1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got crab?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by MDMike, May 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Ahhhhh, a breaded soft crab.....

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I had one of those soft crabs when I was at the MD state shoot, they are not like real crabs, like king crab....

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    We finally have a restaurant here that serves deep fried Maryland blue softshell crab. Pretty good, but I still prefer our sweet, succulent, delicious Oregon Dungeness Crab.

4. ctreay

ctreay Member

When I was stationed at Bainbridge MD there used to be crab feasts at the VFW. Sure do miss them.

ctreay

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Obrecki's on Pratt Steet in Baltimore serves great Maryland crabs with Old Bay style seasoning and home brewed beer. My wife and I NEVER pass Baltimoe in either direction without stoping. There are a lot of other places we love like Tilgnman Island or St, Michael's on the Easern Shore where the crabs are also great. My wife also likes sauteed soft shells which I can't get in to. Personally, I like crab much more than lobster.

Never tried a Dungeness Crab althougnh I see them in tanks in local supermarkets (NJ). I guess you eat them the same way as you eat a blue claw.

6. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

The BEST soft shelled crab i ever had was at the Mile Bridge resturant in Tilghman Md, wish it were closer emm makes my mouth water. Joe

7. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

When I was a kid, the water at low tide on the Hampton side of the Roads was about 4" deep for several hundred yards out off the shore. The locals called it the salt flats. There was plenty of eel grass which was the natural home of the Chesapeake Bay Blue Claw Crab. As a Blue Claw Crab grows, it has to molt and it is at that time when it is not protected by its hard shell that it is most vulnerable to larger prey. The molting crab will burrow in the sand just enough so its eyes protrude. For obvious reasons they are very difficult to see. My grandfather, who was a waterman, taught us how to walk the flats and harvest an evening meal's worth of "soft shells." He'd wave his magic hands over the frying pan and in a while we'd be eating some of the best food on God's earth. Crabs from around the world are wondeful in their own way, but there is nothing that will ever compare to a properly prepared softshell.

8. DelarockX

DelarockX TS Member

From what I've heard, Obrycki's on E Pratt St closed. I was genuinely heartbroken. I haven't been there in two years, but I consider Baltimore a home away from home. I think the owners may have another spot. I've also heard that the Phillips Seafood in the Inner Harbor expanded. I should take a trip down there.
    [​IMG]

9. Brian in Oregon

Sportshot, quote: <i>"It looks like something the Chinese people sell at those sidewalk stands in Beijing on a roasting stick. .... fried spider, pickeled shark fin, minced monkey meat."</i>

One of my BiL's got totally hammered in China and had an order of stir fried tarantula.

I don't think I could get that drunk. I'd probably die from alcohol poisoning first.

10. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

O.K. here's another dumb question from a michigan hick. Why bread and deep fry a shell? Are the shells that soft that you can eat shell and all? Just askin'....Bill

11. ctreay

ctreay Member

slayer, See WS-1's thread above, he axplains it pretty well.

ctreay

12. Brian in Oregon

Yes, very soft shells. Not crunchy at all.

Went to dinner last night with the wife and tried a restaurant we hadn't been to before. Ordered a Crab Louie. Excellent. Very fresh Dungeness crab, mounds of it, and a lot of big pieces too, not just pickings. It was close to the equivalent of a whole crab.

13. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Obrecky's is CLOSED? If so it is the end of an era and a deicious one at that. See what happens when you turn your back - even for a moment. Well there are plenty of good crab places on the eastern shore. Just have to drive a little farther.

14. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

This is one right up my alley!

Picture this 25 WV coal miners and a gang from Maine @ the Narrows Restraunt ,Kents Island MD.1980 or so.Just before New Years goose hunting

15 platers of oysters ran out of beer but not the crab cakes WOW!

On the way home our duty driver, and hes not doing well,we get stopped by a statey , our driver opens window & asks the statey if he could see him?

We are still in camo, the policeman says yes, our man puts on his cammo hat and says can you see me now.?

Policeman laughs like hell luckily 1 non drinker in the back now takes the driving duty, off we go.you had to be there
    Craby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.