1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got snowsnakes? You need a German Shepherd!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Neil Winston, Dec 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The recent return of "Old time Winters" to the upper tier of states has brought back a problem we'd almost forgotten about: snowsnakes. Reported bites are way up already this year and worse is predicted to follow. For those who have to go through deep snow, Minnesotans have found there's only one sure solution: the German Shepherd Dog.

Like the fabled sub-chasers on the North Atlantic Convoy Lanes, (1940-1945) the Shepherd (here exemplified by Kyra) ranges out in front, exposing herself to make safe those she is bred to protect.

[​IMG]

An instant, deadly-accurate course change...

[​IMG]

And she's got it! The subtle serpent has many guises - here it is trying to mimic a harmless stick, postponing its attack to achieve surprise.

[​IMG]

Kyra's not fooled! The threat is quickly neutralized as has been done by Shepherds through the generations, ever since her ancestors first made their compact with mankind eons ago.

[​IMG]

Even as winter blasts sweep the plains - you can get some idea of the velocity of the wind from the way it affects her tail - she heads out on another patrol.

[​IMG]

At sundown the danger fades and she returns to those she has defended to modestly acknowledge their gratitude.

[​IMG]

Merry Christmas,

Neil and Kyra

2. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

Merry Christmas Neil, love those shepherds..We have just one left, in addition to two Cavelier King Charles spaniels..Mizzou

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Kyra has also asked me to thank wireguy who saved this thread after she herself had carelessly misplaced it.

Neil

4. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Merry Christmas, Neil and Kyra

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Snowsnakes?

Why, the're a pestilence.

Kyra should be honored for her humanitarian work.

6. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Neil, as mentioned in a previous thread, besides snow snakes, there is also that lurking menace, the snow shark. Has Kyra had any contact with them?

Best, and thanks for sharing the pix.

Dennis

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Great pics Neil! My lab doesn't care for water much but she sure does like snow! Too bad we left North Dakota.

Jim Skeel

8. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Neil...I'll take her !!!...Please email home address and I'll pick her up asap........Uncle Sam, Pa.

9. pfofml

pfofml Member

Neil, earlier this fall I found evidence of snowsnakes in my backyard. I've asked around Madison Lake, but nobody else has encountered them this year. I would ask for the loan of your dog for snowsnake control, but they are feeding on squirrels. After they get all the tree rodents, perhaps they will start on the rabbits.

Some years ago, I had to free a hunting buddy of mine from a nest of those critters. It was a very dangerous task, but I learned much from that experience. From what I've learned, I feel confident to go into my snowsnake infested yard without fear of being attacked. Today, when I go near those snakes, I wear a small unit which keeps those Ophidia at bay. I am thinking about patenting my anti-snowsnake device.

Neil, I would not have been able to have perfected this machine had you not shared with me your snowsnake experiences. Because of my debt to you, I am willing to share with you the profits from this venture. Please contact me if you are interested in getting rich.

Peter Falk III

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Thanks Neil for brightening our Christmas! I was looking forward to seeing this old thread again! My father-in-law has warned us against the dreaded snowsnake - he had a lot of experience fighting them during his childhood in Minnesota. So far no sightings here in Idaho but I'm always ready to sick my Jack Russells on one; although they don't have the advanced E.A.R.S. technology like Kyra, they have the benefit of white camoflauge and are always waiting and ready to STRIKE!

Merry Christmas!

Jen & Steve

11. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Neil carry a snake bite kit, a flask of Crown Royal will get you back to safe ground.

Merry Christmas.

Terry.

12. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

t jordan

Whoa! Back the dog up!

What about Kyra. that snake bite kit should include a few Milk Bones, maybe even a piece of jerky to ward off the chill.

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas to Neil and Kyra who by those pictures you can tell she runs like a girl. You wanna know where the expression "Snow Snakes" comes from ?? Well it is the Fernie British Columbia Ski Resort where they have a special hill called 'Snake Ridge' and the snow snakes lurk under the deep powder and then leap up and zap you causing a spectacular Face Plant type of fall. They have German Shepherds and Labrador Retrievers as avalanche rescue dogs and a couple of years ago a now famous Labrador saved the life of an employee who was caught in an avalanche.

14. primed

primed Well-Known Member

You knew the ATA started offering pet memberships. "Now you know the rest of the story"

Bob

15. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Our Blitz von has been gone two years now, and I still think of that kraut every day. Thanks for the pictures of Kyra, reminds me of Blitz and his love of the snow.

~Michael

16. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

That is one cool dog!

17. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Neil,

It looks like you could use some of that Global Warming up there. I suggest that you leave your car running in the driveway all night and maybe gather up some old tires and start a large rubber fire in the back yard. If we all do our parts you northern shooters could do some shooting during these cold winters. No wonder Algore got the Nobel Piece Prize, he's done more then his fare share, flying around in those private jumbo jets to warm things up for you northerners.

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Slow day Neil?

19. Gun Run

Gun Run Member

Hi Neil:

Great pictures! What a dog! Reminds me of our White German Shepard, Sugar, a faithful companion of 14 years. Merry Christmas! Wayne Downham, Camden, IN

20. trap-pr

trap-pr Member

Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

Pam and Ron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.