1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

goulandi wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadspreader, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

anybody tried loading goulandi wads? they are supposed to be a good wad for the cheapy hulls such as top gun and challenger. tried loading a few 11/8 loads in a top gun hull with 17.5 grs. solo 1000 but the crimp mwouild not close without a BIG hole in it. wad was fully seated with about 10lbs wad pressure. the shotcup on these wads is about the same sizw as a win sl or 7/8 oz wad.think i will try to load some one ounce and see how that does.

2. oletymer

oletymer Member

With the choices from Federal, Down Range and Claybuster why would you bother with those wads.

3. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

just something different!

4. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Waaaaayyyy toooooo $$$$$$$$$$!!! I'm with oletymer on this one.....stick with Downrange XXL (orange) for 1 oz., or F3's for 1 1/8 oz loads in straight-walled hulls. HTH AndyH

5. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I'm with Andy44 on this one. I tried them for a while, even tried the Fiocchi and Cheddite hull route. They are to pricey and do nothing that a Federal type wad won't do.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

There are a few Gualandi wads that stand out. The Spark and the Rex are notable. None of these wads should be loaded in anything other than a straight walled hull, although you can just squeak by with a Federal Gold Medal hull.

The Rex is the single best 24g wad I've used in a Fiocchi hull. The Spark is also intended for 24g loads, but with 10mm basewad hulls. You can't get them any more, so use it for 1oz loads.

I tried them all, and I can say with confidence, you can do better for less using domestic components.

If you want to experiment with these wads, buy them on sale with free freight, like the special Ballistic Products is running now. If you get Fiocchi hulls for free, use the Rex for 7/8oz loads, the Spark for 1oz loads and the B&P Z2 series for 1 1/8oz loads.

You will find that you can duplicate their performance using STS hulls with Fed 12S0 wads for 24g/7/8oz, TGT-12 wad for 1oz and the Fig-8 wad for 1 1/8oz. Same applies using God Medal hulls and Federal wads.

The only standout is the Rex wad for 24g loads at faster than 1300fps. 1400fps with excellent patterns is well within the capability of this wad.

7. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I've used them when they were a buy. They worked well but are now too expensive (unless you know of a deal on them that you would like to share). bruce

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Graf's had them a few years ago for $49/5000. I don't know what happened that made them so expensive now but they are definitely not worth the money. A Claybuster 311812AR, also called a red figure 8 works good in the hull you describe.

JK

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We were using the Guilandi Wads for steel when recommend by Ballistic Products (MG42) shoving that puppy in an STS (imagine that). We've since gone danish...

Jay

10. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

goldex I agree with the red8 wad it is great also have had great experience using them in activ hulls

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The Gualandi wads work well with Fiocchi, Estate, and Top Gun hulls because these hulls have a rether large inside diameter. The oversized inside diameter is the result of the thin case wall used in these hulls. If you load a wad designed for a tapered hull (Remington or Winchester) in these hulls you will experience powder migration and sub-standard performance especially in cold weather.

I load the GU-1222 wad for 1 ounce, the GU-1225 wad for 7/8 ounce and the GU-1227 wad for 3/4 ounce. These wads are available from Graf & Sons. They are actually less expensive than a Federal wad - $6.00 vs $7.79 for the Federal 12SO. Federal wads are $144.00 per case of 5000 vs $110.00 for Gualandi.

My chronograph results indicate a 30 to 50 fps gain in velocity with Gualandi wads compared to Federal wads. This tellse that they seal better than Federal wads.

Jim Skeel

12. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Anyone have pictures? I see fired wads that have 4 legs and look like a chalice (hvy duty plastic, stitched petals), another one that has a long body with small cup volume(7/8 oz maybe) and looks like a honeycomb structure etc but I dont know what they are

tnks

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

here you go Bruce.

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Thank you Sir!

I guess the other was a Fiocchi; somehow I assumed they used Gualandi wads but maybe they don't. That Rex looks super (if it isn't super $)

best regards

15. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Fiocchi does use Gualandi wads in some of their loads. For 1 1/8oz they use either a B&P Z2 wad that they renamed, or copied. If you want a short shot string and stunning (tight) patterns, use the B&P Z2 series (in correct height for the load) for 1 and 1 1/8oz loads in Fiocchi hulls. You could spend years looking for something better and not find it.