1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got my release

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JBrooks, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Take a snap cap and stand with a friend while he shoots a round or 2 tracking and dry firing on the targets. It will really help to get the mechanics down of mounting and setting the trigger. Get in the habit of setting the trigger only after the gun is mounted and you have focused down range. Practice opening the gun and unsetting the trigger. The guys who paint the trap houses and replace the voice call wires will appreciate your good mechanics.

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Yes, and attajohn is correct. It won't take long for you to develop a smooth movement dis-arming the trigger. Keep a firm grip on the pistol grip and the trigger and the muzzle above the trap house. The hammer may release un-intentionally with the bolt un-locked, but the gun will not fire because the connector will block the hammer fall from the firing pin.

Buz

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What club are you shooting at?

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Phil,
    Here's the 391/release procedure: (1) If you need to reset the trigger, but you don't need to clear the shell, keep you trigger finger firmly on the trigger, reach around with your left hand and pull the bolt handle back only far enough to extract the shell about 3/4 of the way out of the chamber. Do not pull the shell all the way out of the chamber, as it may stovepipe or flip 180 degrees in the chamber. Then you have your hands full. The bolt will not stay open if the hammer is cocked so you have to hold it open. While the bolt is still back, release the trigger - then release the bolt handle and allow the bolt to rechamber the shell. Be sure to release the trigger first, before you allow the bolt to close.

(2) If you need to reset the trigger AND clear the shell, keep your trigger finger firmly on the trigger, reach under the receiver with your left hand and press the carrier release button, which will allow the bolt to stay open. Reach around and pull the bolt all the way back. It will stay open, and you can then release the trigger and remove the shell - or pick it up off the ground.

Pushing the cut-off device on the left side of the receiver will also allow the bolt to stay open, but that's nearly impossible to do while you're shooting, so don't even try.

Again, if the trigger is set, concentrate on always keeping a firm pressure on the trigger, no matter what. I can't emphasize this enough. It is very easy to lose concentration and ease up a little while you're trying to pull the bolt back. The result will be an accidental discharge. Don't ask me how I know.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

When I first got my release put in, I was afraid that I would accidently release the trigger if I didn't fire and had to break open the gun. If a broken bird came out of the house or something, I would keep my gun up and call again (and sometimes again).

Then I decided to practice using a snap cap. After 10 minutes of practice, it became second-nature.

Practice with a snap cap for your particular gun. It will help you gain confidence in your ability to unset the trigger, as recommended previously in this thread by others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.