1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotta bad new habit, Need help.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SpeedyWho, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

I learned to shoot with both eyes this year with very good success, I've been doing very well and wish I'd done this sooner. Anyway it seems that I've been anticipating targets and moving the barrel before I recognize the target flight path. Its uncommon for me I dont remember doing this nearly as much before. I think maybe its because I can see 'em faster now, and I'm just getting cocky trying to hit 'em close to the house. Would holding a lower gun help? So I'd be forced to see it leave the house, I hold just a little over the house now. I know its wrong and I cant believe I still do it. Whats the best way to break this B.S.

It also seems that most of the targets I miss lately, I shoot over them. I'm 60/40 about, so thats not very high. I shoot better at yardage than singles, I blow right over the top of them like I was moving too fast, which might got back to trying to hit 'em fast and close to the house. Like I said above. Any help would be nice.

Thanks MIKE

2. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Good luck. It is a common mistake seen most often.

I don't know how you can stop it, short of having someone stand behind you and wacking you up the side of the head when you move the gun before seeing the bird with some slow/delayed pulls.

3. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Mike, How long have you been shooting? It is not unusaul for new shooters to shoot better at yardage. I shot my first 25 at a registered handi cap.

If you know what you are doing wrong it should be easier to correct. It is not a contest to see who can shoot the target the fastest. Bill

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Have a friend with the same problem. I suggested that he close both eyes right before hollering pull, then open them. It enabled him to work out the problem, though occasionally he relapses and has to work at it again.

Robert

5. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Two exercises I use are:

1. have a friend pull for you but randomly delay releasing the birds

2. have the friend release the birds without you calling for them

It helps me--hope it helps you...

Doc

6. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Does it really matter. your brain will sort it out and you will break targets in spite of what other say you should do.

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

I struggled for a while with the same problem. My solution was to hold a higher gun in order to lessen the rapid movement required to catch up with the target and thereby stop the momentum of the upward swing of the gun. It worked for me but it might not be for everyone.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

gET A COPY OF DARO hANDYS dvd, IT CURED ME

9. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I try to focus on seeing the bird before thinking about shooting the bird. I hope that doesn't sound like double talk, but it helped with 2 issues I was having. First shooting too quick and secondly not anticipating where the bird was going to be. That my friends is what turned me into the extremely mediocre shooter I have become. LOL Hope it makes a little sense?

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

From the master (Phil Kiner) - See the target - shoot the target.

When you are getting read to call pull put the thought of 'look for the target' into your pee brain - nothing else. Make seeing the target you #1 priority. The gun will follow as irf it were on auto pilot. You don't need to think about that part really. Best part about all this is that it isn't slow or cumbersome - actually just the opposite very fast and smooth. Don't be afraid to actually say 'see the target' to yourself.

11. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Consistant dry firing with the Jordan chart has helped me work out these issues. Even though the targets are static it will really help with look at the target and then subconciously move the gun to the point of your intense concentration. Use of the chart is an excellent way to train yourself to keep the stock cheek weld solid. It really is good cheap practice. I dry fire, with intense concentration 50 times a day every day that I don't shoot. I really think it is the best practice aid available. Rich

12. warren

warren Member

Sounds to me like you are crossfiring that is your left eye is trying to take over. Phil Kiner has a lot of information on this I suggest you look into that. I've been crossfiring for years and couldn't figure out why I was missing when I thought I was on them. I attended a Kiner clinic and he spotted the problem in about a minute. I've been wearing an eyepatch on my left eye while watchtin tv and it make a big difference. Just my thoughts.

warren

13. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Go dig up Frank Hoppe's articles in Trap & Field about waiting until the bird clears your rib before you start moving your gun. June or July, I think. There are two of them.

From everything you said, you're trying to shoot too fast. I'm guessing you're trying to pick up the bird as soon as it leaves the house, hurrying your swing at a blur, and probably also pushing with your support hand, which causes you to shoot over the bird.

Hoppe will tell you that trying to chase a streaking bird tricks your mind into thinking the bird is moving much faster than it is and makes you jerk your swing at the bird. Just guessing, but you're probably also flinching from time to time, just because of the tension caused by attempting to jump on birds.

Focus on the center stake, hold your gun level, relax and call. Don't begin your move until the bird rises above your rib. Don't look for the bird leaving the house. You'll pick it up with peripheral vision since you're shooting two-eyed, but that just gives you the angle. Wait for the bird above your rib. You'll be amazed at how much slower it appears to move and how much easier it is to move directly to the bird and break it. You'll also realize that you can adopt a more relaxed mental state as you shoot.

Fast is slow. Slow is fast. I made this change earlier this year, and it's made a hell of a difference in my scores. Dig up Hoppe's articles.

14. Trapboy1957

Trapboy1957 TS Member

caveman syndrome..remember men are visual creatures. Jr

15. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Mike:

Of all the suggestions and advise, no one asked you these elementary questions.
    1) Are you a right hand or left hand shooter?
    2) what is your dominant eye?

If you are a right hand shooter and left eye dominant, and as you stated you are starting to shoot with both eyes open, therein lies the root problem. The first thing you need to do is "see" the bird. If I pull the tape off my left lense (dominant eye) and try shooting (right handed) I see all kinds of crazy things. Most importantly I shoot left of the bird for the left eye is taking over. If you are in fact a left eye dominant, right hand shooter, close your left eye or tape over the lense, hold the bead on the front edge of the house in a line from your position and soft focus above the bead about 2 feet up and 2 feet out. Hard focus on the bird when it exits and everything will be automatic. Good luck.

blade819

16. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Most shooters who shoot real fast wish they could shoot slower, as they would like their pattern to work for them. Most shooters would benefit if they shot as fast as they can, but still under control.

I was once on a squad with a young guy and his friends shooting league and one guy was shooting so fast that I could barely see the target. As we are all looking at the score sheet, his friends were in amazement how fast he shoots. He shot a score of 19, enough said.
    Steve Balistreri

17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Have a friend pull targets for you. When you call "pull", sometimes he releases a target and sometimes he doesn't. You will quickly see your problem and will be able to better resist the urge to move before you see it. This is a good exercise for every shooter and should be done from time to time.

Also, are you trying to "read the trap"? That can cause this problem as well. If so, look away when the shooter 2 stations before you shoots. That frequently solves the problem.

18. twotimer

twotimer Member

Mike, I have had the same issue from time to time. What birdogs said works for me. I'll look down when the shooter next to me shoots so I can't "read the trap." Take your time, let the pattern work for you. Mike

19. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

Thanks for all the Info, just to answer a few of the questions, I am right handed right eye dom, I shot for 2 years before learning to shoot with 2eyes open. Its a learning curve I've only got 3-4K rounds shooting two eyed. I see the bird crystal clear, I dont think I'm cross shooting targets. But that would explain a little why I smoke my Kills and biff my losses.

20. DeAdLy.90T

DeAdLy.90T Member

One thing I have learned with trap shooting is to keep it simple. The more you think, the more you miss. See the target, shoot the target... Pull Bang!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.