1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got screwed by UPS!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

A couple of weeks ago, I finished a gun transaction with a fellow poster here on TS.com. I shipped the gun from my FFL to his FFL. The gun had been damaged in transit (broken stock). This gun was shipped via UPS and insured. Since the recipient didn't have all the original packaging (brown paper wrapping that had the shipping labels attached) UPS refused the claim. They stated that I couldn't prove that they shipped the package. This was the reason givin to me by the Customer Service Supervisor.

If you ship or recieve any packages via UPS, make sure that all the original packaging is their including any and all labels. They won't make good on their insurance otherwise.

The gun was packaged at my FFL in a Knight muzzleloader gun box and wrapped in brown paper so as not to advertise its contents. The gun was undamaged when put in the box, but damaged when opened at the recieving FFL in front of the customer.

Now I'm having the gun fixed out of my pocket because of something that UPS did. Just beware of any dealings with UPS. They don't allways honor the claims that have been submitted to them by customers. If you give them any reason to refuse a claim they will. You know, policy is policy!

ec90t

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

they always deny claims inmy experience

3. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

That's why it is a good idea to get pics of the gun when packaged and when opened!

4. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

You may want to check your household goods insurance policy, if you have one. Now I'm insured with USSA and they are very used to policy holders goods being in transit and cover this condition, but I don't think that they are unique in that regard. You may be covered there.

UPS sucks on claims.

5. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

UPS is not our friend. There are other options: USPS, FedX, etc.

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

You are the shipper and you have to file the claim.You have a tracking number and should also have record that you insured the gun on the original receipt.What does the box look like?If the stock is broken there should also be damage to the container.The brown paper you covered the box with has nothing to do with denying the claim.Although U.P.S. has for years tried to get people not to use the stuff.Talk with a customer service rep not a phone operator.If the box is damaged to prove the stock breakage they will pay your repair cost.

7. lightfoot

lightfoot TS Member

From what I've heard from others, UPS is the worst when it comes to insurance claims.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

BAD 303

I did file the claim, a couple of weeks ago. I then made a follow-up call with the recipient a couple of days ago and found out nothing had been done. I then made a call back to the claims/customer no service of UPS. When I inquired about the lack of anything being done, I was told that the claim had been denied. When I asked why the claim had been denied, they told me that all the original packing wasn't there (brown wrapping paper) and since the labels were attached to the paper that I couldn't prove that they shipped the package. When I offered to descibe the box to her, she said that I could have called the recipient ang got a desciption. She was basicaly calling me a liar/fraud and refused to hear any of it.

I watched the gun being boxed an it was insured at the purchase price.

ec90t

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Keep pushing them, UPS, and keep the claim alive.

As Gene said, they always deny claims initially, even when the damage is so apparent.

IMHO.

WW

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

UPS does suck as far as I'm concerned and agree with ec90t. I bought this shotgun and saw pictures of it and it was a dandy clean little gun. The FFL un-wrapped the brown paper cover and threw it away. I was in a hurry the day I picked up the gun and only looked at the left side and the bores. I didn't notice the cracked stock till I got home with it. Several guys at that FFL shop did see it was cracked and though maybe I bought it knowing it's condition.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The pictures I took imeadiatly and this one shows most of the stock.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

UPS was looking for an out and found one in that the brown paper wrap was thrown away! If I ever make another purchase and it's shipped thru UPS, the "brown wrapper" will be high on my priorty list!! Insured for about 4 times the guns worth too. Hap

11. incognito

incognito TS Member

It doesn't matter what you do, they ALWAYS find an out. If it hadn't been the brown paper, it would have been something else. I've had several claims with UPS and FEDEX, and have never collected a dime. FEDEX uses the same excuse every time; improper packaging, no matter how well it was packaged. UPS finds other reasons, but in the end the result is the same.... you are screwed every time.

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Seems odd to me that the box looks to be in perfect shape.I have used U.P.S. for 25 years and filed two claims that were both paid in full with no hassle.There are some scams out there.Try to locate a lost package or collect from the U.S.P.S. now that is humerous.

13. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

A friend of mine, Glen Head, shipped his Alfermann (packed in an Americase and wrapped in cardboard by the UPS shipping center) to the Wenig factory where it arrived with the stock broken in half!!!! He currently is waiting for a court date to try to settle the dispute.....merlyn....

14. Hap MecTweaks

BAD 303, what's not seen is these photos is the embedded styrofoam in the soft recoil pad which created the break. The box didn't have much damage as you see, it was dropped on the butt end, more than likely sliding off a higher stack or tossed creating a torquing action to cause the break to the receiver/grip area. I wouldn't expect a tank to run over it making damage to the outside more than obvious, rather it was mis-handled somewhere along the line. Hap

15. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Merlyn,

How did a gun break inside an Americase? I would think that someone may have opened it and dropped it and put it back together. Just wondering so I don't make the same mistake. Thanks

16. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

My company ships with ups every day.In the last 25 years and I can count on one hand the amount of problems I have had. Also when we have had a problem it was settled to our satisfaction. We package everything in a box without the brown paper wrapper. Look for damage to the box before opening, you will have a lot less problems. Also use bubble wrap inside the box. Bill

17. guncase

guncase TS Member

You gotta follow ALL the rules!! They must know that it is a gun that you are shipping. When you ship with U.P.S. they have very specific rules that are essential that you follow, miss one and you are out!

I can't believe that you were allowed to ship anything wrapped in BROWN PAPER. That is your first mistake! YOU should have known better! I use cardboard boxes and write the address on both sides of the box,with black marker and clear tape over it, when shipping a gun.

The only problem I ever had was when I sent 2 cases strapped together with 2" nylon strapping tape. Customer claimed that he reciever the old case that he sent me to copy, but the new one that I built for him wasn't there. His wife signed for the package so U.P.S. is off the hook. I KNOW that the guy stole the new case but I can't prove it, and ups has a signed ticket so I am out of luck, and $285.00 Paul

18. Hap MecTweaks

guncase, it was shipped from an FFL to my FFL in a Knight shipping box, covered with brown paper wrapping. All the rules WERE followed to the T., with the exception my FFL throwing away the "brown stuff" which created the UPS stink. In other words, their way out of a legit claim for their mis-handling the gun. Hap

19. ec90t

ec90t Guest

20. 1oz

1oz Member

USPS is no better .They lost 2 items in the last 6 months . Last item was a barrel . Was purchased with money order was sent with insurance been since 1st of April . Post Office even lost the claim paperwork . I will get the money but was it worth the hassel just glad i'm retired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.