1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got new suppressor - beautiful & damn quiet PIC

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by whiz white, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Just got my new suppressor from Lane LLC, right here in Rapid City. BATFE took almost 9 months to approve the application.

Corey built it to my specs so it works with both my AR M4 carbines; one is the typical 5.56 and the other is a 22LR. Having one for both applications really works better than I expected for the 22LR.

Corey has a video of himself with a Browning 22LR with and then without a suppressor. We shot my AR with an in-house one and that sole me. Then we shot a 308, and damn it was nearly perfectly silent... we, of course were using sub-sonic ammo. The 22LR stand HV ammo, gave a crack (speed of sound), but still darn quiet.

They call these "Scorpions." When I asked him how they arrived at the name, he said look at the innards of their proto-type, as they really do resemble a scorpion's body structure. Mine is all Titanium and easily comes apart for cleaning. All them, including the stainless models, disassemble for cleaning. Extremely nice stuff out there at Lane, about a mile or two from me.

I just got in some Cerakote in Magpul and Mil-Spec OD green and he will be applying that Monday.

Really impressed with his/their design, and he's a local SD educated engineer.

Whiz

2. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

So Whiz, what are you going to shoot with it? Scott

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nice. You'll have to post some pics when you get it home.

It's really nice to be able to hear normally while hunting, and not have to worry about hearing damage.

I went with separate suppressors for rimfire and centerfire. Was cautioned by a couple of suppressor manufacturers that shooting a lot of rimfire can cover the baffles with lead deposits. The higher gas temperatures of centerfire ammunition can melt this lead, and can be blown back into the action and particularly into the gas tube. Steady use of mixed rimfire and centerfire has wound up with lead deposits inside an AR15 bolt carrier.

That may be offset with suppressors that can be disassembled for cleaning, assuming you clean it before switching from rimfire to centerfire.

4. whiz white

Brian, you are so right.

I wished I'd done this years ago... even deer hunting. I have hearing loss from all these years of shooting. Although I use hearing protection in trap, I rarely use protection when out in the forest deer hunting or pheasant hunting.

What am I going to shoot with it? Anything I want. Racccoons, skunks, off on the deck, target shooting, coyote shooting, mountain lion on my deck, prairie dogs. You name it, if its a varmnit and I have that gun with me, that's what it'll be used for.

Brian: I'll post the pics Wednesday. Corey wants the Cerakote to setup for a day or two. He does not like the "H" coat, so I ordered in the "C" Cerakote. I have several bottle of the H (heated/baked), but he said the baked finish would/could see discolorization with the heat the suppressor can accumulate.

Whiz

5. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

I surely do envy you, Whiz. The liberal bedwetters here in Minnesota cannot get the rational behind suppressors through there mushy brains.

Kiv

6. whiz white

Kiv: What is the MN state's position on them?

Here's a bit of irony: I ship Perazzi and Ponsness/Warren parts to a couple of shooters in the UK. One gentlemen does some part-time predator control. He tells me it is more difficult there to purchase a gun, but rather simple to own a suppressor. I got the distinct feeling that anyone can simply go buy one, not having to jump through the hoops as we do here.

If you really think about it, and with all the complaints out there about guns, would it not be better to silence all guns so as not to bother others?

I am thinking that the minute someone says "silencer" or "suppressor" we picture in our minds SOP and crime underworld visions. Hell, I put up with more damn noise during the Harley Ralley here in August - now there's where suppressors should be mandatory!

The more I think about it, I'm thinking this country should not make it amy more difficult to buy a suppressor that to purchase a gun.

IMO.

WW

7. Brian in Oregon

Well, we've already seen one - how shall I delicately put it - idiot here proclaim suppressors to be tools of criminals and assassins based only upon his erroneous and prejudicial television and Hollywood provided knowledge. He even denies suppressors perform a legitimate hearing protection function, which is one of the original purposes of them and is one of the main reasons today. Ignorance reigns supreme with some people.

It's nice when a landowner inquires about your "quiet gun" and then asks if you can take care of the pests around the barn and even house, whereas firing off an unsuppressed gun there would be out of the question.

Suppressors also make for good neighbors. I can plink to my heart's content and not disturb the neighbors.

From a practical standpoint, they are nothing more than mufflers for guns, just like mufflers for cars. But because they are for firearms, people jump to some pretty erroneous conclusions that they never would for a car.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

In Ohio, we can't hunt with them. So a gun with a suppressor, can only be used for target shooting.

Whiz, let us know if it affects point of impact or groups.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Whiz is going to set on the porch and pick of Zombies, and it won't even wake his wife.

10. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Whiz,
    Until recently, suppressors were banned with no exceptions in Minnesota. I thought I'd do a quick Google search to verify that nothing had changed, only too discover that indeed something has!

"ST. PAUL, MN -- On April 18th, Governor Mark Dayton of Minnesota signed into law H.F. 1816, an amendment allowing Minnesota firearms dealers to legally possess suppressors for research and development, product demonstration and law enforcement sales.

With suppressor ownership previously restricted to museums and law enforcement, Minnesota takes a step towards joining the majority of states where full civilian suppressor ownership is allowed.

Nevertheless, the passage of this amendment makes all the difference for Minnesota-based JP Enterprises, which began the groundwork of H.F. 1816 in the fall of 2011 with the direct help of Representative Peggy Scott, whose bill was merged with that of Representative Mike Benson before being voted on in the Minnesota House of Representatives.

In recent years, JP Enterprises has devoted a great deal of attention and resources to their military and law enforcement division and seen tremendous growth in that area of the company."

I was really suprised to discover Governor Dayton's positive action on this, especially since he is a multimillionaire liberal that I've always considered to be a putz!

Who knows, maybe Minnesota (land of 10,000 liberal laws)will transcend to the realm of common sense!

Kiv

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Whiz,

A little known fact is that if you have a corporation (or LLC, etc.) THAT entity can buy the class three weapon. (please double check as to what qualifies)

With this there is no need to visit the local PD for approval from the chief. Just need to fill out a federal form designating the corporate assignee who will pick up the weapon when paperwork is done.

Mine took about three weeks from the time it was sent off to when I had it in hand...

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Pictures of it Whiz?

13. whiz white

HSLDS: Excellent info. I was out at Lane LLC today dropping off the Cerakote and will be back out there tomorrow.

Corey and I will discuss the LLC idea. He thanked me for talking about it here. Nice guy and we both used to be high school wrestlers too. One of the guys here on TS.COM emailed me to get one and I just a few minutes ago emailed him the PDF Form 1 to complete.

It's kind of a Catch 22 to conmplete FORM 1 because you have to list the suppressor's serial number, caliber, and length BEFORE you can own it. This then means that you pruchase it BEFORE you get approval and take ownership, and then upon approval. I made up my own serial number for the business and we used that in its manufacture.

In the case of the gentleman wanting one, we will then have to xfer the suppressor to a Class 3 in Ohio. Tomorrow Corey and I will do some ground work and phoning to find a Class 3 who won't charge an arm and a leg to do the xfer.

I'll get photos for you guys tomorrow afternoon on the M4 carbine 22LR and 5.56. I had it Cerakoted late this PM in Mil-Spec OD Green. Was going to do the Magpul Green or Desert Sand as I had that here, but Corey says everyone does D/S, so I wanted it different.

WW

14. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Form 1 is applaction to make, not own.

15. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Whiz - A good friend from Wales did a lot of varmint hunting over there, with everything from .22LR up to .270. Everything had moderators. They could shoot at night with lights or night vision optics, mostly for fox and rabbits. You need a permit to buy any firearm, and have to show a "need" for it, but when filling out the paperwork, you just put ".308 Winchester Model 70 - and moderator." If you get the permit, the moderator is automatically okayed. I don't think you can just go in in Britain and buy a moderator, if you want one, but I had a friend travelling on the continent who walked into a gun shop (in Holland, maybe?) and got one so he could pop the deer in his garden. He was a little nervous bringing it in through Customs, but they didn't even look at his luggage. I seem to recall that they were cheaper on the continent, as well.

16. Brian in Oregon

In several European countries a suppressor is considered good manners.

17. whiz white

Actually, I completed Form 1 to own a suppressor because I was intending to build my own. So, technically I am correct, AND the BATFE accepted my suppressor stamp on the top RH corner of Form 1.

In doing this I could make my own, or supervise someone making one for me. I did the latter.

18. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I have a Gemtech suppressor in 223 caliber and love it.

19. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

Whiz, you are wrong! A form 1 is "Application to make and register a firearm" The word "own" dose not appear on the form.

20. Brian in Oregon

Psycho, quote: <i>"Whiz, you are wrong! A form 1 is "Application to make and register a firearm" The word "own" dose not appear on the form."</i>

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf

I invite you to read, at the link, on page 4 under Section 3, the following sentence: <i>"The approval of the application effectuates registration of the firearm to the maker."</i>

The word "own" is not needed because this form approves the applicant to manufacture the National Firearms Act firearm (in this case a "silencer") and at the same time registers it to the person manufacturing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cerakote on suppressors
has anyone used a lane rifle silencer
lane silencer review
lane silencers review
lane suppressor

lane suppressor review

lane suppressors

lane suppressors junk