1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got my 687 combo today!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DecalDude, Sep 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Well I picked it up today,not NIB but nice shape! I went to the club ASAP. I am not used to shooting an unsingle or a gun with a recoil system, this gun is both.

It felt a lil long in LOP but it is adjustable, I found holding higher gun brought better results. first round was 20 second was 23. I adjusted the length to a more comfortable hold.

It shoots so much different then the BT or XT I have been shooting. I was impressed with how it seemed to crush targets rather then the breaks I was haveing.

I have had 3 Brownings 2 of which I have parted with and the XT I kept, what a difference in an unsingle and Graco system make!!! Looking forward to league Tuesday night.

Jerry Lewis

BTW how long has Beretta been putting the adj. trigger on mine doesnt have it 1 less thing to worry about but was wondering how to find out the age of the gun, it is a Joel Etchen gun.

Thanks Again!!

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

That may have been one of the JE specials that had the adj trigger like the 682 Gold E. Pics would be nice.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The 687 receiver Joel Etchen uses in his hybrid combos (687 receiver and 682 Gold barrels) does not come with the adjustable trigger. That would come with the standard 682 Gold E model by Beretta. However, if you want the 682 adjustable trigger, you can buy one from Joel Etchen (cost I think is about 95.00) and it will fit the 687 just fine, since the 687 receiver is internally the same as the 682, just different externally in the engraving, decorations, etc.

Congrats on the Etchen hybrid combo by the way. I bought one from Joel at the Grand American in 2007 and it has proven to be the best shooting trap gun I have ever used. Really a target crusher. I did replace the standard Beretta choke tubes with Briley extended tubes, which in my opinion, work even better than the Beretta chokes.

Jim R

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Don't waste your time with the adjustable trigger unless you need it. Now, if you have a smaller hand, it is almost mandatory. I think Joel sells them for $100.

After shooting your new to you Beretta, That XT kinda feels like a club doesn't it.

ss

5. rsikole

rsikole Member

Jerry,

What kind of recoil reduction system does your gun have?

I just bought a new 687 EELL and the unsingle seems to boot me around quite a bit.

Thanks,

Rob

6. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

HAs the Gracoil with adjustable length of pull. It didnt beat me up or anything but WOW with some tweaking I am sure it will be truely a great shooter.

As to the feel between the XT to the 687 well its like going from a BT99 to the XT. May just get hooked on this gun shortly.

Jerry Lewis

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jerry---Congrats on getting your new gun. You will find you like it more and more as you go along, i did. I shoot a Beretta 682 Gold E(same basic model) after being a Browning person also. I'm with you in i can't believe the difference in how it crushes targets right out of the box. It seems to be alot tighter patterning gun period. I had Greg Hissem install a Rad II on mine for both recoil and fit. I love the way mine feels and shoots now.----Matt

8. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My wife has a Joel Etchen 687 trap combo with a unsingle. She soots it well and to make it fit her. I put on a PFS. I didn't want to cut the nice EELL wood. The PFS turn out to be the best thing I have have done to a gun.
    The gun fits, low recoil and if I did sell the gun. I could just put the wood stock back on and it will look like new again.
    Good luck with your Beretta.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Jerry---Congrats on getting your new gun. You will find you like it more and more as you go along, i did. I shoot a Beretta 682 Gold E(same basic model) after being a Browning person also. I'm with you in i can't believe the difference in how it crushes targets right out of the box. It seems to be alot tighter patterning gun period. I had Greg Hissem install a Rad II on mine for both recoil and fit. I love the way mine feels and shoots now.----Matt

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

My wife has a Joel Etchen 687 trap combo with a unsingle. She soots it well and to make it fit her. I put on a PFS. I didn't want to cut the nice EELL wood. The PFS turn out to be the best thing I have have done to a gun.
    The gun fits, low recoil and if I did sell the gun. I could just put the wood stock back on and it will look like new again.
    Good luck with your Beretta.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I think you've discovered one of the best-kept secrets in trapshooting. I bought a top single combo from Joel for our son in 2005 and was so impressed with it in terms of recoil, general "feel" and appearance that I bought an unsingle combo for myself in 2008 after shooting Krieghoffs for almost 20 years.

Joel's 687 hybrids have to be the best bang-for-the-buck trap gun out there.

Ed

12. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Got to shoot it tonight 21 on 16yrd line and 20 from 23yrd then a round of practice 23 SO if I can do 23 the other 2 will come with a lil mor practice.

There is some getting used to the feel of the gracoil system.

Jerry Lewis

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had one of those Gracoil systems on a gun and found it actually seemed to soak up more recoil and just felt "better" when the spring tension was adjusted toward the stiff side. Set it too soft and it can bottom out, giving you a "double bump."

Ed

14. treefrog

treefrog TS Member

I just bought a used one as well, it's been raining hard so I will not be out with it until Sunday. But I need to ask, did you start out shooting w/ the over/under barrels or the un single? Have you used both yet, and what did you think?

15. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I have only shot this gun with the unsingle so far and it got broken in for rain Thursday night. I had only tried a 682 unsingle at the Pa state shoot(compliments of the Berreta trailer) and shot 23 with it.

This gun I have shot 6 rounds 3 of singles and 3 handicap from 22&23yrd line and I am only a 20yrd shooter now, Best score yet with it is 24 from sinles and 21 from the 23yrd. I havent tweeked any adjustments as of yet butwill be putting on paper Saturday afternoon. Finding the right adjustment for the gracoil and pad will take some messing around butI am extremely pleased so far.

Will try to get up some pics if I canget the camera to funtion.

Jerry Lewis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.