1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got the new P/W Patriot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Got in the new Patriot couple of days ago and just got it unboxed and set up on the bench.

Haven't reloaded a shell with it yet, as I want to get a counter mounted on it. Been working with the factory on the best way to accomplish this.

I have also mounted a vibrator motor on it, but am thinking that the way the new track and tray are mounted on a floating spring, it may be over-kill.

I need to build a different triggering mechanism as their new aluminum black anodized top unit is much more massive. I like the use of a charge bar versus the two plastic gears run by the rack gear. I also really like the rear linkage that drives the charge bar, as well as the bronze bushings in the vertical posts and wad carrier.

I will come back here an post pictures once I get my bench cleaned up some. I have tools everywhere from working until midnight last night making a counter bracket.

Whiz
    whizwhite_2008_020313.jpg

whizwhite_2008_020314.jpg

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Whiz...

Hos about a picture of how the primer tray is mounted to it's bracket?

MK

3. whiz white

OK, here you go...

The vibrator motor you see with the dngling power connector is NOT a part of the original Patriot. I am building a bracket to hold the control box for the vibrator assembly. It most likely will not need it, but I had one box left over after build 15 of these these past couple of weeks and decided to put it on my Patriot.

Whiz

whizwhite_2008_020315.jpg

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

whiz,

Thanks for the update.

Have they improved the pre-crimp setting. Loosening a set screw and wiggling the assembly up or down with no "reference" has always been maddening.

Are dies removable from every position? The 9:00 position on the old machines is blocked.

Did you get the power drive unit?

Don Verna

5. Unknown1

Thanks for posting the photo, Whiz!

MK

6. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

With all of the anticipation for this unit and you being a dealer.... Why not try the dang thing and report to people how it works before you go and modify it?? Just my .02, worth what you paid for it.

Paul

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Right...what kfbagt said.

I like the new loader...but...if the dealer is going to mod it before a single shell has been run through..................????????????????????

8. whiz white

Ya, right, do modify it! Get some fiber in your diets. What seems to be your problems?

There is no "modification," but if I chose to do so, I will. I am designing a plate in collaboration with the factory for the addition of a counter, and the possibility of a vibrator. I guess if that bothers you, then don't look. I don't seem to recognize either of your UID's, anyway and neither of your are customers of mine, so...

Furthermore, I paid for this reloader and I'll do whatever the heck I want with it. I happened to be one of the biggest dealers and after-market suppliers for P/W. Evidently, you've not been around here long.

DON: Regarding the dies, this machine uses the same crosshead as the 800 Plus, with the exception of the MODIFICATION to the crosshead with the introduction of bronze bushings in place of nyliners. Consequently, the die issue that you reference is the same.

It will be a few more days here at the shop before I reload a shell with it. I am awaiting a couple of items to get the hydraulic attached to this one, and I want to mount it on one of my steel plates. I have to think this will reload the same as the 800 Plus. I really like the top distribution housing. It is a lot like my Spolar with the charge bar, but a bit easier, in my opinion, to maneuver to remove bushings.

Speaking of Spolar, what a damn tradegy about Dicksie's accident. She's a great gal, and I wish her a speedy recovery.

Whiz

9. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Have they improved the pre-crimp setting. Loosening a set screw and wiggling the assembly up or down with no "reference" has always been maddening."</I></blockquote>I don't find much need to change the position of my crimp starter now that I use the smooth cone. But when I did, a reference was easy: a strip of aluminum foil HVAC tape around the shaft to mark the highest position. When it had to be dropped, spacers cut from sections of nylon bushings were stuck on top of the shaft with double-side tape to space it down to the right height before it was tightened.

MK

10. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Gez...whiz. Relax, no one said anything bad. We just wanted to hear your impressions of the new machine w/o mods first.

Mark

p.s. You have been here longer than me. I joined in 97 or 98. I did buy a 800 from you as well about the same time. No longer have it, thats why I am interested in the new loader.

11. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

Really... Bash me because I said you should at least try it before you modify it. I wasn't rude. You however were and so as far as being a customer of yours I will make sure that never happens

12. Unknown1

<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

13. dls guide

dls guide Member

Well guys, Jim is trying to keep you updated on the new loader. Be patient, no one else is reporting on the Patriot reloader are they. He knows what he is doing and give him some time to get things set up. As far as buying Ponsness Warren equipment, Jim is the only game in town. No one else provides the customer service that he does. Guess what, if you end up buying one of these machines elsewhere and have trouble, Who are you going to call first? Have a nice day. Daryl.

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Whiz: We have a group of people on this site that do not list their names, only hide and criticize. I know I have been subject to there incredible ignorance and rudeness, including wanting to know my income. So give them both barrels, reasoning with them is not posible. And frankly, as customers they would only be a pain in the ... Please keep us posted as to the modifications and how the new machine runs, including how it works with a hydraulic unit attached. Do it your way! Fred

15. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Whiz - why not do both? Test before and after your mods? That type of tesing is usually very informative.

16. kfbagt

kfbagt Member

regardless of the negativity..... that is exactly what I said. why not cycle a few shells first. let potential buyers know how it works before modding it.

paul

17. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Up for Whiz....

18. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Up for the new Patriot and Whiz.

I for one am anxious to hear about both his impression of the unit and enhancements he has cooking for it. On my old 800+ I put several "whiz" enhancements on it, and every single one of them improved the performance of the machine.

He posted the P/W factory video of basic operation and enhancements to the Patriot the factory did from the 800+, so if you need to see the Patriot stone cold stock, just check out the YouTube video.

19. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

My P/W 800+ I bought from Whiz was flawless.. right out the box.. I added a shell counter..and a vibrator for the primers..It was a useful addition.. but not really needed.. Whiz helped me so much with my 800C.. which I loaded on for quite some time.. If Whiz thought the press was bad.. he would not sell it.. The few dollars he makes on them is not worth having a bad name...His reputation is flawless...and it's always been a pleasure to speak to him.. Anyone..wanting to know the good.. the bad.. and the ugly about a P/W.. Whiz is the go to guy... All I can say..is "THANKS WHIZ'..for being there for us... All Good.. Mike

20. whiz white

Thanks guys.

Now, if I can just get off this keyboard, I fully planned to load several hundred rounds today by hand, rather than wait for the hydraulic link.

In talking with the factory when they shipped me the video CD, I noticed that the extended primer tray was included, so I said to Bruce they should include the counter as well. Bruce indicated they they planned to do so, but were working on a method to adapt it to the Patriot. That's when I got involved.

Thursday, Wayne, General Manager of the Machining Division, and I talked a couple of times over the phone on a good way to do it. I, of course, did over-kill with the machined spacer bracket. Wayne said yesterday he tried it with a couple of spacers, which are easier for them to do, and cheaper as well. It involves another CNC operation of dilling and tapping. We're still working on the spring link for the counter, as it works a bit differently.

Another item that is standard equipment on the Patriot is the Die Rod and Swab. I, personally, prefer the brush, and stopped down to First Stop Gun to see Mike and Mark Blote yesterday to pick up a 10 gauge brush. I have an ample supply of the 12 gauge brushes in stock, but I wanted a more aggressive brush. I'll put that on the machine in a few minutes and run it through its paces and report back.

Another item I really like are the aluminum plugs which cover the shot and powder bushing holes. These are massive enough that they don't require thumb screws to hold them in place. VERY easy to lift out when changing bushings.

The factory is now working on getting a manual printed up. This is one area that most folks don't realize the extreme amount of time and effort that goes into a new system. I've written some manuals for a couple of large corporation while living in St Louis. You need to play devil's advocate when putting these together, AND you can never anticipate EVERYTHING, so they are a work in progress. One thing you have access to is me when a problem arises. I can hopefully answer questions when/if they present themselves.

I haven't yet figured out the Index Pad Lock, but give me a few cranks of the handle reloading and I will have that done.

Again, thanks for the "Thanks." I spent too many years in educational administration biting my tongue dealing with "adults." Kids I could generally reason with, but parents were a different story. Now that that's behind me, I can get my trigger pulled once in a while - especially when accused of something, when if the narrative was read and understood, no comment would have been necessary.

I apologize for that, but at my age, I have decided to not put up with less-than-intelligent remarks... ya, I know, let it roll off the back. I am too much of a pragmatist to do that. If it ain't fun, I'm ain't doing it, and if it causes a problem, deal with it.

Whiz White

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.