1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got Gold ??????

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ntgr8, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Anybody buying gold?? Do you think its a good investment? What is the overage to buy, whats the take to sell? When you buy gold do you get it or do you get a piece of paper that says you own gold? If I buy it I want it where I can touch it. Any advice on a good company to by from??

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

If you want to buy gold through your retirement plan, it needs to be "bullion" not collectable coins - e.g. American Gold Eagles are acceptable, 1800s and early 1900s gold coins are not...

regards all,

Jay

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

It is still at historic highs, will it go higher? Monex or Kitco works, sometimes I get a better deal from private sellers thst need to liquidate.

If I only had a set of crystal balls!

Hey Jay, how's the 90T working out? Hope you run them all and I never miss.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Personally, I like investing in the Oil Futures, much easier to liquidate if need be.

Curt

5. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

If the SHTF gold will not be negotiable for day to day things you need. Ammo, toilet paper, dried beans will. Silver might. On the other hand...according to all the ads on the radio, gold is an outstanding investment and has never been worth zero!

Jed

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Perth Mint is a good place if you want to own bullion. Some places charge storage fees which eat away at your investment.

HM

It ghas to be in a bonded warehouse to be genuine, or els it is subject to assay to determin=e the carat value.

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

My advice, for what its worth would be pre 1965 US silver coins in any denomination. As Jed mentioned, gold will be very hard to use in trade. On the other hand, a silver dime, quarter or half dollar might get you some beans, corn or gasoline. You can invest in silver on a large or small scale basis such as five or ten dollars at a time. An ounce of gold every month or so will cost you big money. Larry Evans

8. spitter

Not having a militia attitude, but just an investment mindset, I try to buy gold coins in AU or better condition for their spot price of gold...

Quarter Eagle - $2.50, 1/8 oz
    Half Eagle - $5, 1/4 oz
    Eagle $10, 1/2 oz

the collectable value of the coins is incidental...

So right now, on occasion if I can find a $10 Liberty or Indian at $550 or less, I'll buy... for the gold content the $10 seems the best chance at this time... When prices top out, I'll sell...

On the way down, I buy more based upon my strategy... someone's always selling... and Gold will always go up and down...

regards,

jay

9. Lobo

Lobo TS Member

Buy a $1000 bag of silver first. Quarters or halves,not dimes. Buy right around 70% of spot silver price per $1 face. Buy on downswings in the market.double hit on silver. Metal hoard or industrial is economy starts back. Platinum still is a little underpriced in relation to gold. US buffalos, Canadian maple leaves, Philharmonics are all 1 0z. .999 fine. US Eagles and Krugerands are lesser %. Junk jewelry at 15% under spot is a good investment. Costs about 10% to refine.Ran a pawnshop for years so have some hoard.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like bullion bars better than junk silver. An ounce of gold is an ounce of gold. Premiums over spot are easy to pay but hard to collect.

I don't look to gold or silver as a hedge against SHTF, just another investment.

I invest in lead for SHTF.

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

And what is SHTF?

12. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

That's when the feces impacts the rotary air distribution device.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. Get-er-done. Break-em all. Jeff

14. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Junk jewelry at 15% under spot is Not a good investment if using total weight. 14K is only .585 pure gold and the rest is alloys. You have to do the math. Ex designer craftsman for 5 years. You can buy the gold at a gold and silver exchange. They charged me 15% each way when I was doing it. Ray

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

In comparison to the current Gold Rush, I believe Lead would have shown a greater return.......just would not be as fashionable, but profitable nonetheless.

Gold is an ego trip for those that have plenty already......worthless for the normal guy. I have yet to meet anyone, unless he's a jeweler, that retired off his gold.

If buying gold gives you a warm & wet feeling, be my guest......One things for sure, keep it long enough and it will become worthless to you.

16. rlcammer

rlcammer TS Member

Try bulliondirect.com

I buy a little there occasionally. You can take delivery immediately or they will store it until you want it. Shipping is better if you have several items.

They have about the best price/shipping cost for gold. Easy to deal with.

Ric C.

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

That's what many people told me when I bought at $250 all the way to $600.

From previous post I detect you dislike the shiny yellow stuff?

18. spitter

The ticket is to buy then sell... not get sentimental with your investments... can't take it with you.

Perfect timing is imperfect - take a reasonable return... if you're a porker, you'll get slaughtered - old joke, but true!

regards all,

Jay

19. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Try the exhange traded fund GLD. All backed by metal in vault. NO hassle. If the economy goes in the crapper, all I want is my guns and ammo anyway.

Bob

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Shannon391.

Not really it's speculators that I dislike....metals are benign.

I have little respect, nor sympathy for those that speculate......nor did John Adams. The only way a speculator wins is for someone to lose....Sugar coated gambling..pure and simple.

There are many ways to earn your money or a living, that will out yield gold.....but then that requires getting off one's ass, and doing something......and not betting against a healthy economy.

BTW....What have you Speculators done for the economy lately?????? We have just lost another 23% of our remaining manufacturing capacity since 1 Jan 2010

Ketchup or mustard??

Be Nice.....%~)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.