1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got a question on 12 ga. slugs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Would firing a slug through a regular shotgun damage it? Like the new Hornaday SST slug? Just wondering. Jim

2. scorpman

scorpman Member

should be fine as long as there is no choke in it - or use a special rifled choke. It might not be as accurate as in a rifled barrel since they are sabot style slugs. I use the 12GA SST slug in a fully rifled barrel 1187 and get great groups. My wife uses the 20GA SST's in a fully rifled barrel 870 also with great grouping.

3. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Scorp, would the choke advice apply to a fixed choked gun also? Jim

4. rd

rd TS Member

I have read that it is ok to fire slugs through a fixed choke gun, but they are most accurate through an improved cylinder, skeet, or cylinder choke.

5. below 0

below 0 TS Member

A saboted slug is made to shoot thru a rifled barrel. A Foster style slug is what you want to use in a smooth barreled shotgun. Odie

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Not worth the extra 10 bucks per box of 5. I would stick to the foster type slugs.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

maddog, I've read that same thing for a lot of years concerning foster type slugs and smoothbore chokes. I don't know how many cyl to full choked guns I've used for deer hunting but it's many. I've found the modified choke throws the best group with Foster slugs in most shotguns I've owned.

I've tried the sabots with rifled choke tubes also but wasn't satisfied with the accuracy of those either. Both the short rifled tube and sabots were a waste of time and money for me. The most accurate I've ever owned was an H&R fully rifled barrel single shot using the sabots and a Redfield widefield scope!! Only trouble with using that combo was it killed outa one end and crippled on the other!!

Hap

Forgot, don't use the Rem. copper solids in a choked barrel, they will spread the choke diameter!!

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    "Rifled" slugs, like the Foster, are not designed to self-spin in a smoothbore. The "rifling" is actually intended to swage down when passing through a choke. These type of slugs can safely be fired in a full choke.

Myself, I'm getting consistent 3" groups at 100 yards with 2-3/4" Remington Sluggers in my 1187 with a modified choke. With an IC shock, the groups open up to about 5" to 6". These kind of slugs apparently prefer some degree of choke.

9. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I thought the sluggers were slightly larger in diameter than the other types of faster slugs and you were only supposed to use IC?

10. Brian in Oregon

Remington Sluggers are indeed a bit larger in diameter than most other makes of Foster slugs. This is to provide better gas sealing in the bore, and prevent wobble in the bore. They are still safe to shoot in modified and full chokes, and do their best with tighter chokes in many guns.

11. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Kinda looking for 'first hand' knowledge on this topic. Appreciate all info though. But I'd like to hear from those that have actually used the different slugs. Jim

12. Brian in Oregon

I can tell you that the Remington Copper Plus slugs would not stabilize in my smoothbore barrel with a Remington rifled choke tube. The plastic sabot was stripping across the rifling, meaning it was not turning. This caused it the slugs to all keyhole at 100 yards. Groups size was about 5" though, which was a lot tighter than I'd expect keyholing slugs to make. Remington specifically says on the slug box that these slugs can be used with rifled choke tubes, but obviously not their rifled choke tube. I suspect the rifling is far too shallow. I have not tried an aftermarket rifled choke tube.

My purpose here was to extend the range and hopefully decrease the group size for coyote hunting during deer and elk season when using centerfire rifles is prohibited without big game tags. Remington at one time made a camo rifle sighted fully rifled barrel, but alas, I did not get one before they were discontinued.

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Can ths sabot slug be used with an older slug barrel with out rifling?

14. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I would like to see that 3 inch group with a smootbore at 100 yards- but I know Federal does claim its possible and I guess if any slug was going to do it- it would be theirs- I just want to be on the range when someone actually does this

regards from Iowa

Gene

15. Brian in Oregon

<i>"Can ths sabot slug be used with an older slug barrel with out rifling?"</i>

Not with a smooothbore choke. The choke needs to be rifled. And even then that is no guarantee the sabot slug will stabilize. The rifling was too shallow in mine to get a good grip on the plastic, and the sabot simply stripped over it.

<i>"I would like to see that 3 inch group with a smootbore at 100 yards- but I know Federal does claim its possible and I guess if any slug was going to do it- it would be theirs- I just want to be on the range when someone actually does this "</i>

View attachment 249913

I have no range photos, but I shot this coyote with two slugs while he was running crossways to me, full speed, at about 20 yards. Yes, that's far less than 100 yards, but look at how small the spread is, especially in the vertical plane. Those slugs are exactly where I was trying to put them. An inaccurate slug is not going to do that.

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The barrel I have is a fixed sight Remmington slug barrel, that is at least 20 years old. It is a smoot bore and I can check but I'm guess ther is no restriction / choke to the barrel at all.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bruce, yes you can but it's a total waste of money because they don't pattern worth a hoot. I shot these out of a B 303 with a imp-cyl and a Winchester mod.50 with a cyl bore barrel with rifle sights. I also shot them in the 303 with a rifled choke tube and didn't like the grouping at all. Sabots are designed for use with a fully rifled barrel and some are mighty impressive at 100 yards and more!!

Gene, I know you stated you'd just like to see that done at 100 yards but don't bet any money on it not being possible either! You'd lose your money!

Hap

18. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Damn Brian, it took two slugs to down that monster?! Tom Rhoads

19. Brian in Oregon

Well considering the dense brush and how fast he was moving I wanted to make sure I hit him. The second slug went into him before he went down, and he went down fast. That's why I like gas-autos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.