathroom. Took prescription meds, avoid if possible. Started eating one cherry yogurt a day. No meds and no problem since. As we used to say in the crotch, I shit you not. gyrine