1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got My Downrange gift today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Terry Eyster, Jan 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry Eyster

Terry Eyster Member

Got My Downrange Christmas giveaway wads today, Thanks to Kevin and all at downrange,
    Terry Eyster

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Got mine about a week ago.But my garage has been too clod to load shells. Adn not looking any better for about a month. It stays about 20 degrees warmer than outside. I do have a heat duct, but the general garage insulation is poor. I might glue Styrofoam panels on the garage door this summer. That would make a big difference. Anxious to pattern the new loads tho. I'll get to it. Thanks Kev.

Jack Swanson, Prescott, WISCONSIN

3. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Woo Hoo, lucky me! Just got a note from Keven at Downrange Mfg. that I was selected to receive his Christmas Gift of Lab testing my reloads. I've selected 7 from a mid-run of my Handicap Nitro27 hulls/Rem primers/20Gr American Select//Spolar Gold wads/1 1/8oz of 7 1/2oz of West Coast Mag shot. They chrono at 1,235fps, and it's gonna be interesting to see what Keven's lab shows, especially, pressure. Thanks, Keven

Best, mike

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hey! Hey! just got my selection of Downrange Wads from Kevin!

Can hardly wait to try them out!

Jim Chapman

Hell, (frozen over) Michigan

5. Border Bandit

Jim, I really like that Fig 8/Windjammer combination. They loaded and shot very well. I had a box of them & a box of Dixsie's shot back to back & couldn't tell the difference. When the 10,000 spolars are gone, Keven's new wad will be my go-to 1 1/8oz'er. I'll have to tell the guys at CAC about them.

best...mike

6. TjayE

TjayE Member

Border Bandit, do you like the American Select powder better than Green Dot for your Handicap reloads? At this time I am using Green Dot for my HDCP loads. Thanks, Tom

Mike, are you in OH or PA (enjoying the snow we got overnight)?

7. Border Bandit

The report from the shells I submitted to Downrange as a winner in the Christmas contest came yesterday; with a big surprise, actually two. After reviewing the results, I emailed Keven to discuss the results and had a question or two for him. No sooner had I hit the "send" button, the phone was ringing, in less than a minute...suprise #1 ..it was Keven, and we talked about the results. Needless to say, Downrange's customer service is astonishingly good, and this wasn't the first time.

Results: and the surprising conclusion. It was a regular loading session where I loaded a flat of Nitro Gold with Rem primers, 20gr of American Select, Spolar Gold Windjammer style 1 1/8oz wads on a P/W 800+ with electric drive. I didn't individually weigh the components; but picked out 7 shells, sorted according to weight, all exactly the same on my PACT powder scale. Even though the curves looked much the same, the pressure difference was 10,050 to 7,680, and velocity 1,261 to 1,197 comparing the same Highest to Lowest shells. To me, that seems like a lot. So, what was the difference? The big surprise, CRIMP DEPTH! Downrange suggests a crimp depth of 0.055, and my lowest was 0.032 = 7,680 psi and 0.044 = 10,000 psi the difference being 64fps.

The amusing part of this exercise is that I load differently for singles and Handicap. 19.2gr for singles and 20.0gr for handicap. I'm betting the standard deviation in velocity, the way I WAS loading them, puts the two loads within the same range. It seems, the take home lesson from this test is to pay attention to crimp depth, to achieve best consistency, all else being equal.

Again, many thanks to Keven Lewis and Downrange Manufacturing for being such great friends to the trap shooting community.

Your thoughts, please.... best....mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.