1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gout...dang it's painful

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by omgb, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

gout...dang it

I have gout, in both big toes and man, tonight it's really killing me. This is no fun at all.

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Yeah that's a pain that just really sucks! If you have never had it, then you just don't know . I feel your pain. Good luck. Knock on wood I haven't had an attack in almost 2 years after changing my diet and beer drinking habit! Rooferbob

3. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I get it occaisionally. It's mainly diet, rich foods. Booze might agitate it. But it is hereditary. I know two friends, that have never touched a drop of booze, they get it bad. I take ENDOCIN,, or endomethycin, and it clears it up. Got to have an RX for it. Happy New Year. Charlie

4. Mapper

Mapper Member

I get something like that in my trigger finger. Usually it's just a couple of day event.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Rich mans problem. Stay off the red meat and red wine, even grape juice. That may help.

6. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Had problems with it a few times. My wife keeps cherry juice in the fridge and I take 1000 mgs of vitamin c daily. No more problems. Switched from beer to bourbon also. Moderation is the key with the drinks when it comes to gout. The last attack came when I was having too many liverwurst sandwiches. Bill

7. CharlieAMA

I took that allopurinal for about a week, and it made me itch. Like the hives, and on my legs, below my knees. I quit taking it.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Like Slayers wife, I keep cherry juice in my fridge. When my gout starts to act up, I start drinking a couple of small glasses a day.

Usually goes away soon after that.

The cherry juice does it for me.

Hauxfan!

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

fyi she get's it at the local Meijer store, their own brand. Fresh not concentrate. She says the price is not bad. Bill

10. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

I got a case of it several years ago from eating the tamale from 5 lobsters. A nurse friend told me to take 1/4 of a horse aspirin, (she knew we had horses)Butizolidin with a quart of milk so the bute wouldn't eat a hole in my stomach. It worked.

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Walmart has a Black cherry cranberry juice and I mix it with stolis , no attacks in four years. Happy New Year. Jeff

12. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

About fifteen years ago had gout very bad in both big toes. Doctor gave me a shot for the short term and then a slow acting shot for the long term. Haven't had the gout since. Wish I knew what the two shots were so I could pass on the information. Unfortunately the doctor passed away.

13. 548

548 Guest

Had a friend who had it so bad last year he had to go to the hospital. They ended up cutting his knee open and "washing" out all of the gout crystals. (Apparently gout forms crystals of some kind) Friend said it is caused by diet. He drinks a lot of beer to though, apparently another common theme here.

14. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Yep, a rich man, and Eastern European disease. It's so prevalent this time of year because of all the shellfish that gets eaten, as well as the red meat. Runs in my family too, but we don't do any running when it hits!

Black Cherry juice works well for us, hadn't thought of the vodka mix but it's one I'll try, for sure. It's the Uric acid that builds up at restricting joints that causes the pain.

My grandfather and dad used to chew up a handful of Tums for several days to shorten the problem. Wheat and yeast products collect and store the acid, so cutting back, or completely out, the breads also helps.

Good luck with getting it under control, one of the most annoying and painful things on God's green earth.

Kip

15. CharlieAMA

Gout is the formation of uric acid crystals, usually in a weak joint, like ball of the big toe. You can get it anywhere. I've had it in my big toes, and my middle finger of my right hand. Before I get ripped on this, I'm no M.D., but that is the way my Doc has explained my deal. My vet is pretty good at diagnosing stuff. Cheaper too. Allopurinol is for daily control, but had side effects for me. Indomethycin (Endocin) relieves the swelling, therefore relieving the pain. My 2 cents. Charlie

16. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I have gout and it is painful. Haven't had an attack in a year and a half. On a daily basis I take Uloric which is fairly new. Over a months time I average
    60mg a day. Like Charlie, I also take Indomethycin. I take these just before bed as the Endocin can be very hard on the stomach. Ask your Doctor.
    By the way, my Mother and Grandmother both had arthritis.
    Mike C.

17. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

luckily i haven,t had an attack for years.how come {at least with me} you could go to bed with no gout symptoms & wake in the night with a full blown case of gout? dwain

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just getting over an attack as we speak. Painful SOB it is. Been taking Allopurinol since Oct. 1st. (doctor said my uric acid level was a bit high) and got the Gout anyway. One injection and plenty of Indomethacin and it's finally calming down. Haven't had a beer in over two weeks and if these white worms I see crawling up my arms finally go away life should be good again.

I feel everyone's pain!!

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

My last attack came from PEA SOUP. I love the stuff and OD. I have switched to onion soup now. And pretty much have eliminated red meats. Still chicken, but when I do eat red meat, no more than about 4 ounces. Gout snuck up on me in the first joint of my left pinky. Froze that sucker right up. I do take Indocin on occasion and am now on a cherry juice cocktail mixed with orange juice. Gawd, I loved my pea soup with smoked pork hocks. Bought some frozen Walleye, and perch, and Lake Superior Whitefish the other day. Those are easier on you than cod and tuna and salmon. I deep fry the perch, panfry the walleye, and tinfoil tent the whitefish. Still putting away a bottle of cabernet. MOre when I can sneak it. My feet are a bit "lumpy" form th scar tissue caused by the crystal shards. But am improving and expect to keep it at bay.

20. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Ollie that's too funny! Everyone should try the vitamin c cure. 1000 mg in the morning does it for me. Bill